1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I don't mind the OC's if they are well written and the OC's in this story are very good.

2. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I like the OC in this story.

It's just... the story itself went off the rails when Voldemort became Joe-lvl powerful.

3-4/5* prior Voldemort becoming stupidly powerful. Now it's a 2/5.

*I'm being vague with my rating because it's been years since I read the entire story.

3. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Yeah. Nuclear war, the fall of the secrecy , the dragon rampage and the magical creature cluster fuck really turned it off for me. So, a 2/5 from me.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

The story would immediately be a star-grade higher if they simply added the suffix -ist after every incarnation of the word "elemental."

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Elemental is fine.

Yeah... no.

6. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

I remember reading this story years ago. I stopped reading it when Harry traveled to the other dimension (it was from an accident with time-turners, right?) and like kept making fun of canon Harry or something. I also seem to recall a weird midscape thingy with the Elder Wand that left a bad taste in my mouth. I also remember the OC chick trying to burn Harry alive, I think.

It was a weird story, to say the least.

7. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The real weird parts come when Harry returns to his original dimension and time-line.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I just finished reading what is there of Harry Potter and the Elemental's Power, and damned if I didn't enjoy the experience. It's not the most well written story out there, in fact until about chapter 20 or so, it was almost a painful experience, but man I had fun reading it once all the weird shit started picking up. It helps that all of the comments about nuclear war and overpowered characters had me going in expecting a Michael Bay movie, chock full of explosions and shiny shit, and man I wasn't disappointed.

9. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

This story was quite fun to read. I'll post it for review if it gets updated again.

10. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Ya. I was following that one until suddenly, the updates stopped unexpectedly.

11. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are like 10 grammar mistakes in the first 2 sentences. Hell no.

12. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I was hesitant to post this, but I suppose I really should. This is one of, if not the most compelling take on a Soul Bond I have read. It's certainly interesting, and the story is supposed to be transitioning from its current character drama focus to action in the next couple chapters.

I was hesitant to toss it out there, but there's enough here now at 70K or so words that I feel it's worth it. Honestly, if the story doesn't go completely round the bend it would probably be a library-worthy piece. I just think it's a damn shame that the author compromised the story to a degree by acknowledging that it is H/Hr story. He hadn't in the first couple chapters as I recall, but got really fed up with people complaining about not knowing or something and caved.

it's the best H/Hr story I have seen in months on end. Which doesn't say much I guess.

13. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I do find the "soul bond done right" laughable, as the only thing resembling a soul bond in hp canon is the soul bit stuck in Harry's head.

Gonna give it a shot as a cliche done right is like catnip.

14. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I was honestly surprised by Error. It just feels like a great guilty read. I enjoyed the shit out of the Weasley twins, and although ridden with a few cliches I found some of the twists quite interesting.

Probably a solid 4/5 just for the the twist on a couple of characters that I haven't seen before.

15. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Title: Family Bonds.

Author: Desert Rose.

Summary:When, after that fateful Halloween night, the wrong Potter twin is hailed the Boy Who Lived, how will Harry's life turn out? With a power he knows not, an ancient prophecy and one Severus Snape practically raising him, interesting at least is a given.

The premise is cliched and certain characters are very OOC. However, one positive I took from this is the lack of bashing. The characters are developed slowly and carefully and what made me post this here is the magical system and the cool magical ideas.

Alchemy is explored to the micro-level and ritual magic, mind-arts and everything related to magic are written in a detailed fashion.

The pairing is Harry/Fleur. So, that counts as a plus.

This features an ancient prophecy, a super prodigy!Harry(Very well done) and a truly reformed Severus Snape.

It's length is close to 3.5 lakh words and it has many cool original ideas.

The downside is the 'caring' Snape and the fact that the author makes mistakes in the technical aspect of her writing.

Give it a try.

Link:Here

The update rate is quite good. A 6k chapter every Saturday. The beginning can be a bit dull and cliched, but the story gradually improves leaps and bounds when Alchemy comes into play.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  16. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I've read up to chapter 6. It has all the bad things you can expect from a wrong boy who lived story, with Harry being forgotten or Adrian going to be trained later.

And Snape is kind of taking care of Harry when Lily and James are alive. The stupidity of that is staggering.

Oh and there's a stupid 'better' prophesy involved.

The second the fic threw this at me:

I closed it, although I should have sooner.

Not really a step up from Mohan123456's recomendations, Rache.

17. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I read this as a guilty pleasure every week I considered reccing it here earlier, but I knew everyone would fucking hate it. The stated pairing is Harry/Ginny although atm it's light Harry/Fleur. It's likely that after 4th year they will break up as it was more of a summer romance type deal, then we'll be stuck with the like beast talker Ginny.

This fic is absolutely FILLED wtih cliches and fucking weird characterizations. But it's still pretty interesting. Most of the problems stem from the fact that it feels like it's some slash fan girl writing, and dear god is Snape fucking out of character. Harry as a protagonist feels like a girl. His "bromance" wtih Neville is absolutely terrible. Again, it feels like they are both girls. Not to mention its confusing as fuck when he refers to Neville as his brother constantly when he HAS A FUCKING TWIN.

Thre are loads of problems wtih this story, but I've found it strangely interesting, and as its one of the few VERY consistently updating stories, I still follow it. It's a very well done super Harry at least, which is probably the best part of the fic. 3/5 for me, proabably lower for everyone else.

edit: Oh yeah that Merlin part is absolutely horribad. Let me add that to my pet peeves. Anytime someone fucking calls Merlin a retarded name like Myrdin Emrys, or Merlin Abrosious or some shit. Can't Merlin just be fucking Merlin anymore?

double edit: oh and the part where he makes a philosophers stone at age 11 or 12 was stupid too. God I forgot how many moments like that there are in this fic.

18. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Like I said, the story is ridden with cliches that make it a chore to get through the first chapters. Everything changes when Nicholas Flamel comes into the picture.

The story isn't brilliant by an means. It's just another average story. However, the story gets better and better as you keep reading and turns good at the end of Harry's third year.

And the story does a review count have close to 4,000 reviews. Trust me, the author improved, but didn't come back to edit the initial chapters.

And damn you @Nauro. Read on before you start mocking me, which is all you do. There is a reason I changed my username. No need to open old wounds and the troll fest I orchestrated when 7-8 months ago.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You deserve mocking on the grandest scale imaginable.

20. frantic

frantic Boosted

You do realize that trolling implies that you meant to do it? In your previous recommendations, you weren't trolling, you were just being a giant cockgobbling fucktard.

No offense.

Not open for further replies.