1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I actually enjoy it more than the early parts; sure there are issues, but the whole "I'm like Ochi but GOOOOOOOOOOOOD" started to grate pretty hard.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Speaking of Ouroboros, what think you of the latest update? I personally loved it. The characterization of Minato is perfect, and I like Naruto's attitude and thought process.

I'm kind of apprehensive on how Akatsuki will stand up against Minato, and what the author will change to make this possible.

3. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I was really not a fan; he tried to make the dialogue snappy as well as back and forth and it failed in my opinion. Retorts and having characters turn their words back on each other is not in the authors repertoire.

4. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Are there any good/decent other village Naruto stories out there?

5. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

You lot been keeping up with Daybreak? Naruto isn't a Konoha-nin now, but that's a recent development. It updates pretty regularly, and it's definitely in my top five.

6. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

I will say I am finding Daybreak continuse to be fascinating and surprising. It has no fear in going in new directions or with Naruto's character growth.
    Or killing. No problems there.

7. purple

Yeah, I've been following Daybreak. I was just looking for other stuff, running out of new stories to read.

8. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

what is the link for those who have not been following or even heard of Daybreak?

9. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

10. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    SPOILER SHIT LIKE THAT, DAMNIT.

11. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    While I admit to having been spoiled myself (it's been over a dozen chapters since I was caught up with Daybreak), there's no way to list the story in the context of the question without spoiling that bit of plot. At least the details were withheld.

I enjoy Naruto: Ouroboros (though admit it's a bit of a guilty pleasure) and regard the quality of writing and originality to be borderline Library quality. The story is still updating continually.

The premise is that the 4th survived, the 3rd died, Naruto is some years older than in canon, and has a little sister who is the jinchuriki. His parents, not sure what to do with a precocious, hyper-intelligent child whom they haven't the time to nurture, give him over to Orochimaru to foster. Years later, Naruto is sent to confront Orochimaru when the extent of the latter's experimentation is revealed. The story picks up from there.

The advertised pairing is Naruto/Mei, for those who don't wish to read the text below, which addresses Purple's question:

Naruto is ordered by his father to Kiri for a time, fighting as one of Mei's ninja, wearing their headband as he revamps their science facilities, faces down a few of the missing Swordsman and their jinchuriki, etc. Earlier in the story, he seeks to take over Oto and Orochimaru's missing laboratories in Orochimaru's absence, setting himself up as the de facto Kage of Sound. As of the exchange with his father last chapter, though recalled to Konohagakure, Naruto seems headed toward missing-nin/Akatsuki status eventually.

12. purple

I've been following that for a while now too.

13. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

The Flash

Minato Centric fic, AU.

Basically, what if the Mist bloodline purges were the result of an Akatsuki-like group that intends to systematically wipe-out bloodline wielders from the world.

Also Minato's ability to
    Hiraishin is the result of him having a bloodline

The writing is somewhat choppy in parts and the PoV jumps around more than I'd prefer, but overall it's quite solid.

-

I looked through my favourites and didn't see any completed or currently updating stories where Naruto isn't a Konoha ninja.

14. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

15. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I've been trying to read Ouroboros, and I've had to skim a lot of it. His sentence structure and phrasing is a bit off, but that's to be expected. Other than the confusing dialogue and run-on sentences, it's decent.

EDIT: I know this ain't story search, but what the hell -

I can remember only a few details of the fic - Orochimaru had his memory erased and became a farmer, and later returned to lead Otogakure. And if I'm not getting my fics mixed up, Naruto was raised by Madara? Minato is still the Hokage as well, and Itachi kidnapped Naruto once Akatsuki realized he was the Jinchuuriki of the kyuubi.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  16. purple

Signs Pretty sure this is it, been following it too. I like it even if it takes forever between updates.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  17. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Thanks guy. I'd have never found it on my own.

18. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Hey, I have a weird question for you lot. Just this night, I read a small story on Kakashi accidentally arriving at modern world. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6781193/1/Farblondzhet
    The first two chapters I laughed a lot, and the last one was meh, and it has been a year since these three were posted. (In the middle of the night, the story felt like 4/5, with the exception of the average third chapter - it is a spin off of Aberration story - an oposite concept of a modern day person getting stuck in Narutoverse without any special powers, money or chakra. Arguably, she has a brown belt involved - about 4.5/5 in the middle of the night and the reason I read the second story at all)

Anyway - are there any stories of similar premise - a Naruto shinobi in the modern world? I'm sure that there's bound to be some more (I vaguelly remember one guilty pleasure one where Naruto travels to modern world by accident and found a version of Sakura who is a civilian. It's a cheesy love story with a few jumps back and forth, yet I remember being amused at Naruto adjusting. That story took away his chakra for a while too, making him a bit less of a ninja, but still)
    Anything out of the possible heaps of piss poor stories that's worth a look?

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Will of Fire, Heart of Stone.
    This is a mostly Hiruzen-centric fic. Pretty awesome, imo. I've half a mind to put it up for review, but I want to see what people think of it first. There are some parts that make me wary of giving it 4/5, but on the whole, it definitely deserves that rating.
    There no news on the sequel as far as I know.

Edit: Sorry Nauro, nothing for you.

20. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This is very enjoyable, and it is still after several years one of my favorite Naruto stories. That said, it's a guilty pleasure rather than anything truly deep and insightful. Much like the author's other stories, there's something inherently overpowered about the protagonists as a whole and that weighs the stories down in my opinion. If you want a story about a badass Hiruzen and a story that's focus isn't really on the whole Naruto climbing the ranks ect then this is for you. I find it just a really fun fic really.