1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #3 - Randomness

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, I noticed. It's honestly bad. Makes me feel more and more like he's scumbuddies with someone who he was relying on for assistance in crafting posts, which only strengthens the links I saw earlier. i.e. Castiel remains a possible candidate since he's up to his neck in pressure himself, Rubicon just showed up so let's see what happens there. Sesc also come on to the scene relatively recently, but I think he'd have coached Kaemrynn better and faster. Pretty much all the rest have been here for a decent amount of time.

2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

In Dresden's Dillemma, Bill Door said that the plan of Molly roleclaiming distracted from scum-hunting, so not the same thing. If you're referring to Karma Hunt, instead, where the plan was for the Innocent role to claim and be lynched, that move was part of bigger shenanigans that would have pretty much assured town the win. But that game was broken, so it hardly counts.

I can't remember anything else.

Riley: I can't remember if Castiel did that in the past, either. Do you remember the game?

3. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

@ Stojil: I can't remember exactly which ones, but I believe Gotham's Revenge, at least one of the Dresden ones and one of his first games. I can't be assed to look through hundreds of mafia pages for it though, sorry. I just know he's done this kind of tactic before, usually with stupid results and everyone flipping out and telling him to stop being an idiot for lynching himself. (They're right though).

4. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

In response to Bill's attempt at pressuring me, I'm null-leaning-town about Stojil, because I'm skeptical that Stojil would have killed jwlk.

I've played with town!Riley and scum!Riley. This doesn't look like scum!Riley to me.

I don't know if Castiel is scum, but it's like this. Castiel, Riley and Kaemrynn, if town, practically wear signs on their backs saying "mislynch bait". So I'm not especially surprised that we find ourselves focusing a lot on those three, yesterday and today.

If we do lynch Castiel, then no, we shouldn't use Sesc's plan. It's an inherently anti-town suggestion. We shouldn't give people an excuse to lynch anyone unless they're willing to commit to thinking that person is scum.

I preferred a Fen lynch over a Castiel lynch, for the reasons in post 138, so this is sort of true. Except I was trying to divert votes, not attention.

What did you find interesting about it?

5. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Are you calling me a worm on a hook Rubicon?

That's low...even for you. -.O

6. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Unvote
    Vote: Rubicon

It's been a while since I asked you to give us three scumreads. Include Bill Door or not, it's your choice, but post them and with explanations, please.

Kaemrynn (2): Castiel, Riley Poole
    Castiel (2): Moridin, fontisian
    Rubicon (2): Bill Door, Uncle Stojil

Abstaining: all the remaining ass-hats
    Completely absent: Kaemrynn, Eidolonic

Day 2 ends in about 25 hours.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A pressure vote on someone completely mia, a vote on someone who is metaing town and two votes on Rubicon by some of my least favorite people at the moment. Tempting.

8. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

God-fucking-dammit. Vote someone else, then! Is it that complicated?!

9. Koalas

High Score:
    Vote:Stojil

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I think there were still question open; I'm getting to them later. Just a quick vote now so that Stojil doesn't get a stroke, and because I want to see what happens :p

11. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Are You a Werewolf and Mini Mafia 1 :(

Short of a seer scan, we can't be sure of any living player's allegiance to town. Kaemrynn's is lurking far beyond normal UTRness, so I'd like to know if he is still playing or if Eido is trying to get him replaced. Lynching him now because he might be scum without some solid reasoning is jumping the gun, IMO.

Yet you're voting with him.

You know, I tried this as a townie once to save myself.
    It didn't work.
    I could see this as a scum tactic to look like a derp town.

OK. Why?

Again, what is your reasoning?

Kalas: Can you give me your full analysis of Stojil?

---------- Post automerged at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Are you going to follow this up Sesc?

12. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Mod Note - If Kaemrynn doesn't post by day end, I'll find a replacement for him overnight.

13. Kaemrynn

Kaemrynn Fourth Year

Hey guys. Let me start by apologizing. And then apologizing again. And a little more apologizing. As I explained to Eido in my QT, my ISP refuses to cooperate with me and I have been going round and round with them. Apparently, an 18 year old doesn't understand the differences between a modem and a router, or how they actually work. I wanted to cunt-punt the customer service chick that I had to talk to.

Regardless of my rampage, I have to withdraw and Eido will find a replacement for me. It really sucks that my first mafia game had to go like this, making it seem like extreme noobishness on my part. Hopefully you guys finish strong and maybe when I get this all figured out, I can try and participate in any future mafia games.

Oh, and Eido, I would like Observer priveleges, I forgot to mention that in the QT.

14. Moridin

Why? "I would never be that obvious, honestly. I'm a better player than that." An easy defense that leaves the purpose behind the killing up to WINE, while getting rid of a player Stojil didn't like.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but I don't see the justification for being skeptical about it as even remotely valid.

Why? Also, I hate metareads. They are practically impossible to justify, and are often used in place of in-game reads which are much more useful and informative. There may be exceptions, of course, but even those need to be adequately justified.

Fair enough. Who else should we be looking at, then? Why?

Calling these three mislynch bait implies you think they are town - hence the mislynch. Do you? Are you saying that we should disregard them because they are easy targets?

If we do lynch Castiel, yes, it should be only if we think he's the best target after a day of deliberation. Should we lynch Castiel? What information would we get from lynching him? Is there someone else whose death would be more useful? Who would you be willing to commit to lynching at this point?

Except this says practically nothing about Castiel - or, for that matter, Fenraellis.. It points out the shaky logic in two of the votes for him (and, as I said, I disagree with you on Bill's being bad), but fails to address anything else about why people voted for him. At no point do you actually consider which of the two is scummier. You talk about the initial wagon and people trying to lynch Castiel, but not about either of the candidates directly. The post smacks of scum trying to hedge their bets for whenever the lynched person turns up town. "I did say I didn't know Fen's alignment, I was just voting for him for the information!" No.

It's a read from one of the first persons to vote for Castiel. That alone makes it interesting, since it's one of the early contributions to that wagon. Beyond that, look at the reasoning. This is where he claims Castiel attacked him, which looks to be a misread of what Castiel was actually saying. You could have picked up on that and challenged Kaemrynn's vote, generating discussion on that point. There's also a good point about Castiel's posts around then being generally bad. All in all, if you wanted to talk about people voting for Castiel for wrong reasons and draw attention to the problems with the bandwagon, you would have at least mentioned this.

There's a reason I said divert attention, not divert votes. It doesn't look like you wanted to generate discussion about the two major candidates, and use that discussion as an avenue to push for a Fenraellis lynch. It looks like you wanted people to move off discussing Castiel and start talking about Fenraellis, and come to consider him scummy in a vacuum, instead of comparing the two of them.

This makes the second time this game you have failed to answer my question. The first time, you missed it, then gave a barebones answer that you have yet to update. Now you try turning my question back on me instead of coming up with an adequate analysis (which, incidentally, is the same thing you did vs Sesc, and I don't like how you seem to be looking to pressure others rather than respond to pressure on yourself). Fair enough, I played your game. Now give your opinion. Also, you missed some of my questions back in my big post - there was some stuff above the doublepost line also aimed at you.

Generally, I don't like your last post at all. It says absolutely nothing that would need to be defended, and leaves you so many outs it's crazy. If Stojil turns out to be scum, you can say you were surprised by his audacity, and in the meantime you avoid talking about what he's actually said. If Riley is scum, you put it down to misreading his playstyle and mislynch bait not necessarily meaning town. If Castiel or Kaemrynn are revealed as scum, the latter reasoning applies again. You avoid giving your own opinion as far as humanly possible, and when pressured on the point you say little.

Unvote

---------- Post automerged at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Hmm, okay. Hope your problems get sorted out and your next game goes better.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Of course, fonti. I was just waiting for Rubicon to do something, but at this point, I know he has seen it. Stojil wanted the rest of my impressions: Moridin town-ish, for the same reason as fontisian (I like the posts, fontisian did the exact same analysis I did in my qt), BillDoor odd, his (rare) comments with actual substance don't fit with my view of the game, and Kaemrynn was too silent not to become suspicious, but that's been resolved, so he gets a null read.

And Moridin, I hope I would do a better job coaching Kaemrynn. His posting style is so not mine it hurts >_>

Finally, regarding the idea to lynch Castiel for info and the problems of killing discussion: So far, it seems to have worked out alright :p I'm still partial to that idea, as I'd really like to know whether Mafia was trying to defend one of their players, or just split votes because both were Town.

Unvote

Vote: Castiel

16. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Right, Rubicon has started to play now, so Rescind Vote: Rubicon

We have about ten and a half hours left in the day and aren't anywhere near a lynch. It';s a bit of a dick move to lynch Kaemrynn if he isn't able to play at the moment. So I guess we're back to where we were yesterday, Lynch vote: Castiel

17. Moridin

Are you honestly okay with Rubicon's post, Bill? What about you, Sesc?

Ten hours is a fair bit of time, and plenty of people have yet to weigh in since the middle of today. There's no need to wrap this up just yet. The time's shifting around such that we should be getting a little more activity soon, and I'd like to hear from more people - especially Castiel. Just shutting up and dying is not the town thing to do, and I want to see his reads on people and opinions beyond Kaemrynn if he really is town and wants to show it.

Seems that way, yeah, even though not as much was said as I prefer enough people have been talking that it's not as much of a problem as I feared. I'm leaving my vote where it is for now, and definitely looking for more from Rubicon, though.

18. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I think that it's not as bad as what Castiel has been saying, asking to be lynched always comes off as desperate scum to me.

19. Moridin

Like Riley said, this is a trend with Castiel. He's done this before, multiple times, and despite people always telling him it's stupid he still thinks it's a good idea.

Do I still think he's scum that needs to be lynched? Yeah, absolutely. I'm just not as sure he's as bad as Rubicon. But that view is based on the whole of what he's said, and I'd be wary of judging him just for being suicidal.

Also, that doesn't really answer my question. If you want to lynch Castiel, fine. I'd argue that you should probably have a better reason, but regardless you can still pressure and note suspicions about other players. Are you okay with what Rubicon said? If so, say so, and why. If not, say so, and why.

20. Koalas

High Score:
    That's sidestepping the question and you know it.

---------- Post automerged at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

Farking ninjas.

---------- Post automerged at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

@fonti: To answer your question though, there's no single post, no smoking gun. Just this feeling. How Moridin's been today? That's how Stojil should have been right out the gate. This game though, especially early on? Just feels off. I don't like how Bill pretty much got a free pass till I forced an opinion and I really don't like today's first post.