1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Sistat Inter Bitu pe Marvos by Cervus - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Skeletaure, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

great chapter. I love how everyone is written with cannon-ish attitudes and how I assume they will slowly change instead of just waking up one morning with a complete new personallity.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yes, you did, and all of them were proven to be fallacies by other peoples posts, so I wanted a new argument.

Your posts seemed to imply otherwise, therefore it was justified. You are right, people are willing to look the other way when it doesn't affect them -- but thats not just the HP Universe bro, that's real life. The difference is a pre-requisite for a Happy! Harry is a Living! Harry. He's better off alive and unhappy than with 3 years of happiness and then death.

No one person is infalliable, a point upon which I am sure we can agree; with Snape and Quirrell being prime examples of this. Dumbledore generally wants the children of Hogwarts to be generally shielded and he makes mistakes that come with age.

The most overlooked problem with the first year Scenario is that while 3 of the problems confronting a possible thief do play strongly in favor of the strengths of Harry Ron and Hermione, others do not. For instance the Troll and the Devils Snare -- in each instance luck was what got them through.

Also as I understand it Dumbledore has yet to be able to keep a DADA teacher for more than a year for 30-some odd years. By this point he is probably scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of qualified applicants. He was probably glad that Quirrell would even consider taking the job.

If you are referring to Crouch Jr. as Moody, he fooled everybody. His only slip up was removing Harry from Dumbledore's sight.

The Dementors 'going after Harry' during third year is an interesting argument. They went into the train compartment (where Peter Pettigrew was in his Animagus form), they went to a Quidditch Match where Harry was not the target but the whole stadium was, and they chased after him while he was in the company of Sirius Black -- a man who was an escaped prisoner who they were to give the dementors kiss to.

Finally, I do not think that he was fully aware of what transpired during the Occlumency sessions. Snape was one of his trusted associates (a trust seemingly misplaced) and he was restricted to taking Snape's word for it due to his foolish attempt to fool Voldemort into thinking that he was not very close to Harry.

My belief is that Dumbledore wants to manipulate Harry towards the light side, but I doubt that any of Harry's Year-End 'missions' were really 'missions'. In other words, he is a well meaning old man who has divorced himself from reality after dealing with a lifetime of war. Hardly Merlin... But his character (like Merlin) was only human.

3. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

You know what? Harry is one person. He may be the most important person in the wizarding world, due to the prophecy, but he's still only one person. I'm sure that with Voldemort's demise, Dumbledore had more important things to do than make sure that a kid had a happy, loving household. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, you have Harry savior of the wizarding world, and only a baby. He has living family that will provide him much-needed protection if he is placed in their care. The only thing that McGonagall had to say about them was:

As you can see, she didn't paint the Dursleys out to be a "hateful household," she just said that they would never be able to understand this celebrity.

On the other hand, you have the rest of the Wizarding World, most likely in a turmoil from Voldemort's unexpected demise. There will be Ministry positions to fill, order to be established and criminals on the loose to be apprehended.

So, Dumbledore has a choice: ensure Harry's happiness, but not necessarily his survival, or ensure Harry's survival, but not necessarily his happiness, and go help to fix the Wizarding World. Personally, I would say that he made a very good choice based on the information he had at hand.

4. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I'm sure there have been other fics where Harry and his friends have slowly drifted apart, I just can't remember at the moment. I've been lazy and didn't get out of bed too long ago... I'm still tired.

I'm really trying to keep things pretty close to cannon near the beginning, and slowy change things to the way I want them.

The H/G scene, in my opinion, was needed. I didn't think it would be realistic, coming out of HBP, to have Ginny act like a petulant little princess. This is a girl that Harry really liked and he didn't break up with her because he no longer liked her, he broke up with her to keep her save. So I thought it would be realistic that he still held some feelings for her. Regardless, Harry and Ginny are now over... at least in this story anyway.

I enjoyed writing the Harry/McGonagall scene for some reason. She's going to have her hands full is old McG.

Won't be long until you meet... someone.

Drats! Do you mean your going to give up when you get to the Dobby/Winky BDSM scene? Perhaps I should make it a little less... graphic... so you'll be able to handle it.:)

Well done on getting those first words! If you got them right, of course.

Thank you. I haven't read many post HBP fics myself so I don't know how it compares to others. Your words bring a smile to my face though.:)

I'm glad you like it so far. Who's to say, however, that this story won't feature MilfHunter!Harry?

To everyone else thank you! Reading this thread has been most... interesting.

5. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I liked the new chapt. You can sometimes go by this rule: If Harry can put Molly Weasley in her place and make her stfu then it will usually be a non pussy Harry fic. I like how you let Harry and Ginny end things as well.

6. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    MILFHUNTER!HARRY!!!

Damn, and here I was thinking I was the only one who watched those movies. Cerv you perverted lil thing you!

7. Kiklo

Kiklo Seventh Year

Just read the 2 chapters, and I will definitely continue reading your story. It has great potential, and I love how you made Harry handle all the situations. Ginny's pussy crying pissed me a bit though, but Harry snapping at Molly makes up for it. Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the updates.

8. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I've just updated again. Please review, they make me feel all warm and cuddly inside. Thank you.

9. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Great chapter. Torres was a freaky bastard. Hopefully, there training will start in the next chapter. After Torres and Ieuru are we going to find out who the others are; or is Harry only going to Torres and Ieuru?

10. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Yep. Torres was great, especially his bipolar-ness. I really liked the chapter once he got to Brazil, but his goodbye party was unenjoyable. It was a necessary evil, though, that I understand. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

I'm really looking forward to the difference between the Harry in this chapter, and the Harry after Torres is done with him. That will be fascinating to see, and if you pull it off well (of which I have no doubt ;)) it'll be the turning point in your story. It's already good, but after that transformation, I'm betting that it'll be on the road to greatness.

Once again, good job, keep it up and update soon.

11. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Must I say it once again.

GOOD CHAPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the part after the party like someone else said. I thought i might lose any food I have eaten from the past few days when I read the Harry trying to catch Ginny's attention part, BUT then I remembered this is still more or less canon Harry not AU Harry.

Overall 9/10

12. Kalen_Darkmoon

Kalen_Darkmoon First Year

I guess I just expect Harry to learn from his mistakes and to question his trust in those who have lied, betrayed, withheld things from, or so repeatedly failed him. Worst-case example: It makes no sense for Harry to continue to blindly follow Dumbledore after so many failures on Dumbles part. Dumbledore left him to be raised by abusive relatives, has hired a possessed servant of Voldie in 1st year, allowed Dementors to get at him in 3rd year (during the Quidditch game was completely preventable), hired a death eater disguised as an auror in his 4th year, forced him to compete in a deadly tournament he was not legally qualified for and that allowed him to fall directly into Voldie's hands. We won't get into the torture he was forced to endure under Umbridge 5th year.

I agree that Dumbledore can't be expected to be perfect. He is, after all, only human. However, I find it absurd that after so many serious blunders, that a teenage boy (much less the rest of the wizarding world) would still blindly trust and follow such a person. Everyone seems to treat Dumbledore as infallible, both in Canon and this story.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  13. Roguelyvisage

Roguelyvisage First Year

Very nice origonal character in Marques Torres, at least so far. Seems a bit like a more violent version of moody.

14. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Shut the fuck up. No one cares what you think about Dumbledore. Can you try concentrating on the story, instead of "Oh noes, Dumbledore made mistakes; I was abused; I can relate to a fictional character."

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  15. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

Like the mob said, good job with Torres. He seems to be a more 'professional' version of Moody, less talk and more hexing. The way you wrote the leaving scean seemed IC and believable, your characterization of Kingsley was nice as well.

16. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

When you write a fic then use all that shit. Till then shut the fuck up and don't ruin cervus's thread with that shit.

Cervus, keep up the good work. Read good fic,like this, makes me want to write, which I will right after my classes finish up on tuesday.

17. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

An interesting read, it has a lot of potential to create a decent skilled Harry without him simply waking up one morning all knowing. The ambush scene was enjoyable and realistic, the skills that Harry showed were consistent with cannon and neither over or under powered. Torres seems like just the sort of person to give Harry and edge and allow him to become ruthless without it seeming contrived. A well written and interesting story.

P.S. I think I have translated the title, an interesting language you used for that.

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Would you please focus on the story that this thread was created for. Talk about Dumbledore's and Harry Potter's short-comings somewhere else, a place more suited for it.

Create a thread perhaps? Or find one suited to the topic.

Okay, yeah, it started off about the story, but when it started getting into the second/third/fourth posts, it just doesnt need to be in this particular thread. That's all.

Cervus, keep up the good work. Boto Dolphin ftw. Cervus will understand that.

19. Haunted Warrior

Haunted Warrior Fifth Year

Nice work on the new chapter. I like the name Mars Tower, and now I have clues to which language the title is in! I think.

Anyway, I loved Torres and he's got a great personality. He's basicly Moody, just more vicious and likes to keep the people for interragation. Army interragation as well! I look forward to what he can teach Harry.

20. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Just read it and it continues to be very, very, very good. All the characters are IC (exept Harry in parts - HE'S NOT POSH :p And he would never call Dumbles 'Albus'). I loved the Torres sequence - very nice and original.

The way you dealt with Ginny was great and Mad-Eye in particular was outstandingly portrayed.

Great work. I look forward to your next updates.