1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

Wasn't Applied Cultural Anthropology already mentioned a couple pages ago?

And as a title is supposed to be somewhat eye-catching, I find no fault with it.

2. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

It's title is also a copy of some Fate/stay night story.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Eureka! or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love Structual Analysis

Which is also based on Dr. Strangelove.

4. redshell

redshell Order Member

There's a difference between eye-catching and just plain eyesore. Also, summaries > titles. A book could be titled Steampunk Magitechnology Western and still be complete shit, but the title makes it sound awesome.

5. Photon

Photon Order Member

6. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

That's the review board.

7. Photon

Photon Order Member

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The Library is The Library.

The Review Board is where stories fight to the death, gladiator style, to be allowed to enter The Library. The ones which die miserable deaths on the floor of the Review Board never made it in.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What yak said. All the filth we regularly get in for review definitely does not belong in the library.

As for the fic, well, it's Pers, but I can't really get behind it.

10. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Either way I think it is heaing towards the library. I actually reckon it deserves its' spot, best Hermione-centric story I've read. It should have a place in the library if only to showcase how it should be done. Most issues are more due to a distaste in the "genre/Hermione focus" itself rather than the actual story.

11. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

I agree, this one is worth reading, but isn't as good as some of his other fics.

12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    "Secret Santa" stories have this problem of a hard deadline, unfortunately, which means the author can't always tweak them into quality like he can some other stories.

I believe it's properly "Almost Recommended"--appealing to some, perhaps as a guilty pleasure, though not to others, and definitely not something I'd expect to see showing up in the Library.

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Gods Among Us Author: arturus Fate is a funny thing sometimes. Harry Potter and his friends survived their trial by fire and defeated Voldemort. A year has past and Hermione Granger is apprenticed as a Curse Breaker. When she discovers an ancient tomb she talks Harry in to helping with the excavation. Now they are trapped and they'll need a miracle to survive.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Sci-Fi/Adventure - Harry P. - Chapters: 9 - Words: 63,868

It's a Battlestar Galactica Crossover. The author seems to understand the BSG universe better than HP since there are a few fanon ideas in the story that area annoying to the die hard HP fan (Point Me spell as something other than a compass, Hermione being referred to as Mione, etc.) It's not god awful and easily ignored once you get past the first couple of chapters. If you rage whenever Mione is mentioned then this isn't the story for you.

Plot: They hook up with the BS Triton soon after the Cylon invasion and shit happens. Later the Triton hooks up with Galactica (chapter 6 or 7) and more shit happens.

For people that follow JBern's Next Lord of Kobal, it's something to read while you're waiting for the next chapter of that to come out.

I think it fits well in the AR and rate it a 3/5 (above guilty pleasure, but not by much) It's not without its problems as I listed above. Spelling and Grammar are decent with the occasional error.

There is an H/Hr pairing, but it's only one scene and it really doesn't have much to do with the ongoing plot, and it's somewhat useless other than to have a pairing in the story.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm... I have a personal rule against reading stories with errors in the titles or summaries ("has past")... but I seriously love BSG... tricky situation.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So. Um. Saw this in the story search thread at 2 am, was bored, decided to give it a try. Surprisingly not bad if you can get past the initial premise. Characterizations are interesting, most are done fairly well while a few are played off for laughs. Writing is pretty good too. Actually has a plot, actually has interesting things happening. Might even be library-worthy. Not sure.

16. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

I read the first chapter.

Nearly put a bullet in my skull right there. I'm impressed at how uniquely it manages to bash Dumbledore and promote Voldemort, but just because it has a unique premise doesn't mean it's good.

A pity too, since that actually sounded relatively interesting.

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You should keep going and just assume it's straight AU, because it is. It's not really any more ridiculous than canon was, in certain respects.

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

It's worse. To maintain suspension of disbelief, one needs to disregard all he knows about canon Harry Potter and Voldemort. Or just drink an entire bottle of vodka.

The idea of re-imaged Voldemort falls apart, when in couple of sentences he disregards Harry's grievances - i.e. the murder of Harry's parents and the attempted murder on Harry himself and excuses them as casualties of war and tries to convince Harry to work for him. What the fuck? My suspension of disbelief was shattered right there. It's barely readable.

19. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

The premise of the story is completely retarded, but other than that it's actually fairly good so far (through chapter 5).

20. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Lol!! Why not both? Vodka always makes it better.

Not open for further replies.