1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, Harry tries to use occlumency to protect the secret but Snape's legilimency overcomes it.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or he just cast it non-verbally. Legilimency does appear to require eye contact (or mind-to-mind contact, as with Harry and Voldemort), but that doesn't mean the incantation needs to be spoken aloud. If you're good enough at silent magic, you should be able to use legilimency without anyone being any the wiser.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    True, except that silent magic and wandless magic are two very different things.

---------- Post automerged at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Huh, I'll have to go back and read that again. It's been a while.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't mention wandless magic at all. It's like apparation; there isn't an incantation, but you still need your wand.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, what? You need your wand to Apparate?

6. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

In DH, Ron seems convinced he can't Apparate without a wand, though IIRC it hadn't been a requirement before that scene in the Malfoy Manor.

7. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Ron sort of sucked at Apparition, if IIRC. Maybe, he specifically, couldn't Apparate without a wand.

8. Kingnick

Kingnick Squib

How different would things be had Grindelwald won against Dumbledore?

9. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

10. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

IIRC Cracked Mirror had an interesting bit of worldbuilding where Grindewald ruled Europe as an Emporer with all the ministers as his puppets. Muggleborn were accepted as necassary but weren't part of the ruling upper class and would be consorts/mistresses to those in power (Harry Potter being born the second son of James, but the first of his mistress Lily Evans).

It was an interesting universe that got wasted on one of the most crack-filled harem fics to grace the Internet.

11. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

Silly... Wizards can't put two and two together! Half of the HP books explain in detail how magic replaced common sense!

Speaking of Apparation, It's probably been a decade since I actually read the first HP book. Did harry actually apparate to the roof of some building with accidental magic or is that fanon?

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Accidental magic, which is generally wandless anyway.

13. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

It's canon in a sense, but whether he apparated or did some other form of accidental magic to get up on the roof is debatable.

14. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

Like what? Traveling Randland style? Apparation is pretty much the only unaided travel in HP. I guess he could've made a portkey though.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That'd be even more unlikely than accidental Apparation. Portkey creation is a spell requiring a wand, whereas the most important factor of Apparation apparently boils down to willpower.

16. Ched

I actually like the idea of Apparition requiring a wand, at least for wizards who aren't Dumbledore levels of awesome, but I can't remember it being made clear in the books. I don't count Harry's accidental magic, but did someone else do it while confirmed wandless? Someone mentioned Ron earlier.

17. Skeletaure

High Score:
    It's strongly implied that he jumped and got a boost, rather than apparated.

Didn't even occur to me that it would be possible to interpret it as apparition until I read fanfiction.

I think it's mostly wishful thinking on the part of the apparition interpreters, as accidental apparition is somewhat more impressive than boosting a jump. They prefer that interpretation so choose it.

A similar fanon propagation is the whole "hundred dementors" thing about PoA. We've never given a number, nor even a ballpark figure. But people like fanon which makes Harry seem more impressive.

18. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I've read a few stories that contributed it to him jumping up there, another claimed he temporarily changed into a bird and flew up onto the roof. Ridiculous? Yes. Beyond the realm of possibility? It's magic!

19. Ched

Eh, I assumed he disappeared and re-appeared (teleported, w/e) on my first read through, before I'd ever even heard of apparition. Every subsequent read-through it's been the same, and I hadn't even considered it might not have been til now.

But I'm perfectly willing to accept that it wasn't. Like I said, I prefer apparition requiring a wand.

20. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Well, wand or no, accidental magic doesn't need one so no issue there.

With respect to apparition, it does seem odd that wands were never mentioned until Malfoy Manor. One idea that I'm entertaining is that what is commonly referred to as apparition isn't really a single thing at all, but several varieties.

Maybe line of sight apparition is significantly different to long distance apparition. Maybe no wand is needed for the former (thus why no wands were mentioned in the HBP apparition lesson), but you do need one for the latter.

Maybe wands are the key to apparating to places you haven't been before.

Maybe they needed a wand not to apparate per se, but to apparate out of a dungeon i.e. to break through whatever spells might have been there to prevent them from leaving.

Not open for further replies.