1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Photon

Photon Order Member

Again - they have House Elves for this.

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

What really throws me is that food-to-food transfiguration shouldn't be much of a deal, but instead of eating ice cream smoothies or a bacon sandwich and chips every day, they cook mushroom soup.

"Hermione, could you turn my soup into a steak please?"

"Why don't you do it?"

"Last time I tried, it tasted like walnuts. I really appreciate the skill you show in making a steak reeeeeaallly taste meaty. You have a gift, Hermione."

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck that. Mushroom soup is delicious.

4. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

The real question is why didn't they just use the invisibility cloak and nick a bunch of food from markets?

I have an actual question though: is the undetectable extension charm so named because it cannot be detected magically (like through some sort of diagnostic spell if such a thing exists) or because the additional volume and mass would not be noticed by a cursory physical search of the object?

5. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Yes

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I lean towards the latter, but there's nothing to indicate either direction.

7. Photon

Photon Order Member

How it may be explained that Time-Turners are used only for attending extra classes? Why nobody used them to give warning that will arrive few hours into past or to attack multiple targets at one (or maybe even attack single target as group of multiple Voldemorts/Dumbledores)?

It is possible to find good explanations why Hermione received Time-Turner (DoM needed guinea pig in tests of long-term Time-Turner usage/political move by Ministry to demonstrate that they do not care about ICW guidelines on proper usage of Time-Turners/time machine is not considered as anything special by wizards/etc) but I see no good explanation for lack of usage in more serious situations.

8. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

This might be fanon, but I thought that you're supposed to make that you don't run into yourself when using a time-turner.

9. wordhammer

I appreciate a well-made mushroom soup. Harry didn't.

I'd like that steak medium-rare, and maybe turn some moss into baked potatoes, too.

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    It always seemed to me that it was more of a slight to Hermione's cooking abilities than to magic itself. I'm sure Molly could have made a delicious mushroom soup (or something rather more substantial) with the same ingredients.

I don't think Hermione is the type of person to bother learning cooking spells.

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The reason Time Turners are a joke is because you can't actually change the past.

12. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

Why did they go camping again? I'm reading Into the Wild, and living off the wilderness is pretty unrealistic. A lot of people die. Why didn't they just move from city to city, passing through muggle modes and stuff?

13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

They went to a town or village, but it was full of dementors. So did whole of UK fell to Dementors in DH

14. Andrela

Hah, it'd be hilarious if Voldemort let Dementors multiply as they please, but then they get to dangerous numbers and no longer feel obligated to listen to the Dark Lord.

15. wordhammer

See, this is a way that Ron's participation could have been given more value. He has a relationship with food that the others don't. His role in the trio, after all, is providing moral support, comedy and familiarity with doing things the magical way.

Wouldn't it have been cool if Harry & Hermione regretted Ron's betrayal just a bit more because everything they made tasted like dry chicken?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  16. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I made a field dressing spell for something I was writing... implicitly for the purpose of eventually having a clever and perhaps desperate Harry use it on someone in combat.

If it were an action movie, he'd be obligated to look at the results and fire off a cheesy one-liner like, "You're boned."

Pretty much what I'm thinking. Molly made a life out of keeping her family running on Arthur's income. Hermione... hadn't.

I think the extent of Hermione's domesticity, at least at that point in her life, extended only to knitting unwanted miniature clothing for house elves and folding Ron's underwear while fantasizing she'd gotten a hold of them the hard way.

17. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Was it ever stated when Nagini was made into a Horcrux?

18. Andrela

When Voldemort killed Frank Bryce, most likely.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    It was Bertha Jorkins' death, I believe. Can't remember where it was said...

Edit: it was an interview, not the books.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  20. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I would think it would have to be earlier (perhaps Bertha Jorkins?) as Voldemort has already shown a great deal of authority and affinity for the creature before he kills Frank Bryce.

Really I don't know why he hadn't created his sixth Horcrux much, much earlier. If he thought splitting the soul into seven parts would be the most magically powerful then why did he have six parts for such a long time — by some counts he had created five of the six Horcruxes by 1950.

EDIT: I believe this is the part where I say...Ninja'd.

Not open for further replies.