1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Without having read this story there are a few things here that I absolutely loathe about the above comment.

1. "Harry Potter and the Veela, a Z-Bond story, is god awful, besides the fact that the author recycles themes and OC's, it is the antithesis of a good story. But I guess you said it only borrows themes from this story so I guess I can't really judge, it's just an off-putting comparison, that's all.

2. Quidditch Superstar/Superpowered.

The problem with that combination means that Harry has almost no faults. He's a powerful superstar athlete (whom I assume, like most superstar athletes is adored by the public). Without clicking the link I'm willing to bet that Harry is described as extremely charismatic and attractive while also not really getting along with his family. It makes things too easy. You either have to choose one or the other, and if I'm being honest, the only story that pulls off the Quidditch thing is "A Game of Style and Brutality."

3. "one of the best portrayals of Merlin.."

I'll give it a quick shot but from your description it does not sound library worthy.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  2. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I suppose that's why he posted it here and not in for review.

3. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

God, its completely terrible in everything but the technical execution.

I am a great lover of wrong!bwl fics but this just has everything wrong with it. Our hero is the gay best friend of a group of 4 girl OC's, has pet elementals and just gah.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

There's so few Fleur/Harry stories out there, that I'm actually following that.

5. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Harry Potter and the Veela hasn't been updated in like forever. Rise from dust is not library material by any measure.

And Z-Bond is busy with his Mass Effect story. Atleast we know that the author hasn't abandoned the story or abandoned writing altogether.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Monroeslittle is one of my favorite authors, with some impressive fics. S/he even made me get into Hunger Games fanfiction; considering my dislike of the series, that's an impressive thing. I really liked her new story, but I'm not quite sure it's Library Material. Make of it what you will.

Just Stay Here Tonight
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9506432/1/Just-Stay-Here-Tonight
    AU. Lily Evans isn't a witch.
    Fiction M - English - Romance - Lily Evans P. & James P.

Illusions of Grandeur
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8957424/1/Illusions-of-Grandeur
    Angels, demons, and Winchesters have made it to the top of Harry's shit list, but first impressions are rarely right, and a glass of scotch can sooth anyone's temper. Starts mid season 3 and spans several seasons. Rated M for coarse language and mild violence.

This other story is a HP/Supernatural crossover that while not the greatest, is still better than 90% of that particular fandom.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Link to the first chapter please...

Also 90%? Where did you find those? All I have from Supernatural is slash stories and readable slash stories.

8. CrackedMind

Not to mention stories where Harry is secretly the son of John Winchester. I remember reading a decent one where Harry gets hounded by a Crossroads Demon, and another where Harry becomes the embodiment of death, and thus is peeved when Lucifer summons him...

But for the life of me, I can't find either.

9. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

This one was good. Not normally a fan of fics in this time period, but it was very well written and the characters seemed real. Not 100% sure what I'd rate it, but definitely at least 4/5.

I'll have to check out the other one when I have time. Never saw the series though, and the few that I have seen.... yeah, slashy stuff that wasn't worth the time.

10. CrackedMind

It's actually quite good, if at times a bit annoying. It's an AU Harry; he basically acts like Crowley, if Crowley lost everyone he loved and was as strong as Lucifer.

11. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Pretty much this, with slightly less homosexual subtext as well.

12. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm two sides about reccing this. On one hand it's incredibly rushed, massively clichéd, on the other hand it has one of the best manipulative Dumbledore I read in a while. And it's completed so that is a plus too.

If you want to compare it to some other fic, it kinda reminds me of Learning to Breath just not so extreme.

I wouldn't put it up for review, but for an almost rec is perfectly alright.

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I don't know, I'm so tired of Manipulative Dumbledore that it'd have to be a great read outside of that for me to even give it a shot. Is there any other redeeming quality about the fic, or is the way MD is written the only thing that made it stand out for you?

14. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    MD and probably Harry is good too, not too bamf and not too emo.

15. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

It gets points for:

1) Harry raised (sorta) by someone else: The Flamels.
    2) Harry actually being good at magic.
    3) Harry utterly rapes Voldemort because V and AD are so busy with their fight over the Hallows that neither sees the immense danger that Harry presents to both.

It loses points for:

1) Ridiculously manipulative AD.
    2) A katana. Really, Harry?
    3) A naginata. Really, Ginny?

I got a laugh out of it, but obviously, YMMV. It's cliched as hell.

16. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    I know and I said as much. At least it gave the katana a reason and purpose. Not like all those indy Harry fics where he feels drawn to a magical shadow penis katana and then never uses it.

17. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

An Advanced Course in Web Spinning.
    Summary:
    With the weight of Wizarding World on Harry's shoulders, he needs to find someone willing to help him sort through it all. Help comes from the most unlikely person, in the most unlikely way.
    Its basically a Harry/Narcissa fic.

A ~5 minute time waster for fans of the pairing like me. Sadly, for me, there was only a little bit of smut just at the end. :p

I get the feeling the Author just wanted to write a somewhat semi-plausible HPNM fic, which didn't outright suck.

He's almost succeeded. Its semi plausible but incredibly bland.

Its Post war and Epilogue Non-compliant. Lucious is dead in the war. Harry is basically a Bitch in this. Which is to say, Canon Harry.

2.5/5

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  18. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Agreed chuckle worthy, but the perfect example of sub!Harry aka canon!Harry. The smut scene was kinda weird.

However the idea of them choosing Harry as a Minister because he can stay alive is a good basic idea, I wouldn't mind seeing a good humor fic expanding on this. Maybe with a more bamf Harry.

3/5

EDIT:

So I read this. It's WIP and Harry/Luna which I like and a pretty AU wizarding world. Seriously overpowered Harry but it plays out.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  19. Jezebella

Jezebella Muggle

Title: Girl in the War
    Author: astridfire
    Rating: T

Pairing: fem!Harry/Draco Malfoy
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7793520/1/Girl-in-the-War

Warnings: It's a Girl!Harry AU! Only… Rose isn't Harry. She's Rose. It's like if James and Lily had Rose INSTEAD of Harry. Cause Rose? She's not Harry with breasts. Don't worry, she's very charming - she's James Potter's daughter, after all.

Summary: Who says you can't fight evil and be pretty? A Girl!Harry AU, starting with Rose Potter's first year at Hogwarts.

Basically what is says above.

Personally I consider it a guilty pleasure- not revolutionary by any means but a pleasant enough read. If an idea of Harry being a she doesn't piss you off then you should try it. At least grammar and vocabulary won't make you weep.

Solid 3/5.

20. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

If anything about that's likely to turn people off the fic it's not the Girl!Harry.

Edit: I am reminded of something nonjon wrote.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
Not open for further replies.