1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Photon

Photon Order Member

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5224898/1/Harry-Potter-Space-Wizard

"These are the voyages of the Wizard Ship Rotfang. Its continuing mission: to blunder aimlessly through the galaxy, leaving chaos in its wake. It's captain: Harry Potter. HP/SG1. One shot."

Oneshot crack by Taure turned to be really good combination. BTW, it is quite sad that space and astronomy is so ignored in fanfiction.

Obligatory link to Wizards in Space thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=448382#post448382

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Moderately sure everyone here already knows about it. It's in WBA.

yak
  3. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We know. We also think it's terrible. ;)

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd actually completely forgotten about it. :p Off to read it now.

5. Strider

Strider First Year

The Angel's War by The AngelsHaveThePhoneBox - K

Title: The Angel's War
    Author: TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox
    Rating: Fiction K
    Genre: Sci Fi/Adventure
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: NA
    Summary: SEQUEL TO THAT WHICH HOLDS THE IMAGE. Life. All normal and stuff. With jobs and houses and boring-y, woring-y things like that. Normality, as Harry Potter realises, does not attract mad men in little blue boxes, so any hope of seeing his old friend the Doctor again is pretty slim. But then Ginny Weasley notices the sky is falling, and everything goes completely to hell.
    Link: The Angel's War

I posted That Which Holds The Image a while ago and it got generally positive feedback. I've been following the sequel for quite some time but forgot to mention it here, so yeah. It's here now.

It's not bad, even with the Ginny stuff, but not much is happening so far for me to rate it confidently. Based on what I've read, I'd give it a tentative but solid 3.5/5. Good read, but the guy updates slowly.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Stunning Shifts is pretty good. Far better than the usual formulaic, fix-it dimension travel stories that litter the HP fandom.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The writing is sound, with kinda interesting premise, but the execution... The Author crammad like 200k words into 70k. He keeps piling plots after plots on each other and it's gets very confusing, especially without linebreaks between POV changes.

The characters while not two dimensional are inconsistent with their emotions and most importantly for me Harry is a fucking crying faggot with a dominatrix Hermione. I get it's confusing in the new world, but please...

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Not sure I agree, HoS. The pace does move pretty rapidly, but honestly I much prefer that to the alternative. Sometimes it was a bit confusing with multiple plotlines developing at once but from what I remember, every POV switch was at least differentiated by a new chapter.

On Harry being a 'crying faggot' - really? I've seen a lot of crying faggot Harry stories and I wouldn't exactly say the one in this story is much of one. He isn't kicking ass and taking names 24/7 for sure, but he's been pretty proactive and he's not sitting around moaning about how completely miserable his life is or anything. He isn't Hermione's bitch either - a pretty important plot point was that he completely ignored her and ran off to break into Hogwarts and rescue Ron from Order HQ. Yeah, she chewed him out afterwards but what he did was kind of stupid and that's what Hermione does.

The characters are a bit OOC at times, I'll admit. I liked the story over all though, and I'd give it at least a 3.5/5 at the moment, pending on where this Tom Riddle stuff goes.

9. Photon

Photon Order Member

Really interesting, the only major problems are that story is unfinished and standard ff.net bug - spaces eaten by italics. And I would rather say that plot is too simple, certainly it is far away from something complicated. To claim that it is case of "piling plots after plots on each other and it's gets very confusing" is weird. I liked various small things like the new ghost at Hogwarts and this single sentence describing what Voldemort is doing. In general, DE are more effective and scary than in canon - also it is done not via additional gore like in most fanfiction that achieved this. Depending on how it will be finished - maybe it will reach the Library ratings. I see no problematic OOCness.

And to continue my posting of old DLP stories: oneshot by White Rabbit, reply to
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4740582/1/Thank-God-You-re-Here-Hate-Rabbit (DLP thread link: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=253202#post253202 ).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

It IS good and nothing's wrong with the pacing, either.
    Nowadays who is still interested in reading the 100th reiteration of standard happenings?
    It certainly is a good read and a new premise for the dimension-travel-thing - the only question is, whether the author has some ideas on how to continue, whether there will be new concepts or a standard horcurx-hunt/Voldemort-killing.. etc pp

11. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Must have missed it because of my filter rules. Some characters act more like some fanfic cliche but it didn't really irritate me. I'm not really sure where the plot is going but what's there is surprisingly entertaining because of the character interactions.

12. Photon

Photon Order Member

People again complain about personality shift induced by fanon - can somebody can tell who is behaving OOC?

13. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I would assume Zabini and Malfoy?

I'm deeply impressed by this story, of course the real payoff of the encounter between the dimension travelers and the locals has yet to happen.

14. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

The interaction with Hermione and Harry after Harry did his Hogwarts/Ron trip. That felt wrong to me. After DH she would *trust* him to know what he is doing and even if he didn't she would trust him to wring it. That part in the story felt more like trying to capture the fanon outline of characters than the essence of them.

I actually like Malfoy and Zabini in this story. Malfoy might be OC but then he might also be a not so unrealistic projection of how his character might have developed after the events in DH. Both characters add their own unique and helpful element to the story which I really enjoyed reading.

15. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

"Stunning Shifts" was an enjoyable read, with fitting characterizations and no "OCness" I could discover. If this story continues on this level, it will have a chance at the library.

4/5 for now

16. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I've been following 'Stunning Shifts,' and while I've enjoyed it, I wouldn't consider it library worthy. Harry is too much of a whiny bitch, and though I wouldn't say that the characters OoC all that much, the author writes them in a flat manner and I don't actually feel a connection to the characters at all. In fact, Ron is the only one who feel relatively authentic.

All in all 3/5 at the most.

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Red is a much better start to a Twin fic than I've seen in a while, from the author who brought us the insanity of Measure for Measure.

18. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Yeah, it's in the Work by Author forum here. A few more scenes there.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Woah woah woah, Red is written by FrankoftheHeavens? (or whatever his name was before he changed it)

Totally convinced, going to read it now. I still have very good memories of that fic.

20. Photon

Photon Order Member

"insanity of Measure for Measure" - is it worth reading, despite the fact that it is abandoned? It is some great plot ending in cliffhanger or is it rather bunch of related oneshots?

Not open for further replies.