1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Drizzy

Drizzy Second Year

Eh. I was like 16. It's utter nonsense, tbh.

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't sell yourself short. It's hilarious nonsense. Didn't realize that the story in the WbA was by you, the first scene turned me off for some reason (and I remember it being different from the first scene on ffn... Hm). Buls- a story, not a collection of one-shots.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tried reading it, really tried but the 1st person narrative is so wrong that it pisses me of to no end.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

It's first person (I), not second person (you). But it's a moot point, because I honestly can't read either.

6. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Hit The Ground Running
    Author: Tozette
    Summary: The Horcrux in Harry's head wakes up and begins talking to Harry long before he's ever heard the name Voldemort. Philosopher's Stone AU.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Harry P. & Tom R. Jr. - Chapters: 12 - Words: 62,546 - Reviews: 217 - Favs: 361 - Follows: 539 - Updated: 08-20-13 - Published: 06-20-13 - id: 9408516

It's well-written, not too slow-paced and not one of these standard "evil, dark Harry" stories. Nothing too groundbreakingly new (until now) but better executed than any comparable fics I can think of right now.

I haven't posted anything here before so I'm not sure about the system, but comparing it to other ratings I find here, I'd say 4.5/5 until now.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9408516/1/Hit-The-Ground-Running

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might like to include a link.

8. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Thanks, already edited.

9. Rache

Rache Headmaster

While the Harry and Voldemort interaction gets a little boring at times and Voldemort isn't as clever as he should be, the story is pretty good.

However, the author implied heavy slash btwn Harry and Voldemort in the future.

Why does every half good dark Harry story need to be a slash pairing between a 15 year old teenager and a 70 year old Dark Lord?

10. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Because obviously love is the power the Dark Lord knows not.

It's such a shame too. These kinda stories have a pretty sweet premise and they are always ruined by turning into a slashfest.

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure where you got implied slash, the last AN said it was likely to remain gen. Pretty entertaining story so far,
    I like how the author doesn't gloss over the fact that Voldemort is a murderous psychopath and Harry isn't at all comfortable with that.

12. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I PM'ed the author regarding the possible pairing and he replied that it's going to be a homosexual relationship between a 15 year old handsome virgin and a 70 year old ugly and scaly psychopath in the future.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  13. LilC16

LilC16 Second Year

I was pleasantly surprised with Hit The Ground Running. The writing is good, and I didn't notice too many errors. I really want to see this idea done well, and it's doing a reasonable job at it right now.

I do think a little more time before the Hogwarts letter comes would have been a better place to introduce Tom then a day before. It seems a little bit... unreasonable for Harry to accept a voice inside his head in one day, even if it's to move the plot along. A little more development would have been good for the story.

I really liked the interaction between Harry and his housemates. It's seems like a refreshing change, not having them all conform to the stereotypes you usually see in fiction. Voldemort comes to understandings a little later then expected, but a little mystery is good for a character. What I really want to know, is how one of the Weasleys survived a fucking basilisk stare, and another manage to get away. The Basilisk said it was hungry for fucks sake, why didn't it eat a perfectly good and easy target? Someone should have died...

If you do read the story, prepare for light canon rehash every now and then. It's also going at a fairly slow pace, 68,000 words only managing to get to Christmas of 1st year. That seems a little slow to me, depending on how far he is going to take the story. All in all, I think this story has a place in the library, should somebody put it up. 4/5

I haven't really seen any signs of possible slash, but if it develops into it, I don't really give a shit. The author has written slash stories in the past, but nothing involving Harry with a another guy. The Author says this in a AN:

]Thanks for the rec, PrometheusII. I enjoyed it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  14. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I know this story has been brought up in previous threads but I'm posting it as a prerequisite for the much better sequel.

Ice Crux by Hermione
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8664961/1/Ice-Crux

The Boy-Who-Lived didn't exist. Voldemort attained the final victory. As a feared authoritarian figure, he rules the Wizarding World and Hogwarts in the shadows. And when a magically talented Harry Potter arrives at Hogwarts, he attracts the unwanted attention of the Dark Lord. Following a magnificent duel Harry is blackmailed into becoming his second apprentice.
    Follow/FavoriteRated: Fiction T - English - Hurt/Comfort/Adventure - Harry P. & Voldemort - Chapters: 24 - Words: 93,126 - Reviews: 815 - Favs: 622 - Follows: 621 - Updated: 02-23-13 - Published: 11-02-12 - Status: Complete - id: 8664961

"Ice Crux" is wildly AU, very well written, and shockingly original, however, it does start off really slow and it doesn't really pick up till about chapter 12 or so. But the sequel, "Dawn Crux" is even better.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9042430/1/Dawn-Crux

As Voldemort's traitor apprentice, Harry finally escaped his guardian's torture and into freedom. Picked up by Tom Riddle, he discovers the true meaning of being a Horcrux and the consequences of freeing Dumbledore and Grindelwald. Voldemort's established society is brought crumbling down as the two powerful wizards reunite...and even Harry is unable to stop it. Sequel to Ice Crux.
    Follow/FavoriteRated: Fiction T - English - Friendship - Harry P. & Tom R. Jr. - Chapters: 29 - Words: 112,230 - Reviews: 1,048 - Favs: 365 - Follows: 523 - Updated: 08-21-13 -

"Dawn Crux" takes place 6 years after "Ice Crux" and is, IMO, the best story that is regularly updated (about once a week or so). It's library worthy IMO.

Ice Crux - 3.5/5 because it starts slow

Dawn Crux - 5/5

Oh, and as a side note, the author is only 13.

15. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Man... That was some funny shit. Thanks for the link.

Nice stuff, Drizzy.

16. frantic

frantic Boosted

Ice Crux, is to be blunt, a poor man's Prince of the Dark Kingdom.

It features Voldemort mentoring Harry, but it completely drops the ball in that Voldemort and Harry interact sort of similarly to the way they do in canon - bitter antagonists. It doesn't really make for an interesting read.

I read the first chapter of Dawn Crux, and it was something like Harry and Tom Riddle (The Diary Horcrux) hanging out with Grindelwald and Dumbledore, and was overall not very good. I'm really baffled by the high ratings it's been getting, because Prince of A Dark Kingdom is infinitely better written, has better character interactions, and a far more interesting portrayal of Voldemort.

I'd give Ice Crux a 2.5/5, because while it's generally competent, it doesn't really capture my interest. The characters aren't boring, but they aren't interesting, the politics that the author attempts to write don't really feel cunning or sly, just like a little addition that they weren't really thinking about.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I guess I'm the only one around here who thought that Prince of a Dark kingdom was shitty as fuck.

18. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

No thanks.

19. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I didn't even touch it after reading the summary and the thread here but then that's hardly a qualifying judgement:)

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've started it a few times, but could never get into it for whatever reason.

Maybe third time's the charm (it took me three tries to finally get to where Shezza's Denarian Renegade got not-crap and I got drawn in).

Not open for further replies.