1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. plastic.jonbenet.doll

plastic.jonbenet.doll Temporarily Banhammered

Well, I just have to ask then... What is magic? ;)

2. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

A paranormal force that allows for the manipulation of reality. In the Harry Potter series, the mechanics by which it operates are left unexplained.

Though, using magic should still tire one out simply because of the mental component that spells require. There's no need to bring into it the possible effects of spellcasting on the users body, something we know absolutely nothing about.

And on a related note, are we shown any spells which appear to target the caster themselves, rather than something else?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A pervasive world-energy that one can detect and manipulate given a high enough midi-chlorian count.

4. plastic.jonbenet.doll

plastic.jonbenet.doll Temporarily Banhammered

Sonorus. I believe Fudge used this spell to amplify his voice during Quidditch World Cup.

5. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

It is in my understanding that a "carpet" that you use to cover the floor -- something like this -- would be called a rug. It is not fastened. It can be relocated. It is quite large (typically over 3'x3') and meant to cover a large portion of the room. It's also called an area rug, though most call it rug.

A throw rug, on other hand, is a smaller version of rug. It usually measures less than 3'x3', but can be as long as 2'x8'. Typically used as a decorative piece, to piece together different room decorations without jarring. Also called scatter rug. Serves no functional purpose.

Do not confuse this with a mat. A mat is a very small...mat...that is both functional and decorative. An example of this would be the welcome mat, or the kitchen sink mat, or the bathroom/shower mat.

A carpet, on other hand, is a carpet (pun intended) that is actually fastened down. You see this in apartment complexes, bedrooms, etc.

source: I'm persian. Also, my great grandparents used to make rugs for a living.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

A good question.

In my understanding, magic is what the reader should feel while reading the books.

It's impossible to explain.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you think that was a long post then I pity your sexual partners.

8. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Ha see at least Taure understands the idea of how to answer a (stupid) joke. If only everyone had that capability...

9. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Did you read the series?

It has Muggle-Repelling charms.

10. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Okay, I'm going to go balls deep into Taure's post, because reasons. The first two points he made I have no problems with.

Okay, first thing, please don't word things as though you're speaking from an authoritative position. What I mean by this can be exemplified by the line:

You're not stating a fact, you're stating an opinion, an opinion I happen to disagree with. Instead of saying that it should be this way, saying I believe it should would be more accurate in my opinion. It's semantic, I'll grant you, but after living with my father for 25 years it's something that's kinda become ingrained. On that note, everything I'm saying in this post is my opinion unless otherwise stated.

Second, as I just said, I quite disagree with this point. This is probably the physicist in me coming out, but I like the idea of magic being at least quasi-scientific. In my opinion, it should be something Muggle scientists could study and understand if they knew what to look for. Not by real world science, mind you, hence the term quasi-scientific. Indeed, just a few days ago, I came up with a handy and quite scientific way to begin to talk about magic, though it's far from a complete theory. More the beginnings of an idea, really.

The last sentence about wizards not being people with batteries is spot on, though. Same with point 3.5.

To a point, I agree with this. I do believe that there should be an inherent magical "strength" to a person that depends primarily on genetics, although I believe that skill at magic should have, at bare minimum, at least as important as this "strength" when it comes to overall magical prowess. Magical cores, however, are a lazy way to do this. This leads into point 6 (I have no problem with 5).

My response to this is essentially the same as above: while skill should be the overriding factor in a battle, I also like there to be some factor of "strength" involved as well. I can't exactly articulate why I like that, I just do.

I have severe issues with this point. In particular, I see nothing "terrible" about these tropes if they're used well. Wandless magic is fucking awesome if it's used right (i.e. not OMG Uber!Powerful lolwhydoesanyonehaveawand?). I don't see why you find these tropes – wandless magic in particular – to be "terrible." Most of the fics that use them are terrible, I'll grant you, but then most fics in general are terrible.

I'll skip to point 10, because the next two are generally good.

I bring this up because it's quite close to the system used (or will be used, I suppose, considering how little I've written) in my fic. There is an inherent magical "strength" to each person, but it has nothing to do with "how much" magic a person has (which is an absurd concept in my world). There is no depletion of magic, but at the same time there is a factor that doesn't depend on skill that makes some wizards inherently stronger than others. This difference can be overcome by learning magic, but it's still a deeper well that the less powerful wizards have to climb out of to match more powerful opponents.

Despite the long-winded post, I happen to agree that magical cores are a stupid concept. It's a lazy, well used trope that people can plug into their stories and not have to come up with new ideas, and a lack of ideas leads to stagnation in the fandom. That's why I went and created something that I hadn't seen before; to inject something new into the community.

I happen to agree with Luckylee; getting magically exhausted is a concept that features in my own system, and I'd like to think it's incorporated well.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

A wizard can't have magical exhaustion, otherwise it would require them to have a set number of 'magical point' or whatever. However, he can be exhausted like anyone else. He spend the whole night partying with alcohol, had a Quidditch game in the morning and had to attend astronomy class in the evening. Hell, no wonder that guy is exhausted and can't cast a spell. He can't concentrate enough to produce the require effect.

See the difference? Casting magic requires emotion, concentration and willpower, as well as knowledge about the spell you are casting. If you are physically exhausted, you might as well have difficulty casting magic. It's not because you cast too much spells during the day. It's because you can't focus anymore; you are overcome by defeat, fear, depression, etc.

12. mknote

Where did you get that idea?

13. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

A wizard can not have magical exhaustion. A wizard can, however, be exhausted do to excessive magic use - just as a Muggle can become exhausted from jogging or studying for a test or just staying up one too many hours.

See simple, not at all a complex concept.

Alas, this is where so many ff.net-ers go so very wrong.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

If you are going to have magical exhaustion you should also have mana potions.

No seriously If there was something like Magical exhaustion you can bet your bottom dolar that wizards would have found a way around it long ago. Magic is after all their life blood.

15. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Just like I have a set number of movement points that dictate how far I can run before suffering from physical exhaustion, and a set number of mental points that dictate how long I can think about things before suffering from mental exhaustion?

16. mknote

Exactly. Setting aside the fact that whether it's magical exhaustion or exhaustion due to magic is a issue of semantics, this is where I was headed.

Unless, of course, there simply wasn't another way besides, say, resting for a few days.

17. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Eh I could imagine Magical Exhaustion, body builders who lift to much have to rest for days for there muscles to recover.

18. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Yet magic isn't anatomical. A wizard's magic isn't even remotely comparable to a muscle. It cannot be worn or distressed. Magic is merely an inherent part of a wizard.

Now, if you wanted to argue that use of large amounts of magic has a physical cost on a wizard's body, I might consider your point valid.

19. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    If Magic isn't apart of a Wizards body, and they just manipulate it via incantation/intent there should be some sort of cost, mental strain etc. Although that may not be canon it's just my opinion.

20. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

I'm not saying that magic isn't a part of a wizard (It is inherent, not measurable, not physical by any means, but there.) and I've said earlier that a wizard can exhaust themselves by excessive magic use.

However, comparing exhausting one's self by excessive magic use to working out a muscle rubs me the wrong way as it is synonymous to saying that you've got to 'work your magical core' to get stronger.

Not open for further replies.