1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Wait, really? Lily was annoying as fuck, and from what I gathered from the story was meant to appear that way.

People like that sappy shit?

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

"Knowledge is Useful, But Power is Power" by DisobedienceWriter is now complete

This is a bit weird one - it includes multiple things that I see used properly for a first time (oaths, deeper form of magic, family magic) but it seems to be case of multiple oneshots forcibly mended into one story. Still, it was really enjoyable and I plan to reread it in some time. I especially liked original (at least I never encountered something like this) and interesting version of Dumbledore in the first chapter.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8215565/1/Knowledge-is-Useful-But-Power-is-Power

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

Followed it too and at the beginning there was some real suspense. But with the super!Harry gimmick it fizzled out as some dark fairy tale. Interesting, definitely as the story can be interpreted on several levels but while reading I always thought it could be so much more if he kept some power balance. Ultimately it's an intelligent written Gary Stu with sugar coating.

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Is this another of DisobedienceWriter's MO (i.e., take an interesting story concept, execute blandly with lots of passive voice, leaving a feeling of "meh" at the ending)?

5. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

Yes.

/10char

6. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Harry Potter: Overboard Gryffindor
    Author: Rarsh
    Summary: A Harry that fits the description of the stereotypical Gryffindor, convinced he's a Heroic Fantasy novel hero and yet attempts to be cunning; poor Dumbledore doesn't know what hit him. ProfessionalHero!Harry, no bashings, background pairing only
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Humor - Harry P. & Hermione G. - Chapters: 3 - Words: 11,584 - Reviews: 42 - Favs: 55 - Follows: 60 - Updated: 08-02-13 - Published: 07-19-13 - id: 9507475

Funny. Too one-dimensional to be library material, I guess, but certainly worth to be recommended here. Enjoy!

7. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

But where's the link?

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

9. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Oh cool, thanks Iztiak.

10. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Thanks - I'll try to think of it in the future ;)

11. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

It was sort of meh. Even for what it was, it just fell sort of flat.

12. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

It's mildly amusing, but it's more of a summary of a story than an actual story.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Him declaring to be a professional hero in public is too dumb and there is not enough detail in the story to properly enjoy reading it. I'd give it a 2/5 for an original idea and Harry competing with Lockhart.

14. Photon

Photon Order Member

Title: Shadow Walks
    Author: lorien829
    Genre: Angst/Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Summary: In the five years since the Final Battle, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley have struggled to cope with the mysterious disappearance and apparent death of Hermione Granger. There are deeper and darker purposes at work than Harry yet realizes.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6092362/1/Shadow-Walks

Slow start, with first seven (of twenty-two) chapters that are angst (relatively well written one, it is rare case that it was not only readable but interesting). Later something really starts happening and it is action, not romance (ff.net Angst/Romance category is misleading). Rare example of
    dimension travel and multiverse
    in serious story done well - and as part of story, not only to create otherwise impossible premise. I really liked it (I was reading it for the second time), proper characterisation, good writing, interesting plot.

Perspicacity about this story in Almost Recommendable Volume the Third - https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=424002#post424002

15. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I got 4 chapters in and quit. The whole premise of the story seems to be "if I'm powerful I can't be killed AND I can do whatever I want with magic, with no practice."

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The plot gets weirder and more interesting, but unfortunately the writing sucks.

17. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I have a fic that I think is perfectly suited for this thread. It requires quite a bit of explanation, and so the link and description will be put at the end.

To be frank, this fic is not a great one. It isn't even a good one. The writing is not very good (the author is particularly prone to run-on sentences), and it has several things that are most assuredly not DLP fare. For instance, it has soul-bonds (more on this later), a paternal-like Snape (again, more on this later), and as stated the writing is generally not good. And then we arrive at the elephant in the room.

This is a slash fic. For those turning away, hear me out, because I hate slash as much as the next DLP-er. The reason I didn't chuck this fic away like every single other slash fic I've ever come across is twofold.

Number one is the pairing itself. It isn't something abysmally retarded like Malfoy, Snape, or Voldemort. Instead, it's someone who, if Harry were gay, I could see him going for. In particular, Seamus Finnegan. As a side-note (a reason 1.5, if you will), another thing is that fact that this isn't a sudden case of homosexuality – this Harry was raised differently from the time he came to the Dursleys, and has showed no romantic inclinations towards either gender up to the point I've read (3rd year).

Number two is the rating. On ff.net, the fic is rated T. Assuming that the author keeps to this rating (which, granted, isn't always the case), this should mean that they're aren't any explicit scenes. Not having to slog through scenes of buggery is a definite plus.

So, since this was a fic that ostensibly depicted a believable homosexual relationship without the scenes that make me claw my eyes out, I was intrigued. As I read further, I found that this story takes horrible cliches and makes them... tolerable.

For instance, the soul bond. It is the first time I have ever seen a soul bond fic in which said soul bond isn't between the romantic couple, but instead between two very good friends. Another example is Snape. He's quite paternal towards Harry (and Dudley, interestingly enough), but you can still see hints of his canon personality there. Considering that he's been involved with Lily's child since right after her death instead of having ten years to stew over it, it's... somewhat believable.

This is still not a good fic. The cliches are still there, even if they're used in somewhat original ways, and it is a slash fic. Perhaps the biggest detriment to the story, though, is its writing. In the hands of a more talented author... this might have just scraped into the library. As it is, it's perfect for this thread – not a great fic, but it has some interesting ideas. In the story's favor, it is the first slash fic I've ever picked up, and that's no small feat.

18. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Wtf. This is like everything I would not want to see in a fic, and your long description does not help it at all. Why is it in Almost Recommended again and not WTF thread?

19. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Because I sorta kinda recommend it. Not super strongly, mind you, but still.

20. Rym

Rym Auror

No offense man, but I honestly did a double take reading this sentence:

Not open for further replies.