1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Russano

Russano Disappeared

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

Hm. It may be readable, but I will wait for author to complete story.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the author of Letters, The Quidditch World Cup, The Pureblood Princess, and The Dark in Peace comes another quidditch/romance fic. Not having read past ch.3 of TQWC I can't say if this is better or not but it was interesting enough for me to stay up till 1 am to finish it. Pretty slow-paced with a few extraneous, overly-detailed scenes but overall not bad.

4. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

My usual policy is not to read anything with hurt/comfort in the description (which the new search filters are awesome for) but I made an exception in this case because I like some of the Quidditch stuff the author has written in the past. I'm glad I did, because the story has been pretty good so far.

There's not an overt amount of angst going on, which is actually somewhat odd in this case considering the events at the beginning of the story (the "tragic losses" mentioned in the description) but I'm fine with that. Like you said T3t, some of the flashbacks are way too long and largely unrelated to the plot, and there isn't much of a scene transition so it can be confusing.

Overall I'd say 4/5, though I'm biased towards Quidditch fics.

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

My slight quibble with this author, is that every single female he pairs up with Harry becomes a professional dancer.

What is up with that?

6. Rache

Rache Headmaster

A professional dance wife or girlfriend maybe and thinks of himself as Harry Potter.

7. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Or a fetish.

T3t
  8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

He tends to reuse characters, as I keep spotting the same OC names from Letters in different stories.

9. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4922483/1/Visited-by-a-Doctor

This might have already been rec'd in a previous thread but I've been following this for a while. Whilst I'll be the first one to admit that the summary sounds boring its actually surprisingly good. It gets extra points for not having Harry just use the doctors adventures but instead have his own, decently imaginative ones. Its also not Harry/Ginny despite first impressions.

10. methor

methor Fourth Year

You will be the death of me
    The Dursleys abandon Harry to the worst orphanage they can find. Meanwhile Malfoy resurrects Voldemort with the help of the diary. Voldemort finds Harry, discovers that he is a semi-horcrux and tries to figure out how to kill him safely. (Heading towards a Voldemort mentors Harry story).

11. mercuryandglass

mercuryandglass Third Year

You check here.

And it was.

Also

But why should we judge a fic by its summary?

--

After skimming the first chapter, I have decided that it wasn't terrible. Voldemort was believable to me, though Harry's home situation is very much exaggerated. Abuse of capitol letters at one point because the author didn't seem to understand the idea of italics. Terrible representation of accents.

Can't tell you much about the writing, except that I didn't notice anything terribly wrong. Apparently this wont't be slash, dark!Harry, or powerful!Harry.

Not bad if you want to waste time.

12. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So, did a cursory glance and search for this through threads, and library list, but didn't find it, so I'm fairly sure it hasn't been brought up. Anyway:

Basically uses the same premise as Delenda Est, (Read: Send Harry Back and time and meet Bellatrix) but there are differences. First, not as much action. Bellatrix is not the first person Harry meets in the past. Dumbledore actually knows he's from the future.

Harry is also continuing in 6th year, as opposed to being a teacher.

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much when I started to read it, but I was pleasantly surprised. The writing itself could be a little better, and sometimes the characterization is a tad...off to me. It tends to have time-skips, by weeks or months, though there are few chapters that are immediately after the one before.

Anyway, pluses for this fic:
    Harry and Dumbledore interactions; They're a favorite part of this for me.
    Bellatrix is NOT secretly against pureblood propaganda or easily swayed from them.
    As a consequence of the former, the Harry/Bellatrix romance is actually fairly good.
    Harry does not inexplicably become a super-powerful wizard overnight. That is not to say his ability has not grown.

TL;DR, mainly a romance/slice of life kind of fic, than action, though there is some.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The link is to chapter 31. Other than that, I'm going to read this now and judge later.

14. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The scene breaks and skips are pretty annoying. However, the Harry and Bellatrix interaction was well done. This gets a 3/5 from me and a recommendation for Almost Rec thread.

15. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I had it on my follows list but for some reason I stopped reading, gonna go back and reread it. IIRC Almost Rec is where it belongs.

16. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

The interactions between Harry and Dumbledore are well done. This version of AD is hell of a lot more forthcoming with Harry than the original.

Also, Harry's chacterization is pretty good. He's patient, and you can see the influence AD (both of them) has on him.

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I read this story about a month ago in its entirety. Usually I have no tolerance for finishing bad stories, and saying that I actually finished a 200,000 word fic is saying that it's readable. One thing I will say is that the beginning is pretty terrible, but once it get's to around chapter 5 and Harry starts accepting what happened, it's alright.

One of my biggest problems is that the author is trying to explain and connect all these random details together, when he could just be getting on with the story. For example, he explains the origins of self-stirring cauldrons, tries to fix the stupid pottermore Merlin crap (easiest solution is to just ignore it, but he spends a whole chapter on it for no reason), the fidelius charm, and not to mention the author's desire to connect every single person to a name we heard exactly once in canon. It get's a bit obnoxious in that regard, and the whole thing is pretty much a fanservice.

We're 200,000 words into the story without anything really happening, and that's my biggest problem. We're distracted by Bellatrix's choice (though it can be summarized as whether or not she succumbs to peer pressure, so far her only 'crime' shown in the story is being born a Black), and random crap like duelling competitions (why the fuck did the author have him lose to Frank, he speaks maybe ten sentences to the guy since then... you don't need to try and include every single war-era character into your fic), and pointless history lessons about irrelevant stuff I don't care about, holiday events and overly complicated details about spells that don't matter.

So yeah, the fic is a solid 3/5. I would love to say that it had potential to be better, but that's not true. Right from the beginning you knew it was going to be a bit of a fanservice type fic, the type that wasn't going to blow your socks off with awesomeness.

18. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

The story had an interesting beginning with Remus training him but when he gets to the past the timeline doesn't respect canon at all and the plot is completely aimless. How Harry *and* Dumbledore deals with the situation makes no sense to me. You don't just hang around a year at school before you start thinking about the situation and your goals.

19. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I agree with the 3/5. It's nowhere near the most well-written of stories, but I didn't regret reading it and I'm anticipating further updates.

20. Russano

Russano Disappeared

I've always had a soft spot for anecdotes about actual class lessons. They were always my favorite bits of canons - the mundane what we did in class stuff. I feel like everyone usually skips over that completely, rehashes canon completely, or makes up retarded new stuff. But I really liked the stuff in this fic. Not exactly worldbeating stuff, but I enjoyed reading. 4/5.

Not open for further replies.