1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's open source. You can read the code any time you want:

https://code.google.com/p/steamgifts-plus/source/checkout

It's been downloaded from code.google over 200,000 times, and you'd think if there was a problem, someone in that 200k would've complained and Google would've pulled the code. The last thing Google wants is to be hosting malware.

Again, it's open source. Nothing is hidden.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

SG+ is ESSENTIAL for filtering out all the garbage games you don't already own. It cuts down on the amount of time to view the site, and makes everything a dozen times faster.

3. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

I don't understand why this isn't site functionality and instead requires an addon

4. Midknight

5. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

If I had to guess, it'd probably be inertia. Why bother integrating it into the site itself when there's an addon that does the job for you?

6. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

It would be less strain on the site overall. Instead of having everybody load all the pages and then filtering out the listings they don't want to see, it would only load the listings they wanted to see.

and I'm pretty sure the person who wrote SG+ is staff of somesort on the site.

This file alone is over 5,000 lines. I do not have time to audit that for vulns.
    https://code.google.com/p/steamgifts-plus/source/browse/trunk/steamgifts-plus.js

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  7. yak

Then don't use it. :nyan:

8. Midknight

9. yak

There are more than a few very good deals in Amazon's Late Summer Sale. A few have been posted here before, but they're worth repeating. Some of those Origin deals tho... 17 C&C games for nine bucks is almost enough to make a feller blush.

As for Steam games, X-Com Enemy Unknown is already down to $9.99 including two pieces of DLC. It's a highly regarded game so I'm a little surprised to see it so cheap so soon. Bioshock Infinite is down to $19.99 if you were waiting for the post-release drop. And Civ V's Brave New World is finally available half off at $14.99, or in a combo pack with Civ V Gold for $29.99.

DRM: Steam

DRM: Origin

---------- Post automerged at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 ----------

Bioshock Infinite and Civ V Brave New World are cheaper from Newegg.

---------- Post automerged at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

This post is bound to disappear up the arse of my previous two, but here goes.

Zeno Clash is currently free.

1. Go to Alienware Arena's Zeno Clash 2 promo page.
    2. Register for an Alienware Arena account.
    3. If you don't live in North America then LIE during registration. Don't be an honest idiot like me.
    4. Go back to the promo page and click 'Claim Code Now'
    5. The key gives you a free copy of Zeno Clash and a coupon for Zeno Clash 2.

Or you can jump on Steam Gifts and enter for one of the hundreds of copies which are currently being given away. That's how I got mine.

10. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

Found more free stuff: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/company-of-heroes-2-exclusive-multiplayer-commander-giveaway/
    Edit: Must have base game

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  11. yak

Hey, thanks. I didn't know about that key. This COH2 DLC key, Zeno Clash, and Metro 2033, have all been removed from Steamgifts.com because they were flooding the site and people were building up huge amounts of CV from giving away multiple copies of free games.

Anyone want my Company Of Heroes 2 Exclusive Multiplayer Commander DLC key?

Also, congratulations SilverOtter! I had a devil of a time working out who the heck this "Shawn Smith" was that had won my giveaway, but now that I know it's you, you've got a STALKER key heading your way. Check your PMs.

12. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Not really. Those people were dumb, Zeno Clash was already bundled. So unless you already have a massive amount of non bundle cv, you're not getting much out of it.

13. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

It's not a sale item but Peter Molyneux's latest game Godus is going up for early access on steam on the 13th of September for £19.00, I believe.

As it's all online on a single world, I was wondering if anyone on DLP is looking at getting it?

I was a huge fan of Black and White as a kid so I'm going to get stuck in on the 13th if I can.

14. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

The kickstarter of Might No 9 by Keiji Inafune which is certainly not a Mega Man sequel has been out for three days now. It has crossed 1.5 million dollars in funding currently and Win/Mac/Linux ports are confirmed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  15. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Yak, I got a buddy who bought the CoH collection and CoH2 at full price so I'm sure he'd appreciate a dlc code. Mind sending a PM my way?

16. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

That's why they give you the email of the person that won lol

And thanks.

17. yak

Sure, but I still couldn't work out which DLP member it belonged to. I didn't want to be giving away a game to someone who'd managed to trick their way into the DLP Steam group now that we're becoming a valuable group to belong to. Also, I'd discovered Steamrep the day before so perhaps I was slightly more paranoid about scammers on Steam - especially those who create new Steam accounts.

The email was just shawn.steamgifts-at-gmail iirc. When I didn't recognise the winner I thought Shawn must be a lurker/low-poster, but there wasn't anyone on DLP's memberlist who fit the bill either. Your friends list only had two DLP peeps on it, no recogniseable "previously played as" name, so I was really wondering who this Shawn character was.

It wasn't until I remembered our Gamertag Masterlist that I was able to link it to a DLP account [which wasn't created two months ago with zero posts just to become part of Steam-DLP] and realised that everything was legit.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  18. Midknight

19. yak

Anyone can as far as I know. I've invited quite a few myself.

20. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Talking about the steam group, can anyone invite me to the group please? Steam profile.