1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've always pictured it as a hooded cloak. Looked at google images and you'll see. TBH, they are pretty much just a blanket.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've always pictured it as a hooded cloak as well. Thing is though, when Harry is a kid, he can't wear it as an actual cloak because he's too small. So he treats is as more of a blanket.

3. Deplore

Deplore Seventh Year

I ask because the book names it as a cloak, but in book 3, Harry, Hermione and Ron all get under the cloak and from the way the book described it, it sounded like a blanket, not an actual cloak.

4. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

When reading it I recall thinking of it as a blanket, not really sure either way now.

5. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

[​IMG]

See the neck? There is a knot there which you can open and it becomes blanket but otherwise it is a cloak.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Question: Is it reasonable to assume that Dumbledore could speak Japanese?

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure you could have Dumbledore speak Martian and not raise too many eyebrows. Still, you'd need in story justification for it, if only to overcome the kneejerk anime hate.

On the cloak topic; most cloaks were designed as both clothing and bedding, so they work pretty well in either capacity.

8. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

Pretty sure that it was stated in GOF that Dumbledore spoke something like 180 languages, including mermish/mermaid language. It's reasonable to assume he spoke Japanese.

9. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

That's in reference to Barty Crouch Sr., whom Percy attests can speak over 200, including Mermish, Gobbledegook and Troll.

Not to say the Dumbledore falls short in this area, as he also spoke Mermish and according to interviews with JKR can understand Parseltongue, even though he's not a Parselmouth.

10. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

Ah, thanks for the correction.

11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Anime? Nah, I was more thinking about his ICW work and how they all communicate.

12. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Weird question, but depending on whether the prophecy still states that the one to defeat Voldemort is a he, then if Harry were born a girl, would Voldemort even bothered going after the Potters. Not to sound sexist or anything, but if anything the he in the prophecy would mean Neville then. Would that mean it's more likely for Voldemort to go after the Longbottoms first and then go after the Potters just to have no lose ends? Would that mean Neville is the Boy-Who-Lived and femHarry would grow up with her parents?

13. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Snape - and thus Voldemort - only learned the first couple lines of the prophecy. "He" is not used in the first couple lines so as far as Voldemort knew the child could have been either gender. So yes, he'd still go after the Potters if Harry was female.

14. Reece

Reece Second Year

Are horcruxes 'updated' with Voldemorts latest personality, or are they copies of his personality at the time of creation and remain that way?

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We don't even know if Horcruces beyond the Diary have personalities. According to Canon they're just supposed to be anchors.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd assume they aren't updated based on what we saw of the diary. It seemed to be stuck at teenage!Riddle (I have always assumed it got its current information from Ginny).

But now I start to wonder.

I personally assume that the others had personalities but were not able to express them from what we saw. Wearing the Diadem might have manifested it, as it was intended to provide an interface with the brain. The Diary was designed to be written in. The locket manifested when it was opened (if I remember right).

But yeah I dunno.

17. Reece

Reece Second Year

The locket summoned 'shades' when opened, and the Diary fed off of Ginny to give itself form? Maybe their less actual fixed beings and more concepts of what Voldemort was and is stuck into something physical. :sherlock:

18. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It seems Voldemort designed the diary to be a weapon though, with all the mentions of having intended to reopen the Chamber, in addition to the mechanisms of the diary itself, which did indeed seem geared toward that purpose.

The other Horcruxes may have been intended as simpler anchors with some built on defense mechanisms, nowhere near as offensive as the diary.

Other theories have suggested the diary was the most powerful because it was the first. Others have said it might be that Ginny put more of herself into the diary than anyone else put into the others, making it intensely powerful and giving it a greater measure of personal agency, while Ron only gave the locket enough to act like a boggart on crack.

It is weird though, that the defense mechanisms of the horcruxes seem to hinge on taking power from those who find them.

Was the ring that Dumbledore found second only to the diary? Was it purely his own desire to see his sister at play, or did the ring know that/find it out and use it against him?

As to whether they update, I'd say no, since Riddle's diary, even if it was designed to act differently, still seemed to contain Riddle as he would have been when he made it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  19. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

I've been re-reading the books since it's been so long mostly to re-establish myself with canon. I'm currently on book five, which is my favourite. Something has been bugging me for the last couple of books and, reading book five has made it worse. Hagrid describes giants as being as 20 plus feet, describing the 'Gurg' as being 22-23 feet with the weight of a couple of bull elephants. So, here's my question. How in the hell is it possible for half giants to exist?? I just can't see how a male giant could possibly have sex with a human female without literally ripping her in half and a human male having sex with a female giant just sounds completely ridiculous. Not to mention the mental image.

20. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Ever heard of engorgio? ;)

Not open for further replies.