1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DOTA 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by leenK, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Pro tip #2: When you're facing Zeus, carry a smoke.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fuck, that's so smart. Never even thought of that.

3. theronin

theronin Order Member

Bit of a pricey solution, and it wastes a valuable item slot, but I would feel so badass if I ever survived because of it.

4. Iztiak

Spending 100g so that you don't lose your unreliable gold and that Zeus doesn't get more kills and snowball is not that expensive. It's probably more useful early game, when you have more space.

(Plus it's not like smoke doesn't have other uses. Gank with it if you don't end up needing it. If you're support you should be buying it even if there's no zeus lol)

5. theronin

theronin Order Member

6. funflash

funflash First Year

Diretide is back! Anyone got a good time yet?

7. Nae

Nae The Violent

So um...just got this game a couple weeks ago. Played a couple times. I suck. Even when I'm playing bots. :(

Tips and tricks? Heroes you'd recommend? I seem to always be slow when it comes to attacking a hero. By the time I've clicked on an ability and attacked, my hero is dead.

Steam: NaeblisEcho if anyone's willing to play with me. :3

8. Iztiak

Well, convenient that they just added a coaching system. Sure, I'll add you, accept the invite when you see it.

Nae
  9. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Tip No. 1 : If you're comfortable using the Keyboard simultaneously with mouse ( Some people are not, like me :p), learn the Hotkeys for the 4 abilities and possibly item abilities. Shortens your reaction time by more than half. I assume you're just using the mouse from your statement. Ignore this tip if I'm wrong lol. Rest of it is getting used to the game. have you played MOBA styled games before?

Tip No. 2 : There are several basic distinctions in DotA. Range and Melee (Yes this does make a difference till you're actually used to the gameplay). Int, Str and Agi based. Then there are the various roles like Tank or Assassin or Mage etc etc.

Find something you're absolutely comfortable with. Stick to that for quite a while till you have certain practices imbedded in your hands, like When to kill Minions ( Not sure about Last Hitting), till you're familiar with the Jungle and the paths in the Jungle, when to shop, etc, etc.

Tip 3: Then start looking up various guides/strategies of the Heroes you like...

Tip 4: By now, you're better at this game than me. :p

Nae
  10. Nae

Nae The Violent

Thanks!

Yeah, I guess most of it comes down to experience and reaction time. Maybe I'm judging myself too quickly. No, haven't played this style of game before. Tried LoL once, but it gave up because retarded players in the team. D:

11. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

You might have to get used to that in Dota too.

12. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Yeah... you're gonna have that in DotA as well.

Also, leavers in DotA are more numerous than in LoL, if I remember correctly. I'm personally an old school DotA player/fan. That is to say I still occasionally play it on the old WC3 Engine.

When I tried the Steam one out, I had very high expectations. Probably too high, cause I felt immensely disappointed in this one. I might try my hand at this once again.

...I just have to get Steam working on my computer again lol.

...Also, there seem to be 3-4 more MOBA Games on Steam right now... Huh. gonna check them out.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  13. theronin

theronin Order Member

I haven't played dota in ages. One of these days I'll get back into it. To echo what someone said above, you should not be clicking spells with your mouse. Learn to use the keyboard. It doesn't take that much effort and it makes a world of difference. As far as general advice, pick something you like and play it a lot until you figure it out. Heroes like windrunner and queen of pain are good to start out with.

There are dozens of subtle mechanics and interactions to learn, but most of them are minor effects on gameplay, so it's best to focus on the very basics until you get the hang of it.

14. funflash

funflash First Year

Nae
  15. theronin

theronin Order Member

I actually would love to try out the new coaching interface, so if any newer players want to I'd be willing to offer some tips. I'm not a pro or anything, but I more or less know what I am doing.

16. Nae

Nae The Violent

I tried the coaching thing with SmileOfTheKill yesterday. It was pretty cool. From my perspective, I could see highlights when he would click on screen, and he walked me through a match, advising stuff. Not sure if he could take control as well though.

17. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Not allowed to take control. That would be too easy to abuse.

18. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

So I finally updated about 3 GBs lol.

I can get into the game... but when I access the Store or 2-3 other options, I get this #Cef-error-6 message.
    Not sure what it is...

Also, tried out Solstice Arena... Lol its 3 v3 ARAM without minions. But pretty fun for a 10 minute MOBA game.

Downloading Smashmuck Champions now.

19. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

My steam handle is iTr011 - let me know if you're looking for a game. Do we have enough people on DLP for a 5v5?

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I generally play a game or three per night, unless I or the mate I play with is working. I'm keen for DLP 5v5.