1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The only thing we know from canon is that if you have a Horcrux, you won't die.

I imagine that this means that if your body dies of old age, you'll automatically turn into something like the wraith Voldemort was before his body was restored.

Presumably, if Voldemort got the Stone, he would have used it to retain the power of youth forever.

2. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

No one cared who I was until I decided to live in the Forbidden Forest.

3. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

When you see the stars align, then you have my permission to die.

4. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The only thing that comes to mind is the chapter where Tom Riddle visits Hepzibah Smith. I believe he had one or two Horcruxes at the time (Diary + Ring) and if you believe Harry's thoughts he looked more handsome than ever. I can't make another observation save for the red in Tom's eyes that makes a little appearance.

5. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Blasphemy, Fleur X Mirror of Erised is the OTP. She, of course, would see herself having sex with another version of herself. Naturally, this would segue to an extra scene at Shell Cottage where Harry questions why there's so much polyjuice potion sitting around and she smiles and offers to show him.

As for horcruxes, I always imagined they stopped you aging. No canon behind it, but I've always liked the idea that splitting your soul takes away many of the things that make you human such as dreaming, the need to eat, and plenty of normal emotions. A one shot I actually planned but never started would have followed Voldemort as he rose to power and showed the process of making horcruxes. It would have involved his digestive system and some other internal organs liquifying and being expelled from his body. It was a pretty disgusting scene as I imagined it which is one of the reasons I never wrote it.

Edit: After this discussion, I've decided that the Goblet of Fire in that one-shot I just wrote was actually Grindelwald's Horcrux, enchanting wizards and eating their souls to rise again.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

That sounds incredibly sexy CBH.

Oh, and that Fleur thing is nice too, I guess.

7. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

If you were in Harry's place would you have made the same choices he did?

If Harry/Fleur had happened in GOF, would Harry and Ron's friendship be over?

8. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Is the "Golden Trio" fandom or canon? I honestly can't remember.

9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Fanon. Never used in the books.

But J.K. once used it herself in an interview around the release of DH, if I recall correctly. So there's that.

10. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

No, and I think the point of the books was that trying harder would have ended in corruption and defeat . . . shitty message but there you have it.

Yes.

11. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

No, and probably. I mean it's kind of difficult to imagine what the whole Dursley upbringing would have done to my outlook on life (which is kind of the point, I guess? My childhood sucked but not to that extent). But Harry being polite, well-behaved and precocious rather than an emotionally isolated, socially-oblivious, overly-defensive asshole is acknowledged as extremely unusual so that's not a productive line of questioning I don't think.

As for Harry/Fleur I think Ron is enough of an immature tit at this point for something like that to be a big deal. A permanent severing of Ron and Harry's friendship is easy enough to conceptualize, the interesting part is speculating on the awkwardness that would ensue between Harry and the other Weasleys. Good writers can use this to their advantage.

12. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

People tend to overstate Ron's jealousy issues a bit. He had one major dick moment at the beginning of GoF and another Horcrux inspired move in DH which he almost immediately regretted. In my opinion he probably would have kept his cool if Harry and Fleur got together after Harry forgave him, as the last time he let his jealousy get the better of him would still be fresh in his mind. There might be some lingering resentment but the third task would definitely remind him that sometimes it's pretty shitty to be Harry Potter.

After that Ron starts to become more interested in Hermione and Fleur wouldn't really be around, so I think it would be smooth sailing mostly.

13. afrojack

That's kind of the point though . . . Ron is only interested in Hermione when Fleur is not around.

14. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not much canon evidence to support that, esp given the Yule Ball.

15. afrojack

Which he asked Fleur to long before he ever even thought to notice Hermione? Or in HBP when he's still basically drooling over himself while both Fleur and Hermione are in the room? Or after the second task and the Yule Ball, when Ron is still mega-thrilled to receive that kiss on the cheek?

EDIT: Oh . . .

Sorry, thought you were denying the point entirely.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Ron wasn't so much interested in Fleur as she was hot. And if you're developing feelings for a girl you're really good friends with (which seems to be implied even if it takes him a while to get it) you're going to have more trouble asking her out than some hot chick you never talk to anyways.

You'll also fuck yourself over like Ron did by trying to way way downplay it, then again maybe he was just not really considering Hermione like that until the moment he asked her and only became interested after the initial epiphany.

Both of those seem pretty realistic to me based on how my childhood/teen years went.

17. afrojack

I don't know, I feel like Harry getting the real girl of his dreams would firmly cement his "Harry always gets everything" mentality. Just think about how much the thought of Harry getting Hermione broke him, and then apply that to someone he idealizes/fantasizes about even more.

Well, any time she was present, he was certainly more 'interested' in her than Hermione.

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah... from a physical attraction/mindwhammy perspective. That's not all there is to romantic interest.

19. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

I don't think there would be any issues at all if Harry pulled Fleur. I mean, in canon, Fleur wound up with Bill. Bill the eldest Weasley son. Bill, the cool curse-breaker with his fang earring and long hair. Bill, the former Hogwarts Head Boy and Prefect. Honestly, Ron's had a lot longer to feel inferior to Bill than Harry, and considering the age difference, he's probably a lot closer to Harry than Bill.

So, when Fleur and Bill got together and Ron did not in fact go insane with jealous, turn into a major prat, or join the Death Eaters (sadly, it is actually necessary to address this specific situation in the fandom), then it follows that Ron would probably be equally or more accepting of the H/F relationship.

20. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

Yeah, but Bill was family and had grown up as a Weasley, right alongside Ron. Harry getting the girl is the Boy-Who-Lived winning again; Bill getting the girl is a Weasley finally winning something. Every time Ron saw Bill with Fleur he probably envisioned himself plowing her while wearing his Head-boy pin.

Not open for further replies.