1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not nearly as dumb as it sounds - it's a pretty good friendship fic that manages to skip the canon rehash pretty much entirely.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Best thing about that fic is the horrible fanart that shows a transvestite Ron as the story image.

3. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I clicked on the link just to see the picture :D

4. Rache

Rache Headmaster

If she is like her male counterpart, spitting food 10 metres around wouldnt appeal to even canon Harry.

Ronnie/ Hermione femslash is something I would surely read.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  5. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

We need a shrink here, people! C'mon!

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Then add the fact that you're basically taught to think of another house as a mortal enemy, so that the only thing you really care about is making sure your back isn't to them for any length of time.

Even in a group of 30, it can get pretty insular.

7. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

This story is okay. I don't really have any complaints about it other than Snape's characterization (Snape acting like a petulant five-year-old is almost as tiresome as him secretly being a nice person), but there's also nothing remarkable about it.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This fic is pretty unpolished, but I think the author shows promise and it's good enough to kill some time. I admit I skimmed through a lot of it and the pace is pretty damn slow, but I'm such a sucker for smart!Harry that it was entertaining despite its various faults. There are some very nice touches, like the way Harry manipulates Hermione.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9685174/1/Two-Sides

Voldemort and Harry Potter had similar childhoods. Voldemort and Harry are polar opposites. What if they're not? What if the same circumstances that turned Voldemort down the path of evil occur in Harry's life? The story is set in a world where Harry realizes his true potential as the son of the brightest witch of her age and a wizard epitomizing the best of purebloods. With a twist.

Chapters: 12 - Words: 37,646

9. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2047255/1/Strangers-Wth-Familiar-Faces

Decent enough fic without a lot of cliches. Starts with an unfortunate misspelling in the title, but it doesn't foretell the quality of writing like many title/summary errors would.

Ron/Fleur. Picks up a few years after the Seventh book, AU. Ron's working at the Daily Prophet and stops to get a cup of coffee when he runs into Fleur. She helps him deal with restoring a broken relationship with Harry/Hermione, and along the way, they start to care for one another.

Not heavily angsty, and good characterization of Ron as an adult with just a hint of the younger squirreliness still remaining. Except for a discussion about a few pranks and a few references to Fleur's allure (mystique in this story), not a whole lot of cliches are to be had here.

Story is slow for the first chapter or so, but if you have an hour to kill, it's a decent enough read.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

11. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    What are you talking about, it is linked to the first chapter.

(Just ignore the edit information in the previous post :sherlock:)

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

You just described the only reason I click on 99% of the stories I see on FFN.

Authors, if the first chapter of your story got a hit from me, then silence, it was because I wanted to see the zoomed version of your 'cover image,' not because I thought your tripe sounded the least bit interesting.

(I guess you could say it's one of my peeves that I can't see the full-size version of those pics without giving a hit to an undeserving story.)

13. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

They enlarge just by hovering over the image though.....

unless you have a huge monitor that's usually enough, no need to give them a hit.

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Ah, but not all the way.

On the page, they appear as 50x74, they zoom to 75x112 on mouseover, and are 180x269 if you click on them from within the story.

Which probably doesn't matter to most people.
    Then again, I'm OC enough that I've got a list of stuff that shouldn't matter to most people, but does, to me. ;)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    From the last three chapters, it seems that Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournament has taken a permanent turn into shit central, rather than a brief detour. Disappointing. And somewhat surprising. It's strange that a story would veer so massively off course in its fourth volume, with no sign in the earlier installments that all the careful characterisation and subtle, slowly progressing plot would be abandoned in favour of melodrama, grandstanding and a Harry who is suddenly acting like a kind of caricature of canon Harry.

Maybe the author's proclivities were masked in the earlier volumes by sticking to canon, and now that the author is heading off in their own direction, it's clear that the type of fic they like is very different from the style of the earlier fics.

16. Nazadel

Nazadel Squib

I cringed at the bad paraphrase of the Dunwich Horror, just to add more melodrama. It really hit a low point now. It's not hilariously bad either (like Harry Darcy Crow), so I'm probably going to stop following this.

17. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I take back the rec. I originally put here, it went down hill after the first 3 chapters.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  18. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

Strangers Wth Familiar Faces,

I hardly read outside of Harry Centric stories but that sounded intriguing so I clicked it. Agreed, its worth the read but not much else. One of the very first sentences is so wordy that you have to backtrack and reread to make sure it wasn't a run on and that sets the tone for the entire story.

Awkward phrasing. The plot's interesting but I have thus far found the way each sentence is worded to be... inconvenient.

For example:

"When Ron got to the newspaper office, it was in the same state of chaos as any other day."

Just clunky and unnecessarily wordy.

I also don't feel like Ron should ever know what a 'poser' is. Oh well.

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Derp being stupid.

20. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

To Ride Upon Svadilfari
    by Evil is a Relative Term
    Harry Potter/Avengers (Movies) (Leans heavily to Thor)
    Words: 34,990

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9905105/1/To-Ride-Upon-Svadilfari

Fic kept popping up in my author alert and around about chapter 5 I caved and gave it a shot. Pleasantly surprised. Its an Avengers cross and not in the same league as Wand and Shield. Quite good regardless.

Harry and Hermione are older and both tend to hunt dark wizards for funzies in their old age (likely mid 20s). While hunting down clearly the best Wizarding artifact collector/dark wizard/thief of their time, they get sent to another universe.

Predictably, they hope the Tesseract can get them home, and become secretaries aboard SHIELD's Helecarrier.

Minus: Both H & H's power levels are clearly over 9000. The plot also moves at a breakneck pace which is sometimes jarring. Loki Centric, so yeah there's that.

Plus: Daily Update rate and each chapter is a respectable 3 to 4k words. Hardly any character bashing. Avengers characters are well done. Oh and Dragon!Harry.

Eh, I enjoyed.

Not open for further replies.