1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. realmess

realmess Slug Club Member

hey,
    did anyone mentioned Harry killing Voldemort with Avada Kedavra, but powered by 'love'?
    I think in most fictions that changes the light from green to white.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

My god...

I hope I never see one of those stories.

3. realmess

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    o.k. I won't be sending you the links then :D
    it's good 'cause I think I didn't save them 8)
    It's still better than the mental image I get when I hear that Harry'll defeat Voldemort
    with "the power of love" :wall:

4. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

generally when you love someone you try NOT to kill them...at least thats what i was lead to believe....

5. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

It's his gay love for young Tom Riddle that he slays the old, unattractive beat that is Voldemort.

6. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Then again there are those people that are like 'I love you so much i'll kill you so no-one else can have you' but then again those people are freaks :shock: . . . please let one of them fall in love with ginny :GDie1

7. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

Harry will kill him using the secret power that is hidden that is buried deep down in the department of mysteries that everyone else is scared to use, and is incapable of handling. :whew, that's a lot of bullshit:

THAT IS GOING TO SUCK

Another cliche I don't like is Harry being able to beat up EVERYBODY yet taking shit from the Weasleys, his friends, etc. I know its been said before, but MY GOD!! Even worse is when he takes shit from the Durselys. EVEN CANON Harry lied and told them his Godfather was a killer.

Also, when Harry gets RESORTED!!! This happens AFTER his 5 year FYI. I have seen this a few times, and it never fails to piss me off.

8. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Random resorting is pathetic.
    Harry gets raped and finds out that he is gay.

9. realmess

yo,

that's not even funny, that's scary!!!!!

10. SlytherinDamian

I agree on the resorting. that's hella lame. Raping Harry is cool though...

:shock:

11. realmess

I was more thinking about the part when he realizes after the rape that he's gay

12. SlytherinDamian

lol, i was joking, but yea, suddenly deciding you're gay because your uncle made you suck him off or bend over... doesn't happen. If anything its usually the opposite. Not that I would know... -_-x

That's just an excuse psychologists and teenage female ff writers use to explain things the way they want things to be. Because they like to think they understand something. Stupid psychologists... the girls get a pass though. If theyre hawt.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

On that note.. what the HELL do teenage girls who write that shit find sexy about two guys banging each other up the poop chute... I'm all for freedom to live how you want to live.. but... that shit is so far on the other side of hot it's frigid. (Also, why is it that ff.net doesn't mind pedophile slash ships being graphic as hell, but hetero normal ships get yanked?)

Two girls I get, the female body is attractive and shapely, but there is nothing beautiful about a mans hairy ass making love to another man, sorry female FF writers

And I do agree, being raped would NOT make him gay. It'd make him vindictive and scared toward sex maybe, and probably turn him into a manslut to prove his sexuality to himself, but he wouldn't turn Queer eye for Hogwarts.

14. SlytherinDamian

I think it's two-fold, very simple things: 1) girls do think guys are sexy, and 2) outside of described facial hair and a tamed, clean pubic area, their fantasy guys are completely waxed. Hairless. Pay attention, there's lots of mentions of 'firm, hairless chests' even in het by young female writers. I think it kinda makes sense, girls are becoming more like guys in what they like. They want their guys relatively hairless, and their number one fantasy involves two guys commiting ass-piracy if ff.net is anything to go on. Just like most guys like virtually hairless women, and two chicks dyking it out.

Me personally, I'm not keen on either, and I think anal sex is always disgusting. I can no more understand why a guy would want to sex a girls ass than a guys ass, even if the shape is, naturally, probably more appealing to him.

15. Midknight

girls also spend 3 hours getting ready for a 2 hour date, heh, I guess were aren't meant to understand.

Also, I'd rather not pay attention to any mention of firm, hairless chests, I'll gleefully jump right over the homoerotic mentionings :twisted: Then again I also tend to jump over the poor descriptives in fics that contain sex. I've no want to read a 13 year old virgin's take on what a woman's body looks like, heh

Anyhow, *shrug* I still don't understand it, theres no way in hell that's "clean" fun, and I agree it's disgusting.

16. Midknight

-New one

Oneshots.

What the hell is with this crap? Are the authors of the ff.net community so riddled with goddamned A.D.D they can't write a few chapters anymore, so the search results get riddled with freaking 1K word (if you're lucky) one shots??????

I've seen at least four or five recently that could of been made into good stories, but instead they are abandonded and the author usually doesn't have anything else going on.

17. SlytherinDamian

I have a few in my fav's, but I agree, it's usually laziness. I've had a few ideas for one-shots myself, but I'm so lazy (or ADD affected) that I havent even finished one. lol I would say song fics usually bug me more. They're one shots wherein half the story is filler lyrics, holding the readers hands along the progression through the parallels (I'm not spell checking this post). But then again, I do have a songfic in my favorites too... hmm... so anyways, one-shots bug me when they suck, or should be longer (see: every Harry/Bella one shot I've read where it wasn't satisfying as a one shot).

The thing is though, if you are being honest about their laziness, do you want them to stretch out a plotless mess across more chapters and waste more of your time? Just spam the writer with 'sequel!' reviews if uou liked it, and maybe you'll get more.

18. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Abandoning fics without ever mentioning it in the summary.

19. realmess

yay- agreed- nothing disappoints me more than that! You read it, review it, put it on your alert list, and... silence
    then, like 2 months later, when you stumble on the same fiction again, and actually read the author's bio- there's sometimes a little note- 'sorry guys, blah, blah, blah, I'm putting it on hiatus/ abandoning it blah, blah, blah'
    totally disappointing

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

One Shots are okay if they are more than like 10k. Like that Harry Potter/Hellraiser crossover that was 40k.

Not open for further replies.