1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Voldemort always tries to convince Harry of his cause, which more often than not leads to him trying to rationalize his actions towards Muggles.

2. esran

esran Professor

I meant the particular way this story did it was clever.

3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is a pretty good one. No idea what's going on, but the fact that it promises to make more sense on a second read through makes it a little more bearable. 'Course it's almost entirely crack, so my expectations going forward are low. I'll keep an eye on it though. A few more chapters in this vein and it could make the library.

4. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

Each chapter is a self contained loop. Read each chapter twice to make sense of the shifts.

5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's interesting so far, even it does remind of something very familiar to me.

6. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

The Snow Queen - Rose Potter disappeared at the age of six. In Hermione Granger's sixth year, the Goblet of Fire summons a girl trained to be the champion of a very different kind of game. They wanted a saviour. They got the Snow Queen.

A surprisingly interesting Harry Potter/Hunger Games crossover that is both dark and delightful at parts, yet disturbing and horrifying in others. It''s fun to read at first, but truth be told, the moment we leave the Hunger Games universe, it goes to shit. The femHarry and Hermione parts are good, but everything else it(Dumbledore mostly) is terrible. I still think it's a good guilty pleasure fic though.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. KGB

KGB Headmaster

While it's a decent xover. How accurately does this portray the Hunger Games universe? I have never read the books, or seen the movies, but this seems off. Or are all the rich people this insane in the books as well?

Edit: Finished reading it. I take back the decent bit. It got real stupid real fast.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  8. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

This one has been on my favorite stories list for... let's see... Huh. Five days before I joined DLP. So nearly 5 years ago.

I like this story. A lot. It has its downsides (using ' instead of "), but overall I think it's a decent (though not incredible) story. I like Malfoy in particular, who in this story isn't a (complete) shitbag. He's actually has a lot of pretty funny lines, especially in chapter 40. Chapter 40 is my favorite.

I missed out on the fact that the last chapter had been posted until Averis put it up in this thread, so kudos to him. Though in all actuality, I really don't like the last chapter. Alas.

Still, I'd recommend it with a 3.5/5, and it might get into the Library if DLP was feeling generous that day.

9. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

This is the kind of quote that makes me very leery of diving into a 500k word drama.

10. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

Everything involving Dumbledore is terrible, but most of the story is entertaining despite being stupid.

I think I'd rather read a story centered on Hermione's subplot. A story about a Hogwarts that's unquestionably the safest place in the world to learn magic, yet still only has a 50% survival rate and where the children are routinely obliviated of their memories of the dead friends because it's simply the only option (and what sort of society would emerge from all this) could make a nice horror story.

11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hesitate... strongly, to say the least, to recommend a Maurader-era story featuring an OC.

On the plus side, it's fairly long, has an actual plot (eventually), isn't canon-compliant, and the protagonist isn't a Mary Sue.

13. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I was able to get to Chapter 2 before my eyes started bleeding. Harry's smug little punishment of "stupid old Dumbles" made me press X.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  14. Photon

Photon Order Member

Argh. Now I cannot decide whatever I want to read this. Have somebody else tried?

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. It's god-awful.

16. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

It's by no means good, but it's "fun" if nothing else.

It could be better if, well, no, it couldn't. But there's no clear idea of where the story wants to go. Which is a shame, because the forest is actually semi-interesting. Or at least, would be if written by someone... sane?

I dunno it's a bad story. Some ideas are good under the mire, and it's kinda fun, but still a solid 2/5. A decent 2/5, but still a 2/5. Maaaybe a 2.5 but that'd be pushing it a bit.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only good idea about it is the part that many other people have thought about: Hunger Games + HP = a formula for awesome. (And, given the current popularity of the movies, a formula for huge quantities of reviews...)

The main character is basically an evil Mary Sue and the world, other characters and events of the "story" exist the sole purpose of allowing her to show off.

18. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Oh, no, I agree. The good idea I was talking about was the forest, and the abovementioned hogwarts with a sky-high casualty rate. If done well that'd actually be pretty interesting. It's not done well.

19. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

While I don't disagree that she is a bit of a Mary Sue, her insanity is actually quite entertaining to read. I find her fun to read surprisingly, although that might be because I'm oddly reminded of the Joker when I read her. I love reading about crazy people I guess, it's why I so love Bellatrix.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

EDIT: I'm an idiot, wrong thread.

Not open for further replies.