1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Careful, I sense a lot of the "One True Pairing" rants coming...

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    One True Pairing. In it we trust.

One True Pairing. Make it so.

One True Pairing. So mote it be!

One True Pairing.

3. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6635363/1/When-In-Doubt-Bolivians

When In Doubt, Obliviate
    By: Sarah1281

When a chance meeting reveals Harry's planned fate to Lockhart, he knows what he has to do: rescue him and raise him as his own to properly manage his celebrity status. Harry gets a magical upbringing, Lockhart gets the Boy-Who-Lived...everybody wins!

Rated: Fiction K+ - English - Humor/Friendship - Harry P., Gilderoy L. - Chapters: 38 - Words: 114,644 - Reviews: 2,201 - Favs: 1,813 - Follows: 1,513 - Updated: Aug 22, 2012 - Published: Jan 8, 2011 - Status: Complete - id: 6635363

I saw this story while browsing and read up to chapter 13 before I lost interest. Wasn't my cup of tea but maybe someone else will like it.

Decent writing but nothing much original that stands out.

4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure it's already in the recycling bin.

Also: Nobody expects the Bolivian inquisition!

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

It is in the recbin. Here is the thread.

It's good for a couple of chuckles, but would have worked better as a one shot

6. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Phantasy
    By: Tsume Yuki
    Tom Riddle was fully expecting to stay in hell forever. But the brat-who-lived and friend has, of course, come along with an offer too tempting to refuse. Albus Dumbledore was fully expecting Harry Potter's name down for the next year at Hogwarts. He just wasn't expecting two Dark-Lords to be enrolling as well. Time-travel -sort of- and FemHarry
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Harry P., Tom R. Jr., Gellert G. - Chapters: 5 - Words: 22,346 - Reviews: 152 - Favs: 225 - Follows: 314 - Updated: Jan 7 - Published: Dec 6, 2013 - id: 9904603

Try it out! At just over 20k words, it's still impossible to tell where it will go - great fun or well, not...
    But the writing is actually good so - try it out!
    A few more chapters in we'll know more - library material or trash, both seem possible right now.

7. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I am really hesitant to try this. I will wait for someone else.

If it was Fem!Riddle, I would have opened it in a second.

PS: That was hint, T3t and Syao.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's the "sort of" in "sort of fem!Harry"?

9. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

You read it wrong.

"Time-travel -sort of- and FemHarry"

10. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Harry is Master of Death, and keeps getting sent back in time to stop the Yellowstone volcano from erupting (backstory and explanation behind this? Nope, better luck next time). On attempt 12 or 13, he brings Voldemort and Grindelwald along, pretty much just for shits and giggles. He is turned into a girl by Death, also for shits and giggles. That's not my assessment of the reason, that literally is the stated reason.

Up to chapter 4, nothing of note actually happens. And the reasons for repeated lives, gender changes, dark lords, etc are never mentioned after the initial set up.

It's rather shit.

Edit: Also, Grindelwald is an amazing guitarist. Because that was everyone's priority in late 19th century Germany.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  11. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Weasley Girl

We all know the stories that ask "What if Harry Potter was a girl," right? But what if Ron Weasley was a girl? Imagine that the first person Harry befriends on the Hogwarts Express is not Ronald Weasley, but Veronica "Ronnie" Weasley, first born daughter of the Weasley clan for generations... what might happen then? STORY COMPLETE, SEQUEL POSTED

15 Chapters, 107,150 words

Weasley Girl: Secrets of the Past

2 Chapters, 14,750 words

This author writes in a style not unlike Rowling herself, and while it's a rehash fic of sorts, I've never seen this particular divergence done so well. I can't give it a very good review as I've only read the first few chapters, but it's sufficiently well-written enough for Almost Rec (and possibly the library if it continues well).

Essentially, Ron's character has been reinvented as a girl. Rather than being a Mary Sue, Veronica (Ronnie and Ron for short) feels a lot like canon Ron, and is described as a bit gangly and freckle-faced. She has many of the same character traits (for example, embarrassed by her older brothers, who pick on her good-naturedly about getting into Gryffindor). It's interesting enough not to immediately get boring, as a lot of these stories tend to do.

I'll give a more detailed review once I've read more. Check it out.

12. BadManners

BadManners DA Member DLP Supporter

The author seems to be under the impression that a female Ron would suddenly gain a huge amount of social graces and empathy because of her new ovaries, but I'm not exactly convinced.

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What, you really want to read about a canon Ron, just female?

If she's the focus of the story, then the canon characterisation is a bit out of place imo.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm struggling to see what female Ron can do in a fic that Ginny couldn't.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wasn't this linked a page or two ago? This is the story with the transvestite Ron as the cover image, yeah?

16. BadManners

BadManners DA Member DLP Supporter

No, I wouldn't.
    I'd prefer to read about a female Ron that retains the good and bad aspects of her previous iteration but with well thought out femininity to spin her previous character in a different direction.

Yeah but this time we've got the sequel.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  17. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

You must be truly desperate even looking at that story after the summary.

18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's actually library-quality writing.

19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The writing is average and it's boring. We get McGonagall that feels like a cross between Dumbledore an M from Bond movies. We don't get any explenantion how the two completly different magical and political systems works.

Harrys stay in Chicago under Dresdens care is glazed over, it doesn't add anything new. And then we get back to Hogwarts and the suspension of disbelief is shatered pretty hard. Somehow, Voldemort did not lunch a successful campaing to take over the Ministry, Scrimgour is still in the power, Snape is the Headmaster, Malfoy is Headboy. What. The. Hell? Weren't they branded as murderers, Death Eaters and wanted after the end of book six?

After that revelation I stopped reading, because it was pointless. The suspension was shatered. Oh, and I call it cheap drama to sort Molly into Slytherin, so there can be a conflict between her, Harry and other Gryffindors.

The idea was interesting, the execution is subpar, but still, you can read it as a guilty pleasure.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. Photon

Photon Order Member

And that is why I am thankful for recommendation from T3t as otherwise I would discard this really well done story.

Not open for further replies.