1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Golgar

Golgar Second Year DLP Supporter

Last Second Savior could have been readable if it had left out the demon things, the Jedi affair and, the worst by far, declaring Yoda the next manipulative Dumbledore. I could have tolerated the rest, but that was the last straw.

The idea about a last second partial save from Order 66 was interesting, and the resulting chaos in the galaxy could have made a good story.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last Second Savior is a smut fic without smut. It's just a load of UST between Harry and a bald blue woman with tentacles, with a stunning quantity of filler to make people think it might have a plot.

3. BadManners

BadManners DA Member DLP Supporter

How anyone could read Plums' stories and not be immediately embarrassed by the virginal, animesque colloquialisms like the staple blush and stutter is beyond me.
    Not to mention the atrocious attempt at melding magic and the force into one metaphysical entity, the use of magical cores, and the abundance of indy Harry cliches that this author still recycles over ten years after the release of OotP.

4. meev

meev Groundskeeper

So wait, The Force and magic were combined, and there are magical cores? How does that even work? Isn't the whole point of The Force that it's something that encompasses everything and the Jedi and Sith manipulate it? It's the exact opposite of a magical core.

5. Panther

Panther Third Year

It doesn't need to make sense, it's just a handwave that allows Harry to take the role of the wise Master Wizard teaching hot Jedi babes how properly wield the Force while freeing them from the evil manipulation of the stupid green gnome. It's not really a fic that you can read while thinking.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. meev

meev Groundskeeper

But like, why not just make magic work like the force then? As an external manipulable energy field that operates by it's own rules?

I don't even

7. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

But then he can't have the magical core cliche, duh.

8. Hello

Hello Professor

Fun waste of time, but she wrote 60k words in 3 years. I worry because her other stories suffer from starting very well, mildly original ideas, and decent characterization before she loses interest and stops writing.

9. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Well where else do you expect the midichlorians to live?

10. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

In ones bloodstream.

11. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Well if magic is somehow genetic, even if its magically so, it means that one's "magic" is already contained in every single cell of one's body, including the blood. And that's just in HP canon.

12. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

I know it is sometimes difficult to detect sarcasm on the internet, but really?

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

To be fair, it is based on Sword & Magic by Bluminous8, which also starts with Harry and company fighting at least one demon.

I don't recall if it was just the one, or a few, or what, but it was there.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unspeakables dun goofed and summoned a demon, Harry's Auror squad came in to contain it, Harry did something suicidal to kill it and decided to saunter through the Veil as a last ditch attempt to survive. From what I remember.

15. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I just had to point it out again.

16. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I have decided to recommed this old piece, which I rediscovered while sorting through my favorites on FF.net.

So You've Decided to Be Evil by Evadne Harry Potter discovers there are things far, far more annoying than Death.
    Potter - Rated: K+ - English - Humor/Parody - Chapters: 6 - Words: 6,600

The main plot of this story is Harry being kidnaped by Voldemort to become his dark heir. It is good for a quick laugh if nothing else. It also contains my favorite portrayal of Lucius Malfoy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  17. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Very funny. Each story being so short helps it a lot, you don't have enough to get tired.

18. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Follow/FavRules of normality
    By: Alec48
    Harry James Potter tells the tale of his long and painful journey through life. After having made a mistake, Harry sought redemption and learned a bit too late, that regrets are eternal.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Romance - Harry P., Fleur D. - Chapters: 4 - Words: 20,403 - Reviews: 11 - Favs: 21 - Follows: 54 - Updated: 2h ago - Published: Jan 3 - id: 9989099

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9989099/1/Rules-of-normality

Pretty good start on this one. In this story Harry is older and is telling his story thru flashbacks. The chapters are formatted as such that we are reading actual diary entries (denoted by the italics) then watching the scene play out in real time. The basic premise seems to be that Harry is kicked out of the Dursleys and he just disappears for 3 years. When he reappears (we still don't know why, yet) he is stronger and has a plan.

First the pros:
    Solid update rate and a premise that is interesting so far. It seems as though the author has an idea of what he wants to accomplish. The writing is solid, although there are some grammatical mistakes here and there. Although there is the illusion of bashing Dumbledore, it is clear (through the "journal entries") that Harry just had a lot of anger and is acting like an angry teenager.

Cons:

There are many. Harry disappears for 3 years, he lives as a muggle for 2 years then meets two Romanians and somehow becomes exceptionally clever and powerful. He is pretty much a Gary-Stu at this point. The author doesn't do a great job of making it clear that this is completely AU. For example, he writes a scene where Harry/Fleur are having a conversation prior to the first task and Ron is standing there, supporting Harry. This clearly goes against canon, and although the author knows that, he hadn't done enough to show us that while similar, the events that happened in the books are different (Ron never got jealous in his version).

I'm posting the story here because at this point the story can go either way. The fact that things are told through flashbacks leads me to believe that we will get some more background on Harry.

19. SKsniper128

SKsniper128 Fifth Year

The story isn't bad at all, the diary/flashback format actually flows smoother than I had originally anticipated. It feels like Harry is simply narrating the story and it flows rather well. The writing also seems technically sound, there are no glaring grammatical or spelling errors and it is easy to tell when a scene or perspective changes.

I agree that the author probably should have made it a bit clearer earlier on that this Harry didn't share the same experiences of canon Harry up to Post-GoF. There are faint allusions to events not properly matching up scattered throughout the story but I did spend a bit of time trying to figure out why Harry behaved the way he did.

All in all, a decent find. Probably something I would favorite or at least follow, provided he doesn't take a nosedive into excessive Indy!Harry cliches.

-SK

20. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

My biggest issue is there is such a major skill gap between a 14 year old Harry and a 17 year old Harry. Especially since he'd been living w/o magic for 2 years.

Not open for further replies.