1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction's Worst Summaries v9.0

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Feb 13, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I think I am missing something here. Yes, they are disconnected sentences but that is not a bad summary. It conveys what the story is about, not like others that choose just some random dialogue that tells you nothing about it.

Now, were it something like:

Innocent by wouldtheywriteasongforyou "You tried to love me. But perhaps you didn't try hard enough. I tried to stop you. But perhaps I didn't try hard enough." He's the evil villain who switched sides too late. She's the trapped innocent good girl who fought, lied, cried, and bled for him. From evil to good, from good to bad . . . the lines of being innocent start to get blurred. Dramione. AH, AU, OOC. T-Swizzle, yo.
    Which, to be fair, I wouldn't call the worst summary but it doesn't really tell you that much except for the pairing and that they are out of character (at least she tells you about it, so that is something). I am left wondering though, what are AH and T-Swizzle supposed to mean?

2. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

The point of a summary is to tell what a story is about and make a reader stop and actually click on the story. E. C. Scrubb's fits the bill perfectly for being a 'worst' summary because no one here (or so I would think) would actually open that story (and if so, they wouldn't be expecting any thing more than 2/5 at most). Although, bakkasama, yours is just as bad. And in my opinion, neither tell what the hell the story is actually about and are just plain lazy in their presentation.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

:facepalm

I didn't dare open the story.

4. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

AH is easy enough, after hogwarts.

T-Swizzle though... I'm fairly sure that's just a nickname for Taylor Swift.

5. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I did. The writing wasn't particularly bad until this:

And this:

Exactly what I expected, but it could have been worse. "Using her 20/20 vision"... What else can I say?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Let's return to some classics, aye?

I'll stop now.

7. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Actually, I didn't find them to be bad summaries at all. Horrible stories, mind you, but not bad summaries.

Well, except for this:
    Being in M-preg anal-labor for a year before giving birth has to be horrible.

8. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I felt I had to bring up this gem:

If ever there were some words that warned me off a story they would be the words "MAY CAUSE TRIGGER FOR SELF-HARM".

I mean, really? You're actually warning me that reading your fic may induce me to cut myself? And you think this makes me more likely to read it?

9. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Dark Prince by LoveMyRomance reviews
    Harry is ignored because his brother is the "supposed" Chosen One. His parents abandon him and leave him with the Durselys. Abused and broken, Voldemort decides to rescue Harry. He raises Harry to be the perfect Slytherin. Watch out Light Side, the Dark Side has a secret weapon. Presenting, Hadrian Draven Riddle (Ron, Potters, Dumbles Bashing) HP/DG, DM/HG
    Rated: T - English - Suspense/Fantasy - Chapters: 13 - Words: 51,599 - Reviews: 202 - Favs: 496 - Follows: 791 - Updated: Jan 25 - Published: Nov 17, 2013 - [Harry P., Daphne G.] [Draco M., Hermione G.]

Jesus fuck, how many awful ideas can you fit in one summary? Ten, apparently, is the answer.
    ignored!Harry
    other!Bwl
    Abandoned-with-dursleys-while-parents-still-alive!Harry
    Abused!Harry
    VoldemortRaised!Harry
    PerfectSlytherin!Harry
    LightSide!
    AlteredName!Harry
    Bashing!
    HP/DG
    DM/HG
    Wait, apologies, that's eleven fucking things I don't want to read about. Obviously, any story with a Voldemort raised Harry is either going to be Harry/Draco, Harry/Snape, Harry/Voldemort, or Harry/Daphne. They're all pretty much equally awful at this point. And any story that has Draco as an important enough character to warrant a mentioning of his pairing is a story I don't want to read. And yes, it maybe be contradictory that I was searching for Harry/Daphne when I found this story, but some crazy part of me holds out hope that some day, a savior will rise from the ashes and write a mind blowing story involving the pairing.

10. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

I read this line and what I first understood was that Voldemort was abused and broken and thus decided to rescue Harry while not quite thinking clearly which would lead to amusing situations in which everyone wonders what is going on while it happens and a very confusing Voldemort the following morning who can't remember what the hell did he do the previous night. Which might actually make more sense than what was intended if you manage to find a character that might abuse and break Voldemort, though it could be a failed potion experiment that caused it.

11. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

Oh... so... m-preg is actually a thing that exists? Like, more than one or two people have actually written about this as a concept? Jesus tapdancing Christ on a pogo stick... I thought it was an inside DLP joke about one or two shitty Polyjuice fics involving male pregnancy.

Yeah, I fucking google'd it. Luckily I had the presence of mind not to do an image search... How is this so popular? :confused::facepalm

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

You tell us, you're a chick.

13. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sometimes you just don't get it. "Lunar Harmony"??? yeech.

14. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bad summary, but kinda tolarable fic. I'm always up for reading Tief!Harry...

15. CrippledGod

CrippledGod Banned

I don't really see anything wrong with the summary. The fic, however, is extremely meh.

16. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It partly is meh and spiked with clichés, but partly also almost recommendable and thus all in all a guilty pleasure.

17. Septonyte

Septonyte Muggle

When I saw the premise of this thread I instantly thought of this story because the summary is made of so much fail it needs to be placed here. (Note: I read the first 5 lines, just out of curiosity, and closed the tab.)

Where to start on this? I know, how about the COMPLETELY CAPITALIZED AND LAME-SHIT TITLE; shit dude, turn off the caps lock. This is like writing a Naruto Harem-fic and naming it Naruto Bones the Entire Hot Female Population of the Elemental Nations; at least put some frigging effort into the title. At least we know that the "Harry P."and "Daphne G." in the characters section are there for pairing and the "Hermione G." and "Astoria G." listings are there to increase this stories hits on ff.net's search engine, Unless the story degenerates further and becomes a typical Harem-fic, but that would never, ever happen in the Fanfic writing community.

Oh great, another YoungScholar!Harry story; at least rogue is spelled right. Unless he meant that Harry is pink-colored in which case he did mess up.

Let's see the next line and HOLY SHIT!!! A Slytherin!IceQueen!Daphne, Slytherin!IceQueen!Weasleys (all of them I guess, even Molly and Authur), Slytherin!IceQueen!Draco (LMAO, just LMAO), Slytherin!IceQueen!Hermione, Slytherin!IceQueen!Tracy, AND Slytherin!IceQueen!Neville :)facepalm). On top of all that Slytherin!IceQueen!iness (is that the right way to say it?) the author was actually able to fit in some romance, action, action adventure, AND mystery.

Believe it or not, this is actually better than the previous version of the story's summary; the old version had names and adjectives separated by periods but now the author knows how to use commas (he must have picked up a second brain cell somewhere). I really wish I had see this thread at that time.

18. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I'm not sure you get how commas work...

It's not saying that they are all slytherin ice queens, it's saying that it has SlytherinIceQueen!Daphne and all of these other characters.

19. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    DRAAAAAAAAAVEN.

Got axes, need victims.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Draven? Where did that pop out of? Usually, it's Hadrian/Harrison/Harold/Hari Krishna Salazar Riddle.

Not open for further replies.