1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

In case you got turned around, this is Almost Recommended, not For Review. There's no quality requirement other than that the story be considered okay by somebody enough to be recced. This means that depending on taste, you're going to end up sampling a bunch of fics that could be pretty shitty. Following that statement, nobody is requiring you to read anything; should you find anything objectionable in a story I urge you to use the small 'x' at the top of your browser window.

On the topic of the story you're so upset about, it's okay. Readable, kind of stupid, takes itself too seriously, but it's okay. I'd probably rate it a 2/5 to 3/5 so far, but I'm sorta enjoying it just because it occasionally creates an interesting-looking scene or brings up a new idea. I've seen stories that might merit a reaction like yours before. They're much, much worse than this one.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do, but I'm gonna make a friendly suggestion that you calm down, try to think about what you're writing before you hit reply next time, and stop being such an entitled prick.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I am amused at that story. It is terrible mind, but I enjoy seeing Harry rage while everyone is like, bro, it sucked but we had to do it. So much self righteousness that it is silly.

3. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

And you know what - I think it is supposed to be silly!

Because later in the story, Harry grows up a bit and can better reflect on these things.
    There are thousands of indy-Harry-stories out there, where the self-righteousness is taken seriously, wheras here, it actually is the stupid reaction of a young guy.

Obviously, the criticism concerning Vector's age is valid. I think it happened due the wish to introduce some strong characters (like in the other story I mentioned where one has these "colour of the Mage Association" people. There is supposed to be a rather large gap between normal schoolchildren who do not really study hard at magic, and those who, like Vector or Harry etc, actually train all day, get access to special resources etc.)

So yes, the story has its faults and its literary value is certainly not on the same level as some of the fics in the library, but it is a fun read since it contains critical things:
    1) Magic! Lots of it! Runes, Arithmancy and what not..
    2.) Ambition, Intelligence. Drive to learn.
    3.) Scale. Epicness. Action.
    4.) Conflict! Not just super!Harry but he is challenged!
    5.) At least some character interaction. This is obviously one of the weakest points, but still, it is there, partially at least. Certainly better than in this sociopath!Harry fic that was recced here a week ago...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Alright, moving on...

5. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

The sociopath!Harry fic was actually amusing though.

I wanted to say actually 'good', but it's really not, but it's still a level above... that.

6. Laby

Laby Squib

Title: Just Between Us
    Author: Meamit
    Pairing: Hr/Ron
    Rating: K+
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8395846/1/Just-Between-Us
    Story Summary: Conversations between Ron and Hermione when nobody else is listening - how the Golden Couple live and love after Hogwarts. *Just their voices, no description - designed to let your imagination take control!*

A fanfiction I loved reading, with a format I never encountered before (and which I didn't encountered again). As the summary says, you just have to imagine and picture things on your own. I found most of the little scenes funny and light to read. If you want something light headed, not complicated and quite funny feel free to read it !

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Protip: you may wish to link the first chapter instead of the ninety-seventh.

I read the first several chapters and it came off as bland, to be honest, and not very authentic in terms of the characters' voices. At times I had to go back and count lines "even odd" to figure out who was saying what.

Meh. It's been done a lot. The form is pretty limiting and becomes unwieldy in a longer story.

8. Laby

Laby Squib

Error fixed, thank you for pointing it :)

Will read ! I am interested to read more of this style, may be I am just amazed because it's the first one I saw in this style

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Title: Infliction

Author: The Straight Elf

Rating: T

Pairings: None

Summary: Harry was abandoned at Cole's Orphanage at the age of five. Harry was retrieved from it by a dark pair at age eight. Harry killed his first auror at age twelve. Harry rose to dominance at age fifteen. The story of Harry Potter's rise and fall.

Link (FFN):
    Infliction

Right-o, as it's been pointed out, I've been sparse on the information. Sorry about that, I suppose I should have just posted this in the same style as the thread on the Review sub-board. So I'll do that just now.

The reason why I like it? An interesting read, for me at least, but I don't think it'd thrill that many other people. Apologies for not being good at articulating about why I like it.

10. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

A little information maybe? What's the summary? Is there a pairing? Why do you like it? Why is it in Almost Recommended?

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Infliction is weird, depressing, and mediocre. It's not as bad as the summary makes it sound, but it's close. You aren't going to see canon!Harry anywhere, just an OC with a name on top.

12. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The beginning is very clichéd but I implore you to read it through the end. It's a small chuckle.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Isn't that sort of the point of AU fics? That Harry doesn't have to act at all like he did in the official books? He might, now and again, share a few similar traits, but when it comes down to it, Harry usually tends to be a different Harry than the one you've read about for 7 books.

14. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This one is fun too, in a weird sorta way

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Fun? That's downright depressing. Mind you, I liked the story, but it's not fun at all.

16. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You guys are sick.

Sick awesome.

17. Spyder

Spyder Third Year

Technically, No. AU stories don't contain a pre-requisite for an OC with "My Name is Harry" sticker slapped to his chest. Personally, though, I agree with T3T - other than some generic magic and random canon names, there's very little that connects this tale to "Harry Potter" - other than that sticker, of course.

It could have been overlooked if the story within was good enough to overcome that - sadly it wasn't. It starts with a fairly unsustainable scene in the orphanage (the transfer to St Brutus? :rolleyes:) and never seems to get any better after that - at least for me.

Happily, both of Hero of Stupidity's follow up recs made for good reading - but Playmate in particular. Well spotted - cheers.

18. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

There's a fine line between Good AU stories and Harry In Name Only fics.

As for Playmate.

Wow. That was good. And that got dark quickly.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Harry Potter and the Spirit's Heart is a decent HP/Dragon Age fic. Basically, Justice attaches itself to Harry during the World Cup fiasco. The writing is pretty good, but there's a few misspellings and such.

One of my biggest gripes with the story is that the divergence from canon took forever. I think things really started to change around chapter 10. So for the first 9 chapters you basically have a canon rehash with a few new scenes spliced in to show that Justice is changing Harry. But once chapter 10 comes around Harry is now interacting with Justice and changes to canon are happening more often.

Also, the fan cover art for the fic terrifies me.

20. BadManners

BadManners DA Member DLP Supporter

Clicked on it for the art, was not disappointed.

That horribly drawn portrait of Harry is pretty indicative of the story's quality, I couldn't get past chapter 2. It's chock full of a whole lot of passive voice, run on sentences, and the second chapter is damn near plagiarized right out of GoF.

This fic has that ephemeral self insert-esque quality that makes me feel like I'm more reading the author's idealized form of the fourth book, rather than a stand alone story meant to entertain others. Like I'm intruding on his fantasy or something, and while it doesn't make me nearly as uncomfortable as reading Plums' overly identifying masturbatory bullshit, it's still unsuitable as an actual story.

Not open for further replies.