1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I'm three chapters in so far. Not entirely sure why the author included Harry, or the name Ginny at all -- seems like it might have just been faster to write a story about a fiery redhead named Mary Sue. At least then we wouldn't have to sit through pages of Harry following Ginny's every command like a somewhat boring game of Simon Says. It also reminds me why I used to hate Harry/Ginny so much; authors have this fixation on the idea of the 'fiery redhead', so they make Ginny a crazy bitch who freaks out over every little thing, and they turn everyone around her into doormats who 'fear her wrath' for no real specified reason.

2. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Mainly this, after reading Ginny command Harry's every move in a fight with Dudley & Co, I exited.

3. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Wow. Are we even reading the same story? Ginny is in no way a Mary-Sue, nobody is a doormat, and Harry gives as good as he gets. Where in the world does Harry follow Ginny's every command? Also, if I was in a fight and I didn't know the first thing about actually fighting, following the advice of the person who does is the most sensible thing to do.

This story seems pretty realistic to me. I think that if two real life (i.e. not out of a story) were dropped into this situation, this is about how they'd react. I'm obviously not seeing the flaws you guys are.

4. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I dunno man, those were just the things that jumped out at me -- and Harry really does just go along with pretty much everything Ginny tells him to do.

I suppose you're right that Ginny isn't a 'Mary-Sue' in that she has flaws, but she has what I like to call throwaway flaws, things that on the surface seem like they can be called flaws but don't actually translate into any real flaw. Take her temper for example -- is she a huge bitch? Yes. Does it matter at all? No, for some reason everybody tolerates it and she never gets called on her shit. That's what makes her a Mary-Sue, in my opinion.

To those looking for stories to read: This characterization of Ginny and Harry is literally everything that I don't like about the pairing, so maybe that's got me biased. The fic is technically well-written, and it's not so godawful that your eyes will fall out, so while I wouldn't really recommend it, I'm not going to dis-recommend it either (or whatever the terminology would be there). Depending on taste I suppose it could be a decent timewaster.

5. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The story itself says Harry is following Ginny's commands, so not going to go further with that. Tis there in the text for you to read, if we are indeed reading the same story as you say.

As for the fighting experience, how in any way has Ginny got more experience fighting then Harry? A hunting game with brothers, does no way equate to more experience then Harry. Harry, who has been playing Harry Hunting his whole life. Harry, who in his first two years of schooling faced numerous life threatening situations. Suddenly, with this new bond, Harry can no longer handle himself, yet his magically soul mate has all the answers.

The person who has been in these situations as long as they can remember, can no longer handle themselves, yet the person who has never ever been in this situation, suddenly gives him every answer he needs, in this particular instance. Like I said, I couldn't bring myself to read much past that.

The soul bond? Maybe it is done well, I didn't read the fic so I don't know. As for characterizations, well when one character can no longer do something they have done their whole life, then another character can do something they have never done before, for no reason at all, well I struggle to continue.

I think it's right to be posted here in Almost Recommended, wouldn't put it up for review for the Library. The writing is sound from what I read, so that's a plus. Maybe some people like it, but not my cuppa. Sorry.

6. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I'm not going to harp on this because it's all a matter of personal taste, and if you don't like the story, you don't like it. I would like to address this point, though.

From what I understand, Harry Hunting was resolved by Harry basically running away. I'm not saying this to call him a coward, because when you're outnumbered by people individually stronger than you, it's the sensible thing to do. What I'm getting at though is that he's never physically confronted Dudley and his gang. Similarly, those life threatening situations he's faced haven't been resolved physically (save perhaps him grabbing Quirrell), but rather magically. So when confronting the situation with Dudley, his admittedly significant experience doesn't really apply.

Ginny, on the other hand, has grown up with six boys, two of them being quite devious tricksters. It's a safe bet that she's had to find ways to deal with them, so listening to her advice is actually quite sensible. In the same situation I probably would have listened to her just like Harry did.

At any rate, if the story isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. I've stated my opinion on it and engendered conversation to boot. I'll call that a win.

7. meev

meev Groundskeeper

That's cool, it's still a shit story though.

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I was under the impression that Esama had culled her fanfiction presence entirely. This is no longer the case- her stories have been reposted on Archive of Our Own since the beginning of the year, and she's replying to reviews (i.e. it's not just a fan posting).

http://archiveofourown.org/users/esama/works

9. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I though that it would be nice to reread her SG xovers, but the first HP fic I'm met with is Harry/Jarvis(from avengers).

How does that even work? Is it robot slash? Does harry magic up a body for him? I guess I'm reading this fic now.

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A pretty good one-shot.

11. redshell

redshell Order Member

Jarvis was originally Tony Stark's butler, so it is theoretically possible. They made him into an AI for the Marvel Movie 'Verse because if he was a butler it'd draw too many comparisons to Batman.

12. Tinder

Tinder Seventh Year

Not everything has been reposted. I don't have a list to compare what's there against, but there are definitely some fics missing. Hopefully she will post them soon.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Probably?

Though it'd be an interesting slash fic if it doesnt come to that. Internet boyfriends. yaaaay.

14. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I haven't read the fic, and without knowing anything about how Ginny was teaching Harry to fight, my mind went directly to the King of the Hill episode where Bobby takes a women's self defense class.

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Now someone has to write a oneshot where Harry's "power the dark lord knows not" is pocket sand.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Title: Weasley Girl

Author: Hyaroo

Rating: K+

Pairings: None

Genre: Friendship/Adventure

Summary: We all know the stories that ask "What if Harry Potter was a girl," right? But what if Ron Weasley was a girl? Imagine that the first person Harry befriends on the Hogwarts Express is not Ronald Weasley, but Veronica "Ronnie" Weasley, first born daughter of the Weasley clan for generations... what might happen then?

Link (FFN):
    Weasley Girl

There's more to this divergence than just simply altering the gender of one character, but for knowing more, without being spoiled by yours truly who utterly sucks at giving summaries and sentences which would make this fic interesting enough for your perusal, I'll just stop blabbering here and hope a few of you read it.

It's nothing special, nothing truly outstanding, but I like the silly bits of it a lot, and it's just got that special feel that I experienced when first reading "Philosopher's Stone", without, as already mentioned, simply rehashing the majority of the stuff that happens in it.

17. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

Dude, seriously? Read the thread, that fic has been posted three times by now.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Whoops? I'll be editing that post then and posting something else in the next hour or so.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Leave it up there man, not everyone religiously follows every post in this thread.

It's useful, fics that multiple people like like this, have more exposure.

Works imo. :)

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wait, multiple people like that? o_O

Not open for further replies.