1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Personally I'm glad every time it's posted, as it's another chance for me to see that hilarious picture of female!Ron the author is rocking.

2. Photon

Photon Order Member

Now I am happy that I use adblock to disable almost all images on ff.net.

3. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Phantasy
    By: Tsume Yuki
    Tom Riddle was fully expecting to stay in hell forever. But the brat-who-lived and friend has, of course, come along with an offer too tempting to refuse. Albus Dumbledore was fully expecting Harry Potter's name down for the next year at Hogwarts. He just wasn't expecting two Dark-Lords to be enrolling as well. Time-travel -sort of- and FemHarry
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure - Harry P., Tom R. Jr., Gellert G. - Chapters: 8 - Words: 41,064 - Reviews: 332 - Favs: 465 - Follows: 627 - Updated: Mar 3 - Published: Dec 6, 2013

I personally thought this was a rather fun read. The author does a pretty good job of characterization, which helps make up for a rather weak plot. Not library material, but enjoyable, especially if you like time travel stories.

4. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Oh it's an atrocious fanfiction. I mean, I'm rabidly following it and read every update but it's godawful. Enjoyable, sure, but with very few redeeming factors. Same with her other fics.

5. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah... I read it, but boy, it was bad.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Title: Ink Stains

Author: Dreams2Paper11

Rating: T

Pairings: None

Genre: Hurt/Comfort/Angst

Summary: In which Harry was sealed inside Tom Riddle's diary during his second year and tossed into another world, upon where he finds himself in Bruce Banner's lonely hands. With the life Banner leads, he supposes that he shouldn't be surprised by this "Harry Potter" kid somehow sealed in a "magical" diary. Besides, what's better than having a friend that can fit in your pocket?

Link (FFN):
    Ink Stains

Right, I'm usually averse to any sort of Marvel crossovers, as quite frankly, the whole setting doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Except maybe for the Punisher, but that often works more in a world of its own, secluded from capes and spies.

But this fic is just something odd that I came across while I was checking on the author's other fic (which is in the process of being rewritten).

I never did watch the Avenger films, primarily because of my lack of interest in the whole thing. After reading this fic, I did go and watch it, if only to gain a modicum of knowledge on how the characters look like and act in it.

There's obvious bits that are just transcribed directly from the film, yet done in a neat way that it doesn't make it tedious, or at least it didn't seem so for me, but then again I first read the fic and then watched the film, so that's bound to give way to some bias, no matter how slight.

Anyhoo, I probably rambled a bit too much, so there you have it.

Go read it. Or don't.

7. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

Yeah, I used to follow that. Turns out the author wasn't kidding when they selected the genre. There were so many angst scenes that it read like a slash fic, despite the summary's claim of "NO SLASH". If you can get around that (I couldn't), it might be alright. If I remember correctly, it had solid technical writing and a rather unique plot. I'd say Almost Recommended was a good place for this one.

8. meev

meev Groundskeeper

I tend to find that's always the case. Anyone who bothers to label a fic's genre as angst doesn't mean the fic has emotional conflict and distress, it means the entire story is about that angst. All angst all the time. Which makes sense I suppose given it's labeled as a genre, but that doesn't make it any less shit.

Maybe there are exceptions to that, but I can't remember reading any.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I thought it appropriate, what with Harry being 12 years old, tricked into the diary, then cast out into an unknown world, where he lacked even the very notion of time's passage.

That said, the angst bits have been cut down in the more recent chapters.

10. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Im not quite sure if this review is supposed to convince me to try the fic or warn me against it?

11. The Iron Rose

Neither? It's just really pretty bad. I follow it anyway because I find it amusing but I'd never recommend it. It's a solid 1/5. It's not even the sort of fanfiction I'll enjoy despite being mediocre in terms of literary quality. It's just out and out bad, but I enjoy it because I find it funny. There's nothing redeeming in it. Your choice whether to read it, I've no dog in this game.

12. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

I'd call it a guilty pleasure fic for those who like time travel stories. If you don't care for those fics, you should just ignore it. I'd personally say that it's a 2/5 since I found it fairly entertaining.

Probably should have mentioned that when I posted the recommendation. Oh well.

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You know, I never understood the concept of guilty pleasures.

If I don't like something, then I don't. If I like something, then I do. Why feel guilty about it?

14. The Iron Rose

I agree entirely. I like, even love, lots of things that are objectively mediocre at best. See: the best of fanfiction, The Dresden Files, basically any Black Library books. People get way too wrapped up in whether or not what they like is good or not. There's lots of things that I love that aren't really fantastic, see above, and there's lots of things I hate that I can acknowledge that are objectively good! I don't have time for a lot of classics because I'm more of a swords and sorcery kinda gal, but even if I find them boring that doesn't mean they're bad. Enjoy what you enjoy whether it's objectively good or not is my MO.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go talk to my dealer.

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How are The Dresden Files objectively mediocre?!

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Objectively, the first three books are clumsy writing, holding up by their novelty more than anything. Ghost Story was just bad, as if Butcher had tried writing fanfiction of his own series.

17. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I posted this here a few months ago but it finally posted again after a few months hiatus and I decided I'd re-post it.

By: OctaviusOwl
    Voldemort won the war. Harry Evans attends Hogwarts where discrimination is rampant. Voldemort rules Britain but a Resistance movement is fighting back. No one knows much about them for sure, except for their name: The Marauders. Fourth Year. TriWizard Tournament. AU.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure - Harry P., Fleur D. - Chapters: 12 - Words: 43,465 - Reviews: 136 - Favs: 251 - Follows: 367 - Updated: 19h ago - Published: Aug 12, 2013 - id: 9591005
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9591005/1/Champion

I really like this story and think that in a few chapters, if it doesn't completely shit the sheets, it could be library worthy.

The basic premise is that Voldemort won and elevated all purebloods to an elite status while making Muggleborns and Half Bloods second class citizens. He's also stripped Harry of his "traitor" father's last name while allowing Lily and Harry Evans to adopt Hermione. It isn't the most original idea but it's executed well. Harry is competing in the Triwizard Tournament while the terrorist group "The Marauders" are trying to overthrow the Government. At Hogwarts Harry, Hermione, Seamus, and Dean are just trying to survive the pureblood's attacks.

The worst elements of this story are pacing and the amount of bashing directed at non-purebloods. The story is 12 chapters and 43k words and the Yule Ball was just announced.
    The bashing directed at the non-purebloods is a little overwhelming early on, the author is constantly reminding us of how shitty it is to be a non-pureblood and it's annoying However it seems to have tapered a bit recently.

18. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I never really read reviews of the books, but it's nice to know I'm not imagining things. I like the series, but I thought Ghost Story was pretty atrocious at some points.

19. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Simple. It's a guilty pleasure if you know it's crap but like it despite that. Usually you're a bit embarrassed about it.

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4/14. :/

Yeah, I'll give you the first 3 definitely. Was never a big fan of those. But it's hardly fair to judge a series by its worst books.

Not open for further replies.