1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Son of the Western Sea by Mac Calleach - T - Percy Jackson

Discussion in 'Books' started by Probellum, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Son of the Western Sea
    Author: Mac Calleach
    Rating: T
    Fandom:
    PJO
    Paring: So far, Percy/Amaterasu
    Summary: All myths are true. Outside the borders of Western Civilization lies the rest of the world. After the Second Olympian War, a restless Percy Jackson sails for the horizon, and never stops. AU after The Last Olympian. Percy x various mythological figures, het and slash.

Chapters/Words So Far: 2 Chapters & 47K Words

It's only two chapters, right now, but it's so good, I can't help but put it up for review.

This fic is probably the best PJO fic I, personally, have been able to find. Any of you who have taken a look at the fandom or been on IRC when Ryuugi is fruitlessly searching as well probably know this doesn't say much by itself.

However, this fic is awesome. The Characters are realistic (As realistic as Gods and Monsters can be, anyway), the way the other pantheons are being handled so far doesn't make me scream 'Bullshit!' And the politics between them is interesting.

As far as what the fic about goes, it's basically Percy developing a strong sense of Wanderlust. It's hinted pretty heavily that it's something felt by all the great heroes, by Chiron. So, with his new found sense of wanderlust, he finds a beaten up old boat, fixes it up over a couple years and sets off for adventure.

The way the Percy/Annabeth relationship is handled there is pretty believable, too.

4.5/5 from me, simply because it doesn't quite have the flair or feel of a 5/5 fic, too me, at this point.

2. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Saw it on Ryuugi's favorite stories list (Yea, I sometimes check your favorites list), it's pretty awesome so far. The author says it's both het and slash, tho considering it's trying to stay true to the myths it's a given. Was considering putting it up for a review myself after it had some more flesh.

Only problem I have so far is that it'd seem like, in the first chapter, the author was skipping lots of time too fast but the second chapter showed me that he was going to show the Percy's side of the things as well. I'll give it 4/5, and will raise it to 5/5 if it doesn't disappoint me. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to mythology.

3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

This is really really good. I might be rating it higher than it should, but good Percy Jackson stories are so hard to come by.

5/5.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I loved the ending to chapter two. Nothing beats good old western pride.

5. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

This is absolutely the best Percy Jackson fic I've read. As noted, not a great achievement, but that doesn't stop the story from being at least a 4/5 right now. With only two chapters, that's pretty impressive.

I loved that the author managed to include humor reminiscent of Rick Riordan, toned down to demonstrate how Percy has matured with age and experience. Any ridiculous event or thought didn't feel misplaced or cliché. She even managed to keep Percy the lovable idiot he is without being an actual moron (i.e. leaving without bothering to learn about the place he's traveling to). The story just exudes Percy's essence, you know?

(Yeah, I may be slightly biased because this a good fic surrounded by mediocrity. I hope I can raid Mac Ceallach's favorites for some more PJO goodies, but I won't hold my breath)

The other characters are well handled, too. It's refreshing to read an ex-girlfriend (er, basically ex-girlfriend) Annabeth that's not a villain, and I like all the OC's and foreign pantheons. They fit snuggly in the PJO universe, and I enjoyed the references to Egyptian demigods and Camp Jupiter. And the interactions between the Olympians was done beautifully. I didn't feel like I was reading about annoying, thoughtless concepts. I felt like I was reading about—well, gods that had actual duties.

Clearly the author's done her homework. New myths were added pretty seamlessly (like I said, the OC's weren't obnoxious), and the settings were detailed to the point that I suspected she traveled to the places Percy visited—but she hasn't, according to her Author's Note.

And the Salmon of Knowledge. Holy shit, I love that fish. Did anyone get a sense that his gift was like the Babel Fish? You know, instead of just understanding everyone, you also speak other languages... Alright, so they're not exactly alike. But both deal with communication and were... fishy. Close enough. Had a minor giggle-fest over it.

On the negative: The jumps in time were slightly grating. It made the beginning feel a bit rushed, and the jumps from Percy to Olympus confused me at first. I thought the author spontaneously decided to cut Percy's journey out to get to the aftermath. Then once I got into the change, it made me almost disappointed to be back with Percy because I wanted to know what the Olympians would find out, what they'd do. Of course I got invested in Percy's adventure again quickly, so I doubt it'll bother me much when new chapters come out. Still. It sort of ruined the build up.

6. carl

carl Seventh Year

According to the last chapter it does look like it's going to be some Slash, unless I've misunderstood?

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

To be honest; it's Greek mythology there will always be some slash.

Tho what was it about the 2nd chapter that gave you the slash vibe? I didn't notice anything.

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Slash/Het pairings apparently, but I'm betting the slash refers to other characters considering Percy's shenanigans with Racheal/Amaterasu.

9. carl

carl Seventh Year

Sorry, it was the note at the end of the last by one paragraph on Chapter 1.

10. psychobob35

psychobob35 Fourth Year

It specifically says that Percy will have male and female lovers.

11. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Really love this story so far, am expecting great things from this. Thanks for sharing, OP.

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Meh. No matter how good it is, I can't read a fic where the main protagonist. engages in slash.

Well, I can, but I cannot rate it very high.

13. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    As long as it's not explicitly described, I don't really have a problem with slash, not so long as it's believable within the characterization of the characters involved.

14. mangaguy

mangaguy Fifth Year

As long as it's handled well, I see no problem with it. God myths are notoriously fluid with sexuality anyways.

15. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Well worth reading, at least at this point in time.

Easy 5/5

16. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Erm. Yeah, it would be pretty shitty and random if they randomly had Percy be Bi. I assumed they we're gonna have other mythological characters have slash moments since it's so widely featured in mythology.

17. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

Putting aside the pairings for now....I really enjoyed the few chapters we've gotten so far. Actually, I like any fic that involve a lot of world-traveling and myth exploration and this story covers both of that.

Haven't read PJ in a while but the voices and characterizations did seem spot on. The shifting POV/time frames were confusing at first, but by the end of the second chapter, it's obvious that it's some kind of explicit foreshadowing of what's to come. Only makes me look forward to the next few chapters, really.

18. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

19. azrael

azrael Professor

Hmm, I liked the first part of the chapter, about Percy's earlier travels, but the second part where it shifts back to later events wasn't so good, imo. The first part had a real Percy Jackson feel to it, true to the character, but the second part just falls flat to me (and not just because Percy is bi in this story).

20. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I feel that the past is better because the character development is at that point. We haven't seen what Percy goes through to land him in that situation, so it feels off.