1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Is the Wizengamot a separate entity from the Ministry of Magic?

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It seems that the Wizengamot takes rather significant inspiration from the witenagamot, the Anglo-Saxon predecessor to parliament.

Like the early parliament, the witenagamot was not anything so formal as an institution. Rather it was an event: a gathering of the realm's preeminent secular and religious leaders. It did not meet regularly or on a scheduled basis, but as needed - either summoned by a monarch, or self-organised to deal with certain matters (e.g. settling succession).

So, if the analogy holds, and the Wizengamot is a modern wizarding version of the witengamot, then its powers will be far ranging (predating any idea about separation of executive, legislative and judicial powers) and membership would likely be by invitation, consisting of those who are most influential in society. For Muggles these were landowners. For wizards, who knows?

As cliché as it has become, it might well be a wizarding House of Lords (pre-1911 Parliament Act).

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

There is surprisingly little known about the Wizengamot. It's first of all a court, so I suppose it ought to be separate from the Ministry, but we see the Minister in the role of, well, what? He's clearly presiding there, but also the prosecutor (Edit: AND he's voting with the jury too! Rofl.) -- but perhaps it's not an actual trial. They call it a 'hearing', and Fudge, Umbridge and Bones are 'interrogators'.

If it's indeed a disciplinary hearing, though, you really have to wonder how the full Wizengamot (serving as a 50-men jury) could possibly get involved with it. So that might indicate that Fudge indeed has influence over the Wizengamot as a body, be it directly, or indirectly through supporters of his that are members.

It's a tough one to untangle. I kind of like the theory that Dumbledore, as the Chief Warlock, would usually have presided over the Wizengamot, but since he got removed (by Fudge directly? Or again, by supporters of his?), the Ministry has the first claim on the post as an interim Chief Warlock -- which then would be Fudge himself, naturally.

Two other bits that might be interesting: In the GoF scenes in the pensive, the body that sentences the Death Eaters is called the "Council of Magical Law", not the Wizengamot, and (since that theory is probably the most persistent theory in FF), the only shred of evidence that the Wizengamot is anything other than a court is in a Daily Prophet article in OotP, which has Marchbanks and Ogden resign over the Ministry creating the post of an Inqusitor at Hogwarts. One could argue that if it was only a court, resigning over what is clearly a legislative matter wouldn't make much sense.

On the other hand, however, you have the quote of Lupin;
    Edit: Or what Taure says. That RL analogy shouldn't be discounted.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If it is like the traditional parliament, it would be all at once the body from which the executive government is composed, the highest court of the land, and capable of passing laws. That blurring of powers would explain Fudge's position there.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The same Barty Jr. who fooled Dumbledore for a year? The same Barty who was able to hoodwink the Goblet of Motherfucking Fire?

Okay, okay, I'll stop. But still.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    How did the Horcrux survive in Harry? I'm starting to wonder if this is a plot hole based on the following syllogistic arguments:

Prop 1: only very powerful magic can destroy a Horcrux.
    Prop 2:the Killing Curse destroyed the Horcrux in Harry in DH
    Conclusion 1: the Killing Curse qualifies as "very power magic" (that can destroy the Horcrux.)

Prop 1: the Killing Curse kills when it hits a person
    Prop 2: the protection of sacrifice through love stopped the Killing Curse against Harry in the backstory
    Conclusion 2: the protection of sacrifice through love is more powerful than the Killing Curse

SO
    Conclusion 2: the protection of sacrifice through love is more powerful than the Killing Curse
    Conclusion 1: the killing curse is shown as magic that can destroy the Horcrux

If that is true, then,

Prop 1: protection of sacrifice through love can destroy a Horcrux.
    Prop 2: Harry had that protection until book four
    Prop 3: Harry had the Horcrux long before he lost the protection
    ______
    Conclusion: the protection should have destroyed the Horcrux

So: either the Horcrux should have been destroyed by the protection, or the Horcrux has no ability to interact with the physical/magical plane.

However, a Horcrux ties a person to this plane of existence through magic, so the latter possibility isn't correct.

So, how did the Horcrux survive?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  7. Sesc

... wat?

"A sword can kill people. I have shield that stops the sword. Thus, the shield is more powerful and should kill more people."

Is that actually what you're arguing?

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    it would be, except that "the shield" also killed people in this case (Quirrell), so that actually isn't a one-to-one comparison.

(EDIT: Or, a better way to look at it, yes. A sword keeps striking a shield. Whichever one is destroyed first, is weaker, and the one that remains is the stronger/better forged metal. So, I actually do think that works, especially in the case of one curse being tossed and not just stopped, but repelled since a Killing curse is otherwise unstoppable).

It seems that killing Horcruxes is one of the very few things in the HP world that actually is tied to some type of magical power level/deep magic/whatever you want to call it. So the magical ability of a protection, when it comes in contact with something that in its essence, wants to harm Harry (it's VOLDEMORT'S soul), should have reacted in the same way. The rest was just proving that it was more powerful than a Killing Curse, since it is essentially magic on magic.

That, in truth, is what I'm arguing.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

How does the Killing Curse even... work? I mean, yes, it kills people. But how? Does it rip the soul out from the body? Does it make the body cease functioning?

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I wonder what clued you into that. Was it the name? I bet it was the name that gave it up.

12. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It's just magic. Read the beginning of GoF: the coroners could not find a single thing wrong with the Riddles. "They seemed perfectly healthy - besides the fact that they were dead."

Or some such. So essentially, it just kills you in a purely existential sense. There is no "cause of death." You just die.

13. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

I like to think that there is some mechanism that causes death other than "just magic;" it's just that nobody knows what that mechanism actually is. 'cause, you know, I don't like the "just magic" excuse being literally true, as I've gone over many times before.

14. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think the other term used was "natural causes," if you don't like the "it's magic" tag. :p

Heart failure? But then . . . Heart-Failure Curse just doesn't have the same ring to it.

15. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I think it's been pretty well established that you're incapable of grasping what the word magic means.

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Just magic" is not an explanation the same way "god did it" is not an explanation. How, within the physics of that universe, did it happen? Probably by stopping neural activity in the brain (it is possible to revive people whose hearts have been stopped).

17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just magic.

18. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If we're talking physics, then HP has about as much of that as Mass Effect where spaceships make sharp turns in space with engines that have nowhere near enough thrust vectors to make that possible.

TLDR; it's fiction.

19. Sesc

Already talking about "neural activity" means you're outside the world and its rules.

How does Wingardium Leviosa levitate a feather? It just does. There's no anti-gravity, no repulsion, no anything. It's magic.

20. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

It is in a universe where god can and does explicitly interfere with humans, it would just be a statement of a fact. Just as the Killing Curse is a curse that kills. How it does that? Through magic.

Not open for further replies.