1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Not quite. He clarified later that he's finishing Copacetic before going on to that.

Also, Scarab never transitioned to Scion Earth. There's one interlude there, for some reason I never really understood, before everything moves right back to Earth Bet.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

No. He said he was finishing Copacetic and dropping everything else.

3. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Navigating Space battles is kind of difficult. I'm assuming they're the equivalent of WBA section, if so where can I get the polished parts?

4. Hello

Hello Professor

That is a bad assumption. The authors will often go back and edit their story posts when people provide them with grammatical feedback and the like, but there is no actual polishing beyond that.

5. Agayek

In essence, the "Creative Writing" forum is roughly analogous to the WbA here. That's where all the fics are posted, with a subforum called "The Index" for discussion/ideas/whatever threads.

Edit:
    @Hello: You say that like the WbA here doesn't do more or less the same thing. It's pretty rare in general for there to be detailed character/plot refinements in things that were already written, no matter where it's posted. I've actually seen it happen more on Spacebattles, but that's most likely simply a matter of volume more than anything else.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  6. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

This is not the case.

The author said he plans to finish Copacetic, but otherwise won't continue fanfiction.

While I like the premise of Copacetic, I can't help but feel as I read every chapter that it would be so much better in the hands of a more talented author.

7. Skyshayde

Skyshayde Squib

I'm fairly certain the author plans on quitting after Copacetic.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Just chipping in to say that the author is finishing Copacetic before moving away from fanfiction towards their own stuff.

Has it been said enough times yet, you think?

9. chaosfire999

chaosfire999 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This is the most recent Wormverse thread. It's the closest you'll get to 'the polished parts.'

Which is to say, it's not close at all. It's a definitive list of all Worm fan fiction on Spacebattles with no thought at all towards what's good or bad. They try and list the nature of crossovers, if relevant.

There are two lists. The first is stories with their own threads and the second is everything posted in the Worm discussion thread. Honestly, it's a pain to keep track so I don't. Just once I went down the second list and read most things with more than two chapters. Since then the list has changed but there's no record of when so you can't just go back and check for updates. It's a one time thing!

10. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just read Scarab. Loving it.

The interactions between Taylor and the other characters are so interesting. Especially with Tattletale and Shadow Stalker.

11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not quite definitive. It only lists the stories which began life in the wormverse-ideas-recs-and-fic-discussion-thread. Stories which were posted straight to Creative Writing without ever going through the Ideas thread don't get added to the index.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Any particular reason why they don't post their stuff on ffn or something similar?

13. Agayek

Some do; a good portion of them in fact. I'm not sure why the others don't, assuming it's something more than not wanting to track two places to update, but they're usually a minority.

14. Materia-Blade

Materia-Blade First Year

Heh. Ow. Sad panda, but I do what I can.

I post on ff.net but held up on fixing the Danny Chapter.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I'm lazy about it and procrastinate a lot.

16. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

Clockwork
    It has some things in common with Friends, although with a more lighthearted tone.

Survival Strategy
    The interesting thing about this fic is that it focuses less on violence, and direct cape antagonists, and a Taylor that tries to succeed in other ways with her power (canon btw.), not something many fics explore.
    I'm not the biggest fan of her partway reconciliation with Emma, and that it is apparently becoming her assignment to redeem Sophia, instead of Sophia being truly punished, maybe I'm just a less than forgiving person, but I can emphasize with neither, perhaps I've also read too many Worm revenge snippets :)

17. ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6 Squib

This was just abandoned... Author realized (his own words) that he wrote himself into a grave and couldn't fix the story in a satisfying manner.

18. frantic

frantic Boosted

This has always been hilarious to me. The ability to show you have - and can produce content is always nice, and you have fans from writing fanfiction. Fans, who if you post an update and say something like "Hey guys, I wrote a book! If you enjoy my writing, I'd appreciate it if you read it!" would probably buy it.

Going into full 'shut everything down' mode when you want to do original fiction is dumb. I have 33k of original stuff I wrote for Nano, and I still write for it, and I can read and write fanfiction. Why stop writing for a fandom just because you want to mess around with your own universe?

I grew up writing and reading fanfic. I've written trash, I've read trash, and I've written some decent stuff, and read some damn fine pieces. I can't imagine giving it up to write and read exclusively original work - I enjoy doing both, why can't I continue to do so?

If you say "I'm only going to write original fiction now," it sounds like you've decided to look down on fanfic. Why? Just because it isn't published? Why does that matter?

I've written over a hundred thousand words on my own. Do you know what that means to me? It means I've written enough to publish at least two fucking books. That makes me feel pretty happy. It means that I can write volume, at least. But I'd never say "That makes me a writer", what makes me a writer is the fact that I write because I love writing. Just dropping fanfiction because you want to do original only - that's not a love of writing. That's sort of arrogant, in my opinion. It's treating one medium as if its lesser then the other, and really, is it? Are you going to say you've read books that aren't worse than a fanfic, or a fanfic that isn't better then a book?

It's not the medium that matters; it's the fucking person.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah you're right I guess that particular person is different to you huh. x)

20. fire

fire Order Member

Frantic,

I don't think an author who gives up fanfiction for original fiction necessarily does so because they think the latter inferior.

Most fanfiction authors seem to like fanfiction well enough - why else would they write it, if they didn't enjoy it? It just seems to me that an author - naturally - wants to work on their own ideas. They give up fanfiction because one might not have enough time to devote to both writing fanfiction and developing original ideas.

It's not a matter of looking down on fanfiction, but of committing to your own work.

But there are of course the lazy bums like Lamora who are too busy flying F-22s and fucking girls in cockpits to put in the next update.

Not open for further replies.