1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommended VI

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 9, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

It wasn't all that horrible in my opinion. It definitely has some of the better Dumbledore/IndyHarry interactions that I've read.

It updated just today so I went and read it, pretty good if you can ignore the Author's idiot ANs.

If you're looking for medium to fast paced stories though, it's definitely a skip. It's really really slow in plot building.

2. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

I think you should hold off several chapters more before submitting that. There's a pretty good chance it's going to go to hell once the author actually adds some regular characters in from Hogwarts, assuming they're anything like Draco and just kind of follow Harry around without having any real purpose.

Also half the chapter length are the dumbass A/N's rambling about pointless shit like which famous actors and actresses are going to play each character (wtf?) and asking reviewers to nominate girls to pair Harry with.

It's not a bad fic by any means though.

3. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Not really, It's already at 131k words and maybe less than an 8th of that word count is the A/Ns. The most recent chapter is huge and has almost no A/N at all.

Also, it's introduced plenty of characters from Hogwarts, including Hermione, Ron, Harry's doppelganger and a number of others.

As for the subject of the A/N's I totally agree, weird as all get out, but I think they're trying to give the reader a basis for what the characters look like without having to describe them, which is kind of helpful but still odd.

That said, I'll hold off on any kind of recommendation to see if it keeps it's (in my opinion) upward trajectory in content and quality.

Edit: There's a reason for Draco's attitude and it's actually explained. Don't know if you just skimmed or something but it's quite clear what's going on and why.

4. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

Nah I know what's going on. When I said Draco follows Harry around I mean just that -the fic would drop around 50k words if Draco was removed and Harry was acting on his own, and yet nothing would really have changed as far as the story goes because all Draco does is follow Harry around and watch him do the things he does then add some dialogue for word count (ie. the Azkaban breakout of Regulus).

New characters have been mentioned, but I mean introduced as in Harry actually becoming friends with them, which I assume will come in the next few chapters. If all the characters turn out like Draco it would ruin the fic for me, at least, and the author does seem to love bringing up random inconsequential people (ie. all the 'immortals' that were given pretty lengthy summaries and who I doubt we'll ever actually see in the fic) so I am hoping she doesn't pull in some of the girls she talked about adding in chapter 6's A/N lol.

I think the next couple of chapters will either make the fic vastly better or vastly worse with no middle ground, is all.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. Hadrian07

Hadrian07 First Year

So Scott, you're basically complaining because of a few OC's, some MINOR grammatical errors and nothing more? And that's just in the first half of the first chapter. You're certainly quick to judge.

6. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

You get pretty jaded after reading fanfition for a few years mate.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never forget, we're a bunch of elitist assholes here. :p

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    These days, unless I'm in a guilty pleasure mood, fanfiction has to be better than published fiction for me to read it, as that's what it's competing with for my time.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh, fine. Make up OCs, be my guest. But don't friggin call what I pointed out earlier MINOR errors. This isn't your/you're or they're/their, dude. This is mixing went and when, which are two words whose meanings are not even similar and the only two things they have in common are the letters 'w' and 'e'. And the repeat was nothing less than idiotic. The fact that it was all in the first half of the first chapter isn't a redeeming quality, it's the exact opposite. Reading stories with such bad mistakes is like trying to take notes while someone is dragging their fingernails on the blackboard. You twitch and cringe every time you hear that sound.

TLDR; I'm a vain person who looks at the superficial first and that story threatens to gauge my eyes out just by looking at it. So sue me.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. MrSam

MrSam Third Year

It's shit, the grammar is bad, the pairings are shit and the history is shit...as always, your recomendation is shit.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Yeah, seems that you exclusively recommend shit. Did you sign up when the site had the April Fools makeover?

12. ScottPress

High Score:
    MrSam, Andro, you deserve a big pizza each. Well spoken, sirs.

13. 0jordinio0

0jordinio0 Seventh Year

...I honestly thought he was just a lurker who decided to troll. Are you telling me he has been legit serious? Because most of the fics he has recommended have been slash, with bad grammar and even worse pairings EVEN for a slash fic. Snape/Voldemort for instance - The hell? Why would anyone, gay or otherwise want to read about a fugly, hook nosed arsehole getting it on with a snake/human hybrid?

Has this guy even read proper good fanfiction - like maybe one of Shezza's work or something? Because maybe reading a master-piece like that might cure him of this weird fixation of his.

Edit: This just in - I forgot to make my offering today, to the altar I have praying to Shezza for more epic Hp stories that feature a Harry like the one in his Denarian Series. I'll just go do that now....

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

I checked out his FFN profile when he first cropped up and I don't think he's a troll.

I'm not entirely sure why he's on DLP when he clearly has such a different taste in fics to everyone here, and I'm even less sure why he hasn't been banned yet. I don't really visit DLP all that often but I do recall people being banned for less than what he's posted.

16. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    What? We ban people for bad recommendations now?

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We ban people for persistently making bad posts when told otherwise.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    I think we can agree that he probably hasn't.

I don't know what's worse: people like this guy, or serial lurkers with no defined presence other than the username who only joined to read WbA.

19. Daidalos

Daidalos Fourth Year

Reading some of these recent comments almost makes me reconsider my self-identification as an unbearable elitist.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You earn a ban by breaking the rules. I don't think Potter Law is an enforced set of rules, so you don't get banned for bad reccs or for continuing to make such reccs after being harangued by the general community.

You do earn contempt from fellow members for such acts, however.

Not open for further replies.