1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Enjoying this story. It's good fun.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You're gonna have to wait until summer break for more updates though, the author has exams on the way and has said as much.

So Soars the Young Falcon updated twice, once with a Hoster Tully and the other an Arthur Dayne chapter, who continues to prove being exceptionally retarded, what with his delusions about Targaryens. Ah well, suppose that is something men acquire upon entering the Kingsguard, for if they had no delusions, would they still stay sane? At least the latest batch with Aerys and Rhaegar.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Thinking of writing a HP cross, but cant seem to solve the main issue of if Harry has black hair why would Jon Arryn suspect anything? As surely having one black haired child and two blonde hair children wouldnt be enough to raise suspicion?

4. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

I am reading Dynasty of Wolves right now. It's another interesting concept, but the author seems to be rather impatient in the way he builds his story, and he tells rather than show, so everything just deflates like a poorly done souflé. Too little characterization and world-building. It's not that it's bad, mind you, it's just that it could be so much better.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What? Are you talking about making Harry the child of Robert and Cersei? And replacing Joffrey with him? I say that because you wrote 'two blonde hair children', which I presume to be Tommen and Myrcella.

The thing is, how would you make Cersei not abort Harry if she knew with surety that the child was Robert's and not Jaime's? Because that's what she did every time she found out she was pregnant and couldn't pin the child as Jaime's.

In any case, if Harry replaces Joffrey altogether, displacing him completely from existing, then Jon Arryn gives no fucks into looking into Cersei and her children. Or he might do it anyway, Varys might prompt him, indirectly, to do so.

6. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

You could write a story where he doesn't suspect anything, instead of just following canon.;)

7. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Was meant to type three, sorry.

Was gonna have him be the child from the show she claimed a "fever struck", I figured that would be my best option.

8. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Would that make him the oldest? If he is, that would make it largely irrelevant if Jon finds out about the other children or not.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Too much of modern jargon/idioms in it for me to properly enjoy the story.

And then there's the fact that Ned fought against Gregor Clegane and lived.

10. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

He fought Arthur Dayne in canon and won... Dayne was the best swordsman then .

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That was seven against three, not a one on one.

12. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Meh, I can see it happen. It's not like Gregor Clegane is invincible. I can suspend my disbelief as long as the author is able to make everything believable inside his own uiverse, and the author of Dynasty of Wolves hasn't managed that yet. He needs to detail his writing, IMO, and spend time submerging us in his story, rather than telling us what happens, which is what he's been doing up until now.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Oh right. Forgot they changed it to that in the show instead of having Cersei aborting every child of Robert's.

Well, how had you planned on writing this? Just following canon to an extent or will there be significant divergences? I'm assuming since Harry would be the eldest that Sansa would be his betrothed.

As you say, the story is all show and no substance. Everything just happens in the moment and that's it. I do wonder what's gonna happen to Balon Greyjoy. Could it be Ned is going to completely crush the Greyjoys? By that I would mean extermination. He is after all a new king and many will look upon what he does as a measuring stick.

14. Aggrocrag

Aggrocrag Second Year

15. thor2006

thor2006 First Year

Im looking for a fic where Jon Snow is looking like a Targ and because of that Edd sent him to Greywatter Watch to be raised hidden by Howland Reeds. Can someone help me,please?

16. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Sounds like another one of L_Cloudy's gazillion of fics.

out where the dreams all hide

“Your mother,” Lord Reed told Jon, firmly. “Was a whore.”
    Jon Snow has silvery hair, bright purple eyes, and no family. Or, hopefully something you’ve never read before. Pre-canon.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Surprisingly googling "jon greywater watch fanfic" found it pretty easily: Out Where All The Dreams Hide

edit: ninja'd

Gotta love to hate that Lyanna chapter.

Yeah, because the child's life won't be difficult as it is, made so by your actions, but he'd have to carry on the burden of your retarded expectations. Christ, I really want the bitch to live on and for Ned to resent her for her role in this.

18. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Even her dream her mother calls a fucking idiot , not directly of course

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

False. I guess you don't read So Spake Martin. x.

20. fire

fire Order Member

Does anyone else find it rather distasteful that quite a lot of ASOIAF fics are merely Stark fix-it fics?

Truthfully, for me, ASOIAF is one of those fandoms where the original story is so thematically complete, so well explored and so skilfully written that all the fanfiction I read of it pales in comparison.

The best fanfiction fandoms tend to be the ones with interesting worlds (e.g. HP, Naruto) in which many interesting stories can be written. When a series relies so much on good writing and authorial subtlety, as ASOIAF does, I don't think fanfiction is able to do the original series and its concepts justice.

Ash