1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Wait.

What Taure said isn't the opposite of what I said. If fact, I said the same (or meant to, at least). It's Ollivander's shop, the way it's Peter's cat. So either you say "they met in Ollivander's shop" or you say "they met at Ollivanders". The first is the possessive, the second is the shop name which just happens to be a (apostrophe-less) possessive. Had the shop been called "Wands & Staffs", they could still "meet in Ollivander's shop", but the alternative then would be "at Wands and Staffs".

Either is fine, I meant to suggest the latter as a way to avoid the supposed '-problem.

What isn't fine is "they met in Ollivanders shop". However, if the story was interesting enough, I wouldn't be pulled out of the immersion, I wouldn't even notice the mistake. That was what I meant -- if little things like that manage to jump out to me, the story is that boring, uninteresting or otherwise bad that the grammar mistake is the least of your worries.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Sesc/Taure.

I still have a few questions, but from your answers, I think I know how I want to proceed. I won't bother with the questions because at this point, Taure is right, it does get pretty trivial and you both put to rest my worry about immersion.

Learning what to and not to worry about when writing/editing is a real pain in the ass sometimes.

Thanks for your patience.

3. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

I'd rather read a fic where Harry gets his holly and phoenix feather wand in Ollivanders shop than one where he gets the Elder wand in Ollivander's shop.

4. DC

DC Groundskeeper

But that generally implies an extended shopping trip before he finally winds up in the wand shop. In which case, make for the hills fast.

5. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I'd read a story where Harry buys the Elder wand if it actually had a coherent explanation about how it came to be for sale.

6. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Dumbledore pawned it to help get some funds to sustain his cocaine habit in the mid-80's. Done.

7. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

This explains why the Drug Lord Voldemort wanted the DADA position : to sell pure coke to students. :sherlock:

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I was bored at work the other day and I had this thought; just how talented is Arthur Weasley? We never really see him doing much magic, but the one bit of magic we know he had a hand in is the Ford Anglia. He took a muggle car and made it capable of flight, modified to fit 8 people and their trunks and can it can turn invisible. Is he a hidden charms expert? Or - oh shit - the reason the Anglia became feral isn't because of the Forbidden Forest, but because the car is a container for Arthur Weasley's horcrux! That's right, he created Christine

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Didn't someone already post something like that before in the Plot Bunny thread? Whereas the death of Luna's mother served Arthur as the murder required for the creation of a Horcrux.

10. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I remember that, fucking amazing idea. The Horcrux in question was his flying car.

11. DC

DC Groundskeeper

So, do people who drop transfiguration after the OWLs never learn how to conjure stuff? I can understand how OWL level potions can get you through life - you can buy the stuff you need. But the ability to conjure remains a pretty handy trick.

12. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Enchanted Objects thread, actually:
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=715309#post715309

13. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

I had plans to work that into a short story. I'll hold that post open so I can remember to give credit.

14. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Sure, go ahead, I'm just glad I managed to come up with something people think is good.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

In theory, you just describe one of the few ways to save the HP economy. So it might be better if they didn't.

16. somehowsomwhere

somehowsomwhere First Year

Hi everyone, I've got a question: is there a way for a werewolf to avoid transformation?
    Maybe they can move to another side of the Earth for a night via magical transport and after dawn move back.
    Werewolves live on both sides of Earth at the same time,right?
    If they're not able to Apparate this far, then a network of international portkeys may be used(getting a permission is another problem).And according to wikia,at least English Ministry of Magic can't track the creation of unauthorised portkeys (" However, as demonstrated by Dumbledore and Barty Crouch Jr., the Ministry does not have the ability to detect the creation of such Portkeys.")
    Surely, it's exhausting to travel like this for several days every month, but it sounds like a good alternative to transforming.Overusing porkeys, at least in my opinion, is not lethal.
    I'm assuming that portkeys can't transport a person to another continent right away, which is debatable.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think werewolves in Harry Potter have their transformation triggered by literal moonbeams. Pretty sure it's just a monthly cycle, as it were. Break out PoA and see if there's any word on it in the relevant chapter.

18. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    IIRC, Lupin stepped out from the tunnel and into the light of the moon before he transformed.

But, if he could just lock himself away and not go through it, then why not do that, rather than build a house for him when he was a teenager, or make him take potions every month?

Maybe it's the difference between transforming in the mind, so that he's intellectually an animal during that time and would seek the moon, versus transforming physically when he does find it. But that's just a WAG. (no pun intended)

19. somehowsomwhere

somehowsomwhere First Year

Yeah, it was a false alarm: it appears that werewolves can transform in daylight too.

20. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

So that's why "Nose candy" was the password for the Gargoyle...

Meh. Never heard of it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
Not open for further replies.