1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

It's also in the DLP Misc WBA

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    In other news, An Imago of Rust and Crimson has updated. Very interesting chapter that introduces a wholly original take on the Slaughterhouse 9. I like it.

3. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Odd question, but has Sleeper's power ever been revealed or even hinted at? There's a new fic that features him and I was wondering if that was his actual power or something original.

The fic is Awaken, Sleeper.

4. Hello

Hello Professor

It is original, Sleeper's power was never stated, though Khepri thought she could take him with her power. She just did not think his power would be useful against Scion and as such it would be worthless to try when all his power would do is cause problems for the other people on her team. Just from the name I thought his power was some kind of forced coma power, get within a dozen miles and you go to sleep never to wake up again, which would be useless when trying to take on magic space whale.

5. Aekiel

High Score:
    Actually, we don't even have that much information all we have is the scene where Khepri opens a portal nearby and then says "Not worth it."

Interpretations of what this means are up for debate.

6. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

If I were to guess, some sort of uncontrollable super-Master power. Sort of like Ash Beast without the fire. I mean just imagine if everyone around you in a 1 mile radius fell into a coma when you came to town? It's also probably why he seems to like to keep to himself.

Also, it would explain how he subsumed a world. If he was camping within range of the portal, nobody is coming in or out.

8. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

This is kind of a a dumb post to make in this thread, but what are the top recommended Worm fanfics?

The reason I ask is because there's not much in the library and I've found it kind of difficult to sift through this thread for recommendations- it's very long and disorganized and there discussions about the current events in fics and I have to skim past them to avoid spoiling myself (I already spoiled something in one fic for myself accidentally).

I'm looking for the cream of the crop, not just the "Hey, here's a new fic with an interesting idea and 15k words so far" stuff- (which, by the nature of this thread, seems to be a lot of the recs and is part of why I've found sifting through this difficult).

I've read Cenotaph and all of it's sequel so far, and I've also read Bug on a Wire.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  9. theronin

theronin Order Member

Carnage is the best out there right now. A Cloudy Path is ok, but I have a sinking feeling that it's going to go off the deep end before long.

And that's basically it for things that are any decent length. Lots of people will probably recommend Silencio, but it got really stupid once the author decided to stop writing a worm fic and just write whatever random shit got suggested in the thread. Heredity and Nursing a Grudge are both promising but a bit short still.

And there's a bunch of pretty good one-shots if you don't mind reading those.

10. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

A cloudy Path, I'm not sure if its true for anyone else, but seems to be getting kinda boring.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Cenotaph and it's sequel are top of the fandom, hands down, and the only ones I'd unequivocally say were high quality.

Beyond that, there's a handful I'd recommend.

Manager is an interesting take on the whole alternate powers thing. Taylor's power is to manipulate shards via touch, and she ends up taking powers from other people, redistributing them, and using some of them for herself, ultimately culminating in becoming a Slenderman knock-off that haunts cape nightmares. This one is fairly well written, but it's incomplete and seems like it's well on its way to being abandoned.

The Techno Queen is a fun, lighthearted romp, where Taylor triggers with Silver Age comic book Tinker powers and decides to be the world's hammiest villain. The writing quality is mediocre, but it's so much fun that I can't help but give it a pass. It also just hit an update that may very well be the final one, though the author hasn't said one way or the other. It's a very good place to just call the story complete and be done with it at least.

Scarab is a crossover with Scion (read: urban fantasy exalted, basically). It's not very long and almost certainly abandoned, but the writing is excellent and there's a lot of big ripples that shook up the world pretty dramatically. It's just unfortunate that we'll probably never see it come through.

Go Gently is a 'crossover' with the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. The basic idea is that Danny triggered after Annette's death, Taylor moved into the apartment next door to Lung's, and things in Brockton Bay are beginning to get weird. The parts that are published so far are slice-of-life type stuff, with Taylor just being a kid, but pretty soon the story's gonna pick up the strange mix of banal normality and cosmic horror that makes Welcome to Night Vale so compelling.

12. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I'll second Go Gently. While manager was entertaining, it was in my opinion definitely not the cream of the crop. Ryuugi's work is probably one of the best if not the best.

Zenith

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/exalted-worm-zenith.292735/

Which is a crossover, Exalted, which I am not to famaliar with me but is very good regardless, focuses on Taylor getting some sort of power centering around Naruto's talk no jutsu. I kid, of course, but basically its sort of a in worm terms really high thinker rating? Along with minor shapeshifting abilities. It involves her trying to rebuild the world so to speak.

Here Be Dragons

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/worm-here-be-dragons-thread-ii.278221/

Essentially Taylor with Lung's powers, and of her ramping up after the locker incidents, and speculation that she might be the next endbringer.

All of these by the way are abandoned.

My last recommendation is Weaver 9

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/weaver-nine-worm-fanfic-au.289395/

Author appears to be taking a break from it as he has started another fic. Basically it has Jack and Taylor switch positions. Its a pretty big AU and is quite fascinating. I don't want to spoil anything, but highly impressed that the authors keeps Jack Slash as Jack Slash.

13. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Nematomorpha is the fic I feel is second to Cenotaph (and its sequel). Danny triggers with a tinker power. Interesting, non-action-y things happen.

14. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Weaver 9 and Cenotaph are the only longish Worm stories I'd call legitimately good. There's a ton of readable fics out there (as have been mentioned) but for the most part they're just beer and pretzels affairs.

Fucking Tinkers might be approaching legit status though.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    My top three are Cenotaph/Working Title, Weaver 9 and An Imago of Rust and Crimson. Nematomorpha comes in a very close fourth as well.

The thing is though, all four of them are very different stories. We've got Cenotaph for the Independent!Taylor plot line, Weaver 9 for the Alternate Villain background, Imago for creepy as shit horror and Nematomorpha for the non-Taylor POV fic of the year.

They're all pretty awesome, but they're awesome in very different ways, so I wouldn't really be able to choose between them for top spot.

16. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I've tried to get into Imago but it's just so slow. I have no idea what's going on. I might have to try it again now.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    It's still going pretty slow, but we're getting the hints at plot. Taylor has also started out on her attempt at heroism. She's looking to have a pretty powerful powerset, as is usual for Spacebattles, but this doesn't seem to be the type of setting that makes that much of an advantage.

18. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Quick question: Did Lung and Crawler have the same shard?

19. Aekiel

High Score:
    Not as far as I'm aware. They both came from different places (Japan for Lung, somewhere else for Crawler), I'm fairly sure they've never actually met and the powersets are pretty different when looked at conceptually.

Lung has the Escalation shard, which lets him rise to meet any challenge but de-powers him when there isn't anything to face. Crawler is pretty much the exact opposite of that; his power means that he will never be at a disadvantage twice. If I had to give his Shard a name I'd call it the Adaptation Shard, because it seems to be designed to let you adapt to anything the enemy throws at you, without taking that advantage away afterwards.

20. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Survivor is Born is turning out to be pretty good. It's written by our very own Heather Sinclair, a Lara Croft/Worm crossover.

Not open for further replies.