1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

This was suggested on the last page, but I think people missed it. I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

But Jesus Christ do I despise the reviews on that website. They seem to be enthusiastically suggesting every way the story could go horribly wrong.

2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Aye that and the power discussion.But well it is spacebattles whe are talking about, and filling up threads with pointless debates are something they are good at and it would not be SB without it.

3. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

SB: Where syed is the norm.

But yeah, ASiB is pretty enjoyable. Nothing amazing yet, but it's got potential.

Have there been any good Worm quests? I read the one Wildbow did and it was... lacking at best.

4. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Curse you for introducing me to Scarab. It was so good....and then just stopped.

That said, I heartily second the recommendation for Go Gently. Lung's interlude is so great.

5. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

What exactly is her power in a Survivor is born?

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

That pretty much sums up the fic thus far.

7. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

The author's deliberately being coy about it. So far, it seems to be a grab bag of various stuff that basically makes the game mechanics workable in the narrative. She has demonstrated low-level regeneration, a basic superstrength package, and a Tattletale-like ability to know most anything about weapons she picks up. There's also signs of a potential Tinker power (building/customizing modern-day-equivalent weapons in a cave, with a box of scraps) and an "area analysis" power that lets her intuit lines of fire, looming ambushes, etc.

There's a lot of debate about precisely what it is in the thread, because Spacebattles, and it's all various flavors of retarded, but a safe bet is that her power is "FPS Protagonist".

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I'm gonna guess that it allows her survive in whatever situation that she faces, just based off the title. Would be kind of boring of a super power.

9. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Main reason why I'm enjoying the story, no huge info dump explaining her powers. The writing is damn good as well.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

One of the things about this story is that it isn't a "Taylor gets a new and awesome crossover power and curbstomps every villain in Worm while making all the Heroes feel like children." She doesn't turn into a giant robot bigger than the Earth, and she doesn't have every single power that's offered by giant space whales.

This has been done over and over and over to death. I wanted to do something a little different. So she's got a more understated power in this one.

That's where you would be wrong. The title is simply the subtitle of the TR game where Taylor's trigger backstory started. While her power could be related to something Survival-like, that's not what it is.

There aren't any multi chapter 20k explanations about all her various levels and rankings and another 40k of munchkining her powerset.

It's a story about what happens to her after she gets back from Yamatai (TR backstory) and the PRT and Protectorate find out that she's basically killed 400+ people and a S-class threat parahuman in the process. how did she do it? Is Brockton Bay in for a massive blood bath? Can we get her in the Wards so we can control her?

Everyone wants a piece of her partly because they don't know what she can do and partly because everyone seems terrified of what she might do even though she's just chillin'.

A junior PRT officer that saw the first official report from the island nicknamed her "Killdozer" and word of mouth took it from there.

So... there you go. It's not a Capes and Robbers story.

Edit: oh and the edited version is over on Fanfiction.net if you prefer to read it without the eyestrain of Spacebattles.

11. Dellez

Dellez Seventh Year

Speaking of that particular neurosis...
    Heels over Head
    I found this story a while ago, and it's 20 chapters of everyone saying how awesome Taylor's power is, then testing it out just to see if it's even more awesome. And it is. And when Taylor finally goes out into the field, she immediately converts 3 villains into heroes, or at least rogues. Sigh. No conflict is allowed to happen. Maybe all these kinds of stories are crack, and I just don't realize it.

Also, there's now Stormborn, which has the exact same premise as A Survivor is Born. It's not as engaging as A Survivor is Born, but it exists.

12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Go Gently has updated and Shit. Is. Going. Down.

This is the first time we get to see Taylor's radio show happen and it's just as creepily awesome as Welcome to Night Vale.

13. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

It's a single chapter in and hasn't had a chance to do anything. Give it a chance to grow a little before chopping it down.

When the Tomb Raider idea came up on SB there were a number of different paths suggested, a few shorts presented and so forth. A few of them were good ideas, using the same general backstory and then branching off in a totally different direction. I wouldn't exactly call it the same as of yet. ;)

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fics on Spacebattles tend to evolve from challenges/plot bunnies rather than as individual ideas, or so I gather from the Worm thread over there. Makes for a lot of similar basis fics showing up at the same time, each going in their own different direction.

I quite like it since it means there's more chance for a decent idea to be taken up by a decent author, but then it has to enter the realm of regular Spacebattles.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Yeah, I've got no real idea what you're planning for ASIB, but Stormborn's gonna be of a decidedly lower key than what you've got up so far.

My plans don't really fit the kind of thing you'd typically expect to find on Spacebattles, given that there isn't an on-screen cape fight scheduled for another 30ish chapters. I'm very much planning on a more character-focused, thematic and psychological/philosophical story than getting action beats all up in there.

16. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

30 chapters without a cape fight! Guh, what are you going to do give us meaningful character development and worldbuilding? I demand fights and munchkining and flandrisation.

17. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Head over Heels, was less then spectacular to say the least, Go Gently, on the other hand, is getting more and more awesome with each update, in my opinion.

18. theronin

theronin Order Member

Was HoH the one wear the author used some pho post to expound on his shitty views about AIs by having taylor argue with saint? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was pretty fucking awful.

19. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Uhh, it has Taylor, having the opposite of everyone's power in a radius, which was pretty good concept in my opinion, it was just so... boring, and the righting wasn't very good.

20. Creticus

Creticus First Year

No, I think that was Up In the Air, the one with the Final Fantasy dragoon power.

Not open for further replies.