1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

For me:

No Echidna.

Legend/Armsmaster come speak to Taylor before she can break out after the Leviathan fight.
    They offer her a place on the wards, she accepts and ...
    Problems with Tattletale, Sophia and Coil. Problems keeping the peace and guarding supplies in a post- Leviathan BB. Armsmaster doesn't get outed. (Or does he?)

Leviathan comes a few hours later and Taylor has already turned on the Undersiders and Coil. Ditto, just that the Undersiders are more fucked.

Theo actually kills Jack when Jack comes to speak with him. There's a gun lying around, Jacks focused on Purity and Purity has enough power left to eviscerate him or something.

Alexandria doesn't drive Taylor over the edge, but actually succeeds in capturing all of the Undersiders (barring Imp).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

A lot of people just don't feel the need to come up with a different trigger event, though I do think the need to go into detail on the event is a bit annoying unless they're somehow explaining a divergence.

More importantly though, if the author decides that Taylor is to receive a different shard than the one she gets in canon, then it's perfectly reasonable to assume a completely different power set since what powers manifest are much more dependent on the shard (or shard parts, as is the case for most Cauldron customers) than the circumstances of the trigger.

The trigger event just influences how that shard's function manifests into a power for the recipient.

3. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Unrelated, but I've always wondered if triggers could effect the manifested shards in non-lateral ways. Using Taylor as an example, if she triggered with a similar but less traumatic trigger, would she have the same range/control for her bugs, or would it start out less so? If she was put in a more stressful situation, would she start out being able to hear/see through her bugs as well?

What if she were to have had the Most Stressful trigger? Would her shard have skipped bugs entirely and jumped straight to parahumans? I'd be curious to see just how much sway a trigger event holds over the manifestation of a shard.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The shard holds a conceptual power that manifests based on the host and the trigger event. There's a WoG that goes through the ways Noelle's shard manifested in testing.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

According to Wildbow, Trigger events in and of themselves have very little to do with the power granted. The power is defined primarily by the shard, then by the host's physiology and temperament, and only then by the trigger event.

In Taylor's particular case, she got her powers because a) Queen Admin, b) she was lonely and isolated and in desperate need of someone on her side, and c) she was covered in bugs during her trigger. If her trigger event had been closer to, say, Emma selling her to the Merchants and she was being held captive by Skidmark and Squealer, I could easily see her going Khepri right from the beginning. I mean, she probably wouldn't, because at that point Taylor would be more concerned about the druggy capes than feeling lonely, but it's within the realm of possibility.

6. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Got a link? I'd like to read about Noelle's shard.

7. fire

fire Order Member

AU: Taylor was born in the 1970s.

You can let her be a one of the first superheroes active during the Golden Age - you can give her Eidolon's shard - hell, let her be the one who, while on a camping trip, met Doctor Mother, killed Eden, and founded Cauldron.

The possibilities are limited only by authors' imaginations - which says something about the stuff Spacebattles churns out, I suppose.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. Scytale

Scytale First Year

I started to write a story about an orphaned Taylor- however I had Danny's death happen in the school holidays before the locker, this would have been the cause of Taylor's trigger.

The idea was to have Taylor living as an emancipated minor in an apartment close to the college meeting her neighbour Sabah for the first time. I wanted to explore the two characters at pretty low places in their lives just after they had both triggered beginning to develop a friendship (I think it's reasonable to assume Sabah and Taylor both triggered around same time if I read the Parian interlude correctly) .

Interspersed with this would have been Taylor weaving her costume and beginning her tentative steps towards becoming a cape. I wanted to show the effect having a friend would have had on Taylor's self worth and confidence and thus how she would have approached her school, the bullying and being a hero.

There would have been some ironic humour in places since neither Taylor nor Sabah would have known that the other person was a parahuman as well. It was not intended to be a romantic story, purely a friend relationship between the two.

I have about 6000 words written but I ran into the same problem mentioned a couple of page ago in this thread I kind of plotted out the beginning of the story and a few scenes later on but I'm struggling with the middle - how to get from the beginning to where I want to end up. The other problem is by design it would be a very slow piece of writing mainly focusing on character development so there would not have been many fights or action scenes. I kind of get the impression angsty orphan!Taylor is not really what people would be interested in reading. But the idea is still floating around and it is something I might come back to later.

10. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

That is because most people are stupid and want to read Taylor making friends with The Undersiders again. For the people here, not only are you wrong about saying we don't want to read it, it doesn't matter what we think. If you want to write it, write it.

11. Scytale

Scytale First Year

Well if I get a chance I will try to tidy up what I've written so far over the weekend and stick it up somewhere for people to judge for themselves I guess.

12. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

13. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Fucking kindle, and its fucking auto correct.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  14. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Are there any fics out there where Marquis isn't captured and sent to the Birdcage? Him still around as a major power in addition to raising Amy/Amelia would definitely cause a major divergence from canon.

15. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I seem to remember that only reason Brocton Bay went into decline with gang violence and stuff was because Marquis was taken down right? Lung and Merchants at least should be newer additions. Though I'm not so sure about Kaiser.

16. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I thought it was the shipping drying up?

17. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

If I remember right, it was a combination of a number of things.

1. Taylor doesn't answer her mother's call when she's at Emma's house. Annette dies in car crash.

2. Danny goes into a depression and wants to lash out so starts a labor strike.

3. There was some sort of labor strike, the Dockworkers Union wound up trashing some ships and inadvertently created the Boat Graveyard insuring that they were screwed for jobs in the future.

4. This created an economic downturn for the city resulting in a number of the Dockworkers joining gangs to earn money.

5. Allfather and Marquis got into a pissing war, also involving New Wave. Everyone lost.

6. Lung moved in.

7. More gangs were created (Merchants, ABB, et al) Gangs took over and the Protectorate ENE got overwhelmed.

8. Taylor triggers and causes even more chaos, which ends with Leviathan visiting.

9. Worm Canon happens.

10. Earth Bet virtually destroyed.

So, basically we can lay virtually all the blame on Taylor for not answering a phone call. o_O :nyan:

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Pretty sure the scuttling happened way before Ann died.

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Pretty sure, my post was a joke.

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Not open for further replies.