1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Feoffic, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome. It's been really fun making these so far! I've discovered video editing is some sort of guilty pleasure of mine.

I'm using D3DGear for recording; it's actually a great piece of software and records really high quality, low file size videos and doesn't affect the performance of the game very much, and gives you options to record the game audio and your mic in separate audio tracks.

But I wouldn't recommend it if you're using Sony Vegas like me; I've had a bunch of problems with the audio and video messing up when imported into the video editor when using AVI so I've been forced to use WMV instead which messes up the split audio.

I'm fairly comfortable with what I'm working with right now and trying to find a way to fix it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless your only alternative is fraps. I've done fraps: don't go there. It's shit and your hard drive will cry.

As for talking; it's a practice thing. I had a stint where I tried to record some videos a year or so ago, which I never put up anywhere. It's super awkward to talk to yourself at first, and you've kinda gotta force yourself through it. Don't let it get quiet for too long - that's even more awkward for the people watching you. I started by writing myself little loose scripts where I bullet out my talking points like a presentation to make sure I could keep talking.

I don't have too much experience obviously, but I've watched enough people to understand how cringey it is when someone sounds like they don't want to be there. If you get frustrated, it's way better to walk away and pick it up again later. Make sure you're enjoying yourself, or it'll show.

And lastly, don't underestimate mic quality. I bought a cheap USB condenser mic and a pop filter for about fifty quid and the quality compared to the headset mic I was using before is astounding. You don't have to worry about this, but I've found that bad mics do not treat female voices nicely!

Edit:

I used to be really quiet too until I pushed myself! I think my first inkling that I'd enjoy doing something like this was that when we had to give presentations in front of the class at school I'd be secretly enjoying rambling on about something I've researched while everyone else was freaking out.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

So Minecraft is being bought by Microsoft. Drama is everywhere, people are losing their shit, modders are quitting outright, content creators are hoping they won't be suddenly out of a job due to MS's policies...

What do you guys think about this? Gotta say, I'm nervous.

Apparently Microsoft plan to be breaking even in less than a year. So no matter how you look at it, big changes are coming.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

I think the two will be a good fit, and will do very well together.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't tell if sarcasm or truly genuine.

Either way I'm not particularly enthused by this. Microsoft isn't as bad as, say, EA but it's still nothing spectacular. One of the reasons Minecraft became so popular is because Notch (and Mojang in general) is very involved in the community and knows what they want. Microsoft lacks that and has done for a long time now, so even as a casual minecrafter I'm wary of what this will mean.

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As I am Microsoft's official representative on this forum, you may send your credit card details to me directly, and I'll get you signed up to your deluxe Minecraft package quickly. As a special signing bonus, we're doing a bargain one thousand blocks to the dollar! Or for just $19.99 you can unlock our "Youtube" DLC.

We also bought Youtube. And Google. And Scotland.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This is some terrible, alternate universe I've woken up to.

What's next, Disney buying Harry Potter?

7. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

So, anybody have a working server up? I've kinda fallen back in love with Vanilla Minecraft, and I wouldn't mind having some other people to play with again.

Side Note: Elder Guardians are cunts

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I have a minecraft realm up, but my friends and I aren't playing much. If you could send me your username via pm, I'd be happy to invite you to the server. It's vanilla. As long as you don't break stuff people have already built, there's nothing much in terms of rules. The spawn point is beside a little shack which you can use to start with.

9. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Man, I played Minecraft intensely for a few months, and then it started feeling really lonely and I stopped. Servers were always super laggy for me.

I played with my little sister long ago and got her hooked, she still plays obsessively to this day. She was actually a lot of fun to play with.

Sigh. I might go dig up my login information and try it out again.

10. Gwyll

Gwyll Sixth Year

By the way, anyone has experience with either Agrarian Skies or Terrafirmacraft? Played both, but after a while they get boring alone.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm currently owning a minecraft realm with a survival map. However, a friend and I want to play both mode (creative and survival). As such, I'm going to switch to a mod supported hosting services to have the multiverse mod, allowing us to switch between those two mods/map without any problem.

I was wondering, would there be anyone interested in joining us? It would be my pleasure to allow any of you guys to be part of our server. But I'd like to know very soon so I can take the appropriate service to have a smooth playing experience; as well as discuss what can of mod you'd like for the survival/creative maps.

So, what mod would you like to see?

Since our creative map will be a middle age theme, we're going with a resources pack that represents that. Keep that in mind while suggesting mod :)

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    I wouldn't mind being whitelisted. Been a while since I played Minecraft but I've gained a large amount of free time lately and have little to fill it with.

Mods wise I'm always a fan of the Feed the Beast packs, but if you want to just mod vanilla Minecraft I'm good with that too.

13. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'd like to keep our current survival map which is pure vanilla 1.8 As such any mods which would add new blocks would not spawn said block in the already explored area (just keep that in mind).

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I lack knowledge on any mods besides some FTB packs. I'd love to get in on this though. The server I was on kind of died :/

15. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Cool. I lack knowledge of any FTB pack, is there one in particular you guys would want?

16. Aekiel

High Score:
    There are a few options for FTB packs. The Horizons pack was new when I stopped playing so I wouldn't mind checking that out. Might have more bugs than the more established packs though.

The Direwolf20 pack is generally awesome, but it's in public beta at the moment so bugs are to be expected. I'd suggest this above the rest of the modpacks available at the moment because it works the majority of the time and has a nice mix of magic and industry mods.

That said, I haven't played in ages so there may be better packs out there.

17. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I love me some MC. The server we had for DLP was awesome, but after a few days or weeks a couple of serious bugs made it completely unplayable. If you want FTB, I suggest avoiding the latest version and instead try 1.5 or 1.6, which appear to be more stable for multiplayer.

18. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I have a lot of people already playing on my current server asking for a 1.8 vanilla survival. It might end up being that. Would you guys still be interested in that?

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why not just keep the realm then? that allows for vanilla survival, and it's actually run by Mojang, which I feel makes it more stable than servers. As long as you want vanilla minecraft.

20. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

So I was exploring Basailisk's realm and found two underwater fortresses, first at X=1760, Y=62 Z=1884 and another at X=22 Y=62 Z=1383. If anyones down to try and raid em I'm usually on late night PST.