1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Five Guys Shit Storm...

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

No ads mean I wont be bothered by irritating nonsense when I browse the internet.

2. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

oddly enough it seems to be usually very good games that blatantly pay for reviews and distort for good coverage. Rockstar does a shit tonne of it, and I think they've only released one game in their history that was anything less than excellent. Gotta protect the investment I guess.

3. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

If you care Erik Kain of Forbes, Greg Tito of the escapist, Janelle Bonanno of GameFront and Totalbiscuit are talking about GamerGate at the moment. Link.

4. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do his employers care if he's a dickhead?

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

The Verge has a piece on Gamergate. A "what is Gamergate" piece. Seeing that the site shares a parent company with Polygon, I'm not too sure what to make of it. It mostly just touches on the controversy, and just seems to be a good way for people who don't care much to get their feet wet.

Link - http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/6/6901013/whats-happening-in-gamergate

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  7. Cruentus

I've seen it, GG supporters think it's an attempt to draw attention.

8. theronin

theronin Order Member

9. Cruentus

Dunno, I'm guessing it was found when somebody went skeleton hunting.

Still a pretty dickish thing to do.

10. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

That made me laugh. A lot. Also, the guy blaming SJW for the lack of good JRPGs. Really? And they discussed how much restarting something like GG without the assholes and only constructive people is a retarded idea. You want 'clean' journalism, but aren't willing to make an effort on your part. Lovely.

But I found out about C.H. Sommers, and she has some interesting ideas. I dislike self-rightous pedantic liberal as much as I dislike Republicans (the normal ones, I barely consider the more extreme ones human).

11. Cruentus

12. Gengar

High Score:
    That post read like a thirteen year old girl's diary, jesus.

Like, it had no, like, brain to, like, finger filter. Like. I mean, like, what?

13. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

God damn it. I just can't resist.

This.

This right here, is why.

This is why the vaunted ~SJWs~ are able to so easily dismiss so much of the GG conversation. This is why I, personally, take no part.

Lemmings think that any article agreeing with them is good, even if it's absolute spit-laden drivel that does nothing but strengthen the argument that GG really is all about Zoe Quinn or "sticking it to the SJWs".

Two things about this:

One, Shadow of Mordor is legitimately excellent by plenty of accounts, yt and otherwise. Which makes this all the more mind-bogglingly insane.

Second, you aren't even close to representing the reality of the situation. If you wanted to get a review copy of the game for a yt review, you literally had to agree to a brand deal that stipulated exactly what kind of coverage and amount of coverage to give the game as well as the tone of the coverage.

If you didn't agree to the deal, not only did you not get a review copy, but it appears your video of the game you bought on release date got a lovely content ID claim courtesy of WB.

Yeah.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

This is why I can't take anything related to Gamergate seriously. For a movement supposedly mad about journalism, it spends a lot of time complaining about SJW's and strawmen. MOST of what comes out of it is some combination of sexist, paranoid, and conspiratorial – case in point, the Five Guys video that kickstarted this whole shindig. It is an easy target.

At his point, the whole Gamergate thing is on the same level as Chemtrails or Birthers.

A lot of the flak being directed at (middling) op-eds by Gamergate is focused on the subject-matter. They are writing about the same broad subjects that journalism for books, movies, comics, and other forms of media do; if anything, the quality of the writing is what people should be getting angry about, not the subject matter.
    This, and similar practices, is what people should be getting angry about. Thanks for clarifying what was going on.

15. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shadow of Mordor IS a legitimately good game. But it has the Mass Effect 3 problem, an incredibly disappointing/shitty ending. That alone is worth knocking it down from 9/10 to 8/10 ish.

Aurion's right about everything else, though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  16. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

17. Cruentus

It seems that there is a bit of paranoia going around about splitting focus right now and also tackling the SoM thing. Specifically there are a lot of people who seem afraid that if GG takes this on it will help draw attention away from the other targets.

I think Erick Kain is right and that this needs to be looked at as well, but I'm just one guy.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

He sounds like a decent dude and someone I wouldn't mind being a coworker.

19. Cruentus

There's also IA's vid about it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfDNZXU79Tg

He does have a point. At no time have I ever seen TB or any youtube reviewer claim to be a journalist or that they adhered to that code of ethics.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I don't use most of the bogey sites at the center of the debate here, but the ones I do use specifically don't call themselves journalists.