1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Only my sarcasm is canon, nothing more (did you forget, what parantheses even do?)

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Edit: ... I feel like banning half the thread again. We already had one page of retarded discussion over a misunderstanding. I swear the next one to comment on stuff that has zero relation to almost recommended stories gets a kick. Use PMs or visitor messages for that stuff, ffs >.<

Yes, I would certainly hope so. And the same thing will happen these days to any other pairing. Point me any recent story that is shit but has made it into the library because they had <insert favourite pairing>. If anyone tries to libraryfy the latest ice-queen-Daphne story, I dump it in the trash and be done with it.

And as far as Phoenix and Serpent goes, that is a massive AU. Leaving aside that it hasn't been updated in forever, that seems at least as likely a reason for less interest as the pairing.

Finally, personal taste is personal taste -- I'm not touching any H/Hr either, so I assume there are people who have the same dislike for Canon-Ginny I have for Hermione. Fair enough in either case -- and even more so, if H/G implies Canon-ish stories, which simply miss the field of interest of many here (and the characterisation, as I said).

3. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

They do... MAGIC!! :nyan::nyan::nyan:

4. gbbz

gbbz Professor

It starts promising but quickly turns disappointing. Though it has some interesting ideas and a nice whimsical approach, it soon becomes too detached from HP canon and goes into the realms of lunacy (and not of the nice Luna type). I was really let down when after suffering from a lot this fic can dish out I found out that

Voldemort became evil because he lost his his soul-bond partner, the so called "bad vibrations" caused him to go insane

I would rate it a solid 2/5 and nothing much more than that.

5. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

Just as I feared. I was hoping that
    Voldemort tried to break or use a different couple's soul bond in such a way that it backfired, causing the 'bad vibrations.' Giving Tom Riddle a broken soul bond just seems uninventive.

6. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The story was missing key scenes, leaving primary points of conflict (Harry vs. family, Harry vs. his own feelings of disappointment with same, family vs. Daphne, etc.) unresolved. This is why the takeaway from the novella-length one-shot is a sense of incompleteness.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

One of the best series out there is H/G. It was written 9 years ago now, but it's still really great. The fact that it made it to the library at all during a time of massive ginny-hate should speak volumes. https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=9478 . Some people have an irrevocable hatred of anything involving her, but this story is truly one of a kind and if you can get past your preconceived notions and disengage the tunnel-vison, then you'd probably be able to enjoy it. I feel like if the story was freshly posted, it would garner a lot better ratings than it did back then, but what's done is done.

8. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Pers pretty much hits the nail on the head here. Negligentia isn't a bad fic, really. It just ends too abruptly. It feels like it's building toward some sort of climax that never comes. The writing is technically fine, and what's there is good. It just doesn't finish what it started. As it stands, I think this thread is the appropriate place for it.

9. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Colin is a fanboy, and Ginny would've acted the same way had the circumstances been different. However the first time Ginny meets Harry is at Kings Cross prior to his first year at Hogwarts. Ginny was with her brothers and mother at the time so it's likely she showed some restraint when she first met him. Then prior to her first year Harry spent the better part of the summer living at their house. During this time she gets used to his presence and vents by telling a Horcrux how much she loved Harry Potter and she spills so much said Horcrux starts to possess her and she tries to kill muggleborns. Chamber of Secrets is basically a book about how Ginny's obsession with Harry nearly led to the resurrection of Voldemort (and yet he marries this psycho and names one of his kids after Snape).

Seriously if Ginny hadn't acted like a fangirl Harry's second year would've been dedicated to Quidditch and his developing crush on Katie Bell.

The Creevey's, on the other hand stalked Harry but had a background role, at best, in the series. Ginny had a lot of time to get used to Harry's presence and still acted like a fangirl.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    By: lucky14now
    After the fall of Voldemort members of the Black family reunite to protect their children and charges. Together they will restore the Ancient and Noble House of Black while preparing for the return of a foe. Clarification: Harry and Draco have been aged to Viktor's age.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Family - [Harry P., Fleur D.] Draco M., Viktor K. - Chapters: 10 - Words: 118,040 - Reviews: 435 - Favs: 1,193 - Follows: 1,692 - Updated: Oct 12 - Published: Dec 19, 2013 - id: 9939304

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9939304/1/Si-Vis-Pacem-Para-Bellum

It's an okay time waster. Basically it's a lot of cliches thrown together. I'm throwing it here because while the writing is average and there are a ton of cliches, it does take place at Durmstrang, and personally I'll read just about any story that takes place at a school other than Hogwarts.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  10. Stan

Stan Order Member

Any HG story added to the library in the years 2005-2010 should automatically a +1 in rating considering the massive amount of Ginny hate that existed back then.

As for the Death Gate series, could I get a few extra opinions? There seem to be very few replies in the thread other than "Oh No, it's Ginny!" and I need a few recommendations before starting a trilogy containing over a million words.

11. Sesc

No, it shouldn't. This is the same discussion as "every old story should get a -1 b/c the standards were lower". It is what it is. There's no way to correct it without revoting from scratch, and whether stories would come out ahead by the simple fact of being H/G I severely doubt.

And now what are you on regarding the Death Gate trilogy? There's exactly one review in there that could fit "Oh No, it's Ginny!" (which even got a appropriate reply), and quite a few of long and thoughtful comments. The stories are characterised very well there.

Hail Odysseus by Brennus
    After believing that Harry Potter died in a house fire at the age of ten, the Wizarding world is shocked when he emerges, out of the blue, just in time to attend his seventh year at Hogwarts. They're even more shocked when he's Sorted into Slytherin.
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Adventure - Chapters: 10 - Words: 90,755 - Reviews: 387 - Favs: 429 - Follows: 689 - Updated: Oct 13 - Published: Aug 25 - [Harry P., Ginny W.]

Slightly better than shit (your usual annoying bashing etc.). However, mildly amusing if you are in the mood to read about Harry roflstomping the in-story idiots (Malfoy), and hilarious if your sense of humour extends to out-of-the-blue ... well. Spoiler. Find out yourself XD

Oh, and Ginny is in Slytherin.

Somewhere between 2/5 and LOL/5.

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

Fair enough... it would be retarded if we randomly increased the ratings of stories. I meant that I automatically add +1 in my head to the rating of any HG fanfic that made it to the library in 2005-2010. Considering the number of "Ginny=Auto-fail!" voters that must have existed back then, I don't think it is unreasonable to do so.

As for the Death Gate trilogy, it is a million words. I am reluctant to start reading such an old fic (As a rule, I don't touch anything written before 2007 unless highly recc'd) without a couple of present-day recommendations. How does it hold up now?

Sounds similar to the Thorny Rose series by the same author. Slytherin Ginny sounds interesting. I might just give it a read.

13. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only reason I didn't suggest that here was because of my little bitch over in Pet Peeves a few weeks back. I hate that the author turned every male in Slytherin (except Harry of course) into a rapist.

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

Ah, thank you. I almost started reading the story. You think Sesc would have mentioned that little detail.

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story is funny in a dark way and I enjoy reading it if I don't think about all the rapists who somehow all get away with it despite how open they are about it.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I'm going for LOL/5, mostly because of that scene with Harry and Ginny in the forest.

17. Sesc

Wat. If you go looking for problems, every male in Slytherin being a rapist is one of the least ones in that story o_O

As for the Death Gate trilogy, I haven't read it recently, so I couldn't say. I know that the criticisms of the slightly longwinded first part are valid, but beyond that, it's still great in my head. I kinda doubt anyone here has read it recently, but if you decide to try, feel free to leave a comment in the thread.

18. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

And yes, making Slytherin into some kinda Hogwartian "Gor" blows, too.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I have read it recently, so that's sort of why I'm re-reccing it. The first time I read it was about 6 years ago, and it's just as engaging now as it was then, and if anyone knows me at all, I rarely recommend anything, and am pretty open about stories that I think are shit. It's hardly the normal ffn drabble and canon rehashes that endlessly plague us. It's a genuinely interesting and well written adventure/mystery, and since it is a million words, you know it's not going to be a rush job.

20. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Ugh, no.
    /10char

Not open for further replies.