1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play Civilization: Beyond Earth

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Tehan, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

It seems the Conclave is set on the destruction of BMC, whether by economic isolation or force of arms. At this time those calling for war have the majority. I will begin preparations for war, but should the vote swing once more the preparations could be put back on hold.

---------- Post automerged at 06:40 ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 ----------

Year 24: Poytin and his exosuit have completed the construction of the fiber plantation to the south-west, and the increase in the harvest of the silk fibers has already boosted our construction efforts. He has assured us that the experience was 'awesome'. Upon receiving his orders to move to the wets of Blackbird Claw and begin herding the dog-beetles, he declared this 'substantially less awesome'.

Recordings of an exosuit chasing giant beetles is already a massive hit on movie night.

[​IMG]

Year 25: Aekiel's exploration team has found what remains of a crashed satellite. The investigation of the site could prove extremely fruitful, if they had the resources to perform such an investigation. The location of the wreckage has been marked for future study, and Aekiel's team will instead be investigating still another resource pod.

[​IMG]

Coyote's squad has been returned to full combat effectiveness, and a second team of soldiers will soon be ready for deployment. Coyote has lead his men to the west to scout the position of the alien threat.

Year 26: The resource pod contained more scientific equipment, to the delight of our science team.

Groundwork has begun on a trade depot, though it will be suspended once our research into Physics is completed to begin the recruitment and equipping of the seige engineers.

Year 29: The alien numbers are swelling, and they are creeping ever closer to Blackbird Claw. The commencement of hostilies against the alien threat may have to wait until we have artillery support, though General Coyote remains vigilant for an opportunity to pick off any stragglers without beginning all-out war with the aliens.

[​IMG]

Engineer Poytin has finished herding the majority of the dog-beetle population into paddocks fenced off by ultrasonic emitters, similar to the ones used back on Earth. The effectiveness of this technology on local fauna raises interesting prospects, but further research will be needed before we can deploy this on a larger scale.

Poytin has, to his relief, been deployed to build a proper plantation for the large swaths of Earth fruits we allowed to grow feral to the north-east.

[​IMG]

Year 30: The culture of our colony has continued to develop, and we have used our influence upon it to make work as an apprentice in the science labs a rite of passage for young colonists. Needless to say, this will assist our scientific endeavours.

Recruitment of the siege engineers, dubbed 'rangers', has begun. Our science team has begun to look into the problem of oceanic navigation, and as such our exploration team has begun to move back to the isthmus in preparation for a recovery team to meet them.

General Coyote has left the western front in the hands of Fireteam Bravo, and is moving to the north to deliver said equipment and scout out BMC for assault.

Year 31: Another faction has made planetfall.

[​IMG]

We once had close ties with Brasilia, but our selection of the PAC as our partners in this endeavour cooled relationsh somewhat. Nevertheless, I believe a reasonable foundation for friendship continues to exist.

Year 35: We have been contacted by a group that made groundfall with Brasilia called the Culper Cell. We've worked with them back on Earth, and they tend to be as good as their word, though their true motives are murky. They have made us an offer - access to our espionage infrastructure once it exists in exchange for them becoming the core of our intelligence agency. As experienced as they are, this will be a huge boon for us.

The plantation up the coast has been completed, and our citizens are delighted at the tastes of home it is bringing to them. Engineer Poytin is significantly less delighted, as he has been sent to build further paddocks for the dog-beetle population north of the plantations.

The recruitment of the Ranger team has finished, and they are being sent north towards BMC now.

[​IMG]

This will be the last opportunity for the Conclave to swing the vote against the destruction of the BMC - should they do so, the rangers will be deployed against the growing alien threat instead. However, as distasteful as it may sound, letting the BMC wither on it's own will not allow us to... secure their equipment.

Our scientists estimate the completion of oceanic travel research within the year, and after that the completion of our work into Engineering will take only another two, so our science team will soon need further direction. I have provided the following broad options for your selection that I feel will be particularly beneficial, though any input outside of these will of course be considered:

[​IMG]

1) Computing - the Culper Cell's offer is tempting, and being the first to establish an intelligence infrastructure would be a huge advantage. This would also allow us to build a successor to ARPANET to advance our research, though I feel I must remind the Conclave that the science team's requested laboratory expansion has yet to begin.

2) Genetics, then Alien Sciences - Coyote's team sent back samples of what we initially assumed was a great swamp to our west. Research has shown it to be something very different.

While worrying, the fauna there seems limited to small, harmless insects, unlike the one further west that the nest was grown around. It also offers a potentially vast resource, both as a subject for research and as a naturally-occuring biofuel - although it would be difficult for us to develop the technology to put it to use in time to solve our short-term energy woes.

3) Genetics, then alien lifeforms - the dubstep remix of Yakkety Sax overlayed with a sped-up version of Engineer Poytin chasing dog-beetles in his exosuit has been the greatest fount of goodwill we've had since we literally saved the human race. We should tap into this. If we can breed a naturally obedient version of the dog-beetle, adoption of them would turn the paddocks into a font of goodwill as well as food and resources - and allow the future construction of a zoo to magnify this even further.

Finally, there is the matter of construction. The Blackbird Claw's engines are at capacity, and the completion of the trade depot will begin eating into our reserves. As such, if the next major construction is not the Thorium Reactor, Poytin will be diverted from herding bugs (to the dismay of our populace) to construct generators on available land. Here are the options:

Thorium Reactor - a boost to energy.
    Recycler - a boost to production.
    Laboratory - a boost to science.
    Old Earth Relic - a boost to culture.
    Colonist - can build a new colony.
    Explorer - the lands to the north have proven more vast then we anticipated, and the south is still relatively unexplored.

Please note that construction of a colonist will effectively put our population growth on hold for the duration of construction - at current levels, about fifteen years - as people prepare to leave behind Blackbird Claw. The improvement of our construction facilities the trade depot offers, and the Recycler if the conclave opts to build it, will decrease this time.

Addendum: Edited the construction options, had a brainfart and forgot generators were a thing :facepalm

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  2. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Yeah, I'm going to say we need to definitely kill the aliens, and get that lab. After the Laboratory, I'd say the Recycler or the Earth Relic and then the other with the Colonist saved until we have a bigger population.

Edit: well with the addition of the other choices, Thorium Reactor is now first and explorer is next to last with Colonist still last.

3. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I neutered my previous post, including the satellite portion, even though it was just chatter. Enjoy

4. Tehan

<3

Current map of the world as we know it.

Top half of our continent:
    [​IMG]

Bottom half:
    [​IMG]

Fully zoomed out, showing Franco-Iberia:
    [​IMG]

The Franco-Iberian capital may share a land mass with us, but my gut says it probably doesn't.

Edit: Construction times as of this turn:

[​IMG]

These will all go down as the following happens:

1) The trade depot is completes in two turns
    2) The population increases in three turns
    3) Poytin finishes the beetle paddock in five turns
    4) Poytin's next task will be to build a mine, eta ~twelve turns

If the thread decides to build a Recycler, that will also reduce construction times.

All of this information was requested by Aekiel on Steam - if anyone wants clarification on something, feel free to hit me up on Steam, in the thread, or by PM.

5. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

I'm going to call for pressing the attack on BMC. We can sweep SW and hit the aliens after we've regrouped from that. While BMC might fail due to lack of funds, our troops are... woefully lacking in experience, and this is a prime opportunity to give them some target practice.

I'm also going to call for a study of Genetics, followed by Alien Lifeforms. We are, after all, XCOM. I'd also say we should build a Thorium Reactor as soon as possible.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Research: Ecology
    Build: Old Earth Relic
    Second Build: Explorer
    Improvements: Generators
    Kill: Aliums

We can't ignore the aliens any longer. Banu Musa will have to wait, one way or the other, otherwise we risk being overrun by bugs. Even if they are mostly benign at this stage, they will still attack workers and prevent our citizens from working in sectors they inhabit.

That said, we have military enough to combat these aliens without undue risk. If we take a containment approach and prioritise destroying the Manticores so that we can lure them into the open ground south of the canyon we should be able to whittle them down over the course of years until we are able to push forward and destroy the nest.

While this is ongoing we should be prioritising our energy shortage through an aggressive use of generators. While the sectors we build them on would be better suited for other improvements, for now they should alleviate our economic problems, at least for long enough that we can get our trade network up and running.

I've already gone over the ways we can secure our trading vessels against alien attacks, so the only problem we have is lack of trading partners.

So, we need to explore more. We don't have any armed naval vessels (those come with Computing) so I suggest that our second priority for production should be another Explorer unit. If we send it immediately east over the ocean we may be able to make it to another continent, which would open us up for other resource pods and expedition opportunities, as well as opening sea lanes to other Sponsors/Stations.

Our first priority should, on further examination, be an Old Earth Relic. Culture is incredibly important at this stage as we're going to be relying on Virtues to boost our science while we wait to get more cities up. Since we went with Knowledge for our first Virtue we should at least try to get the second one in that list before we finish the expedition up north. That virtue gives us 30 Science for each successful expedition. Not too shabby at this stage in the game.

As a side note, we're only making 2 culture per turn. That is hideously low even at this point in the game. We'll likely be falling behind in virtues anyway due to the AI cheats, but to fall behind this early would severely cripple us in relation to the other Sponsors.

7. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I still think that wasting our military resources on a clearly neutral science outpost is stupid considering how many of those aliens beats are found near our base.

It seems smarter to me if we would ignore the BMC and focus on destroying the aliens nest/getting a second city on-line.

Build: Old Earth Relic (4 turns for some quick and easy culture seems like a sensible investment)
    Second Build: Explorer
    Improvements: Generators

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We do need to get rid of them eventually. That spot is the key to owning the entire coastline of what could be a large inland sea and would give us a huge strategic advantage against the Franco-Iberians. We'd be able to cut naval travel times down by dozens of turns even if it's not an inland sea too, so Banu Musa have to go. It's just a choice between killing them through force or arms or letting them wither on the vine.

9. Tehan

[​IMG]

I've reached out to our contacts within Franco-Iberia. They tell us that according to BMC's annual prospectus and current stock prices, they will go bust within fifteen years without our intervention.

Considering we have the forces to assault them and take their equipment, and we will very soon have the facilities to establish a trade relationship with them, it is my opinion that to do neither would be a tragic waste of an opportunity.

I will watch this opportunity wither on the vine if such is the Conclave's wishes, but I urge you to strongly consider the potentially massive scientific benefits we would be sacrificing by doing so. I will also remind the council that it is entirely within the realm of possibility to open trade relations with them now, and hostilities with them later. And a specialized trade vessel would take relatively little effort to build, and can easily be assigned to internal or external trade should we decide to remove BMC from the isthmus.

Currently the vote is tied between those wishing war against the aliens (Aekiel, Erandil, ChaosGuy), and those wishing war against the station (Coyote, Fenraellis, Zombie). Those voting explicitly for long-term coexistence with the station are currently in the minority (Halt, Erandil).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

[10:20]Mishie: I vote we trade now whilst fucking up allens
    [10:21]Mishie: And then blow up the dudes

11. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If I could throw out another vote, I would. In this situation. I think that you should go with your gut instinct. I hate fence post deliberation. Aliens will be around for later conquest, that station is there now for the taking with all of its advantages. Fellow Conclave members I call for all members of this great body to change their minds. We are the vehicle in which our leader travels, but it is also our duty to honor his whims and allow him this because he can do no wrong . His urging is valid.

Had a headache and took some meds. I think it may have been extacy.

12. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I'm voting for trade interactions. And then burry a hatchet in their backs when we get what we want. And now lets do what XCOM does best - kill some alien scum.

I'm volunteering for the possible trade convoy.

13. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

How long is the war against the aliens projected to last?

Because that will let us decide if we will get more economic benefit from having our own outpost there or trading while we war on the aliens. I'm leaning towards conquering the outpost though - that means we don't have to train a colonist, right?

14. Tehan

Difficult to say. Maybe as little as fifteen years, if we're lucky.

Nope, it just gives us a science boost from looting them, and then whatever benefit our explorer finds while sifting through their ashes.

15. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

Well if we need at least 17 turns to train a colonist in the first place (more as we are probably building something else first), might as well trade with them while we go to war with the aliens. Come back and kill them afterwards for the bonus loot then slap down our outpost on the ashes.

16. Tehan

[​IMG]

It was close-run, but the members of the Conclave who voted on war against the aliens won. In deference to those that wished to pluck the metaphorical fruit rather than see it wither, we shall begin trade with the station to sustain them until our war with the aliens is over, at which point we shall remove them from the isthmus by force and claim our planned canal.

As for construction, the order I've compiled from the build suggestions and our plans for the BMC is:

Relic-Trade Vessel-Explorer-Reactor-Lab-Recycler-Colonist.

I'll be monitoring the energy levels, and will be ordering the building of generators if it seems our reserves will run out before the reactor comes online.

As the Conclave had, understandably, concentrated on the immediate debate of war and construction, limited attention had been paid to long-term research priorities. A quick survey of those I could find in the Conclave chambers (namely, Mishie and ChaosGuy) gave Computing the edge.

Jibril has volunteered for leadership of the merchant navy, and has been given the rank of Commander. Upon commission of the trade vessel, he will be captaining it's voyages up and down the coast to the BMC.

---------- Post automerged at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

[​IMG]

Year 36: I do apologize for raising the BMC matter yet again, Conclave, but the situation has just changed drastically. The American Reclamation Corporation has just made planetfall, and instead of landing deep within unexplored territory... well, see for yourself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is my opinion, and comments made thus far lead me to believe that the Conclave agrees, that the lands to the north are too valuable to allow them to drift into ARC's de jure control - especially since the construction of a canal would provide an incredible advantage in any naval war.

There are three broad approaches we can take to this situation.

1) Accelerate the claiming of these lands. Attack BMC immediately, and settle on their ashes as soon as possible.

2) Form a blockade between ARC and the lands. The rough terrain between ARC's capital and the lands would allow for an effective blockade using 'only' two thirds of our military.

3) Do nothing for now, and hope that should ARC choose to expand, they do so west or north. While it could be argued that it will be some time before they are able to expand, the extra 36 years they took to reach here adds an unknown element - what did they spend that time loading their colony ship with?

4) The same as 3, but dedicate Aekiel's exploration team to keeping watch over ARC to see which direction they attempt expansion in. This would, however, mean that the satellite north of ARC would be lost to us - I believe Aekiel's team stands a solid chance of restocking and reaching the satellite before ARC discover and begin excavation of it. It would also likely mean opening negotiations with ARC for travel within their borders - it would prove too expensive to purchase without reciprocation, so it would require allowing ARC open access to our territory.

We have just finished research into oceanic travel, so we will be able to move troops past the isthmus if required.

17. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Of course, I'm still banging on the war drums. ARC is no laughing matter, and if we don't get on this soon, we might wind up fighting a defensive war against a foe with superior logistics. I cast my vote for option 1.

18. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Vindication... of a sort.

The Station appears to only have basic defensive barriers that are not designed to actively fight off an incursion. Ranger fire support for our Soldiers would make the acquisition of that prime real estate much more manageable. While it will set back our other building productions, having a Ranger squad would also help in our campaign against the Aliens, as long as they are adequately screened from the Wolf Beetles' claws. That being said, I do believe that the construction of a symbol of recognition of our peoples' origins may be of higher priority for morale.

I would hope the board can see the benefits of such a direction.

In the mean time, General Coyote and his back up may be able to thin out the aliens a bit in preparation for their later campaign, while they wait for the Rangers to receive their equipment and training.

19. Tehan

We constructed a ranger squad back before we realized the extent of the alien threat in preparation for the siege of BMC - they're currently just north of Blackbird Claw. They'll be deployed to support whatever operation the Conclave opts for.

20. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

If I'm understanding this right, even if we blow up the outpost we still need to churn out two colonists to actually secure the isthmus and resources to the north. That's a lot of time to be stalling our growth and production...but I guess it can't be helped, since otherwise we need two units to block off ARC which means producing more for the push against the aliens.

How about we slap down a generator tile improvement for the immediate energy crisis (we are going up a pop soon, yeah?) and rearrange our production queue to: Relic-Ranger-Colonist-Other Stuff.

That way we can immediately send the ranger unit up north, who along with the soldier should be enough to take the outpost. Once done, they can go seal off the paths into ARC territory. Meanwhile we have a ranger down sound with the second soldier, who should be able to start whittling away at the aliens until the north is secured and the other two units come in for the real war. The exploring keeps doing his thing.