1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Age: Inquisition (Illiterate Edition)

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by ScottPress, Aug 14, 2013.

1. fire

fire Order Member

Inquisition seems to be the shit. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Are mages still the broken bastards that they were in Origins? If so, then all aboard the magic rape train - the OTP of Dragon Age is Amell/Fireball.

2. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Idk, i'd rather get Pre-order DLC Items, over the physical stuff. They've never been much of an incentive, for me.

3. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Fair enough. Personally, none of it is an incentive to me, since I've been burned enough that the only games I expect to be good out of the gate are Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Add in how expensive shit has gotten, and the needless bullshit with DRM and DLC, leads to me almost never buying a game within a month of release.

4. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

From what I understand of mage gameplay, you basically have a few trees of the primal variety (Fire, Frost) and then one tree for barrier. Passives will play a larger role as they add more of the Crowd Control to your basic abilities.

This works especially well since you only have 8 abilities to use at a time.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think 8 ability slots is plenty. In previous games it was about the number of abilities in your main arsenal anyway. A single stamina/mana cycle usually supported 5-6, with two being either your rarely used havy hitters or spare "everything else is on cooldown" buttons. In DA2, the most powerful and versatile builds ended up with 6-7 skills, rarely more.

Of course, there are also toggle abilities, but those usually stayed active all the time, unless some excluded each other. Still, with the right skill set, even a blood mage didn't have to drop BM. This is especially true for DA2. Personally, I think the skill trees had better synergy there than in Origins.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  6. Pasta Sentient

From what I've seen, there is a lot more synergy to combat in DAI. Like I always loved the few combos we had with grease/fireball and frost/shatter. But it seems that DAI with the fewer abilites is able to do a whole lot more with that.

In addition, your passives will act as your toggle abilities. So I'm looking forward to the gameplay.

12 Days!

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    Linking is painful on the phone, but you can find it easily: AngryJoe has posted a video showing off the prologue. He skips most of cutscenes and is tryhard pretending like he knows DA lore when it's obvious he doesn't know some basic things, but the video shows Nightmare combat. Not the best video, true, but I suspect more will be dropping on other channels. Game looks pretty fucking good.

Also, seeing the whining in the comments I want to punch some of those cunts in the face. Please go play Baldur's Gate already and leave people looking forward to this game alone.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  8. Pasta Sentient

AngryJoe Link

Got it for ya. I'm not watching to avoid spoilers. I know he skips cutscenes, but I want it to be as fresh as possible. I'll have a box of pizza, a box of mountain dew, my 52 inch wide screen tv, and PS4 waiting for me at midnight on the 18th...

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    You'll be a happy snowman, Pasta. I'm fucking jealous.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm wondering if I shouldn't get it for PS4 this time. I haven't upgraded my PC in like four years and the requirements are looking a bit steep. But I suppose I can still play it on the lower settings and just upgrade later.

11. Pasta Sentient

Can you run it has the specs. Also, Battlefield 4 is a good measurement of how intensive it would be on a PC since they both use Frostbite. I have a decent computer only 3 years old, but it can barely run Battlefield on lowest specs.

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I could play the Battlefield 4 demo if I lowered enough settings, so I figure Inquisition will be the same, yeah. I'll probably get it for PC, I've been thinking of upgrading it soon anyway.

13. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can you run it is pretty terrible. Actual results can vary wildly. Running something like BF4 is indeed a much better test.

14. Pasta Sentient

15. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking excellent.

Now lets hope at least a majority of that content is enjoyable.

16. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Was very impressed by the Angry Joe video. Love Cassandra's voice again. I can run Skyrim with 100+ mods and highest specs,mso I'm cool. I already bought DAO and DAII but for PS3 (DAO is shit when compare with PC plus mods, but DA II is a considerably better game), so I don't to pay formthem again to play one story line.

200hrs? Fuck.

17. Pasta Sentient

Metacritic. Is happily sitting at 89 with review from sites like game informer giving it a 95. I'll wait for reviews from less big name reviewers, but this is good.

Edit: based on the reviews I've read here is the general consensus.

Pros:

-It's fucking huge. One area is equivalent to the landmass of both Origins and 2. There are ten of these areas. (Also it's gorgeous.)
    -Combat is synergized and fun.
    -Companions are awesome.
    -Dialogue is the most evolved and natural of all bioware games so far.
    -even fetch quests feel like they serve a purpose.
    -It's fucking huge. So much to discover.

Cons

-some minor to major bugs, though by no means often.*
    -lack of storage chest
    -Main story is not great. Good, but not out of this world. Companions are better written.

Edit 2*: The bugs were apparently only on the PS4 version and due to Sony releasing a new framework after Bioware had sent the copies to the reviewers. Bioware has stated that a day one patch will fix these issues.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  18. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah it sounds like DA:I really managed to keep most of its promises and is a true and interesting RPG. Can´t wait to play it myself and truly see how it is- especially since I avoided most gameplay videos out of fear for spoilers etc.

The UI/inventory etc. could have been a bit better optimized for PC/mouse but I have survived worse "ports".

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    So I saw that reviews started dropping. All you lucky fuckers who have the hardware and time to play this game, I envy you so much.

I hate my life right now :(

20. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Can I play as a Qunari mage that doesn't reject the Qun? One of those Seebarase(sp?) but loyal to the Qun.