1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Basileus777

Basileus777 Squib

Chapter lengths establish the pacing and flow of a story. They can be any length, but that doesn't make it a good way to structure a story.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I didn't know where to put this so im just going to leave it here.
    Harry Potter if it was played by Dota players. I thought it was pretty funny but I wonder what it's like to someone who doesn't get the injokes.
    Link

3. theronin

theronin Order Member

Probably makes no sense to anyone not familiar with the dota pro scene, but it's been pretty good. Hotbid's stuff has been fantastic for a long time.

4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't play DOTA but that was pretty funny. Is the deputy's name a reference to Adrafinil, or am I just reading into it too much?

5. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Finol is the well known valve employee, paused an important game at TI3(world cup of Dota) during a fight randomly.

T3t
  6. PrometheusII

PrometheusII Second Year

Harry Potter and the Deathly Video Game
    By: Timeandvlove
    After he dies Harry Potter is thrust back into the past with new powers. He must seek master these powers before the mysterious beings that have followed him from the afterlife slay him for good. Inspired by Harry Potter, Deus Ex, the Witcher, the Sims, and Risen and countless video game fanfictions.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Adventure/Fantasy - Bellatrix L. - Chapters: 8 - Words: 23,138 - Reviews: 5 - Favs: 15 - Follows: 12 - Updated: 10h ago - Published: Sep 26, 2014 - id: 10717196

Some of us like those HP-as-a-video-game-fanfics. Obviously, they are never really great fiction, but can count as a certain kind of "guilty pleasure".

This one is quite different from the usual stories of this genre: it somehow contains actual conflict, tension etc! It is not just Harry grinding up skills and perks etc. For example: Harry does not even really understand that he is in a game, and the game is programmed in German, which he does not understand. And he immediately is in a fight for his live and has to fight off a love potion. This (the 7th chapter) is actually truly interesting. The way the author describes how to fight a love potion does truly make sense.

This story could turn out to become truly interesting! Or ... it might not. One will have to see, but it is certainly worth to take a look ;) There are not many reviews yet - the author directly answered to mine, he was really happy about getting one from someone else than his personal friends.. :) - and this motivated to keep the story going. So if you like it, review? Compared to other video-game-fanfics, I think this one really deserves to be read!

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Well now, I can't say I'm all that big of a fan of the fic, but this part was amusing:

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

"Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, come to die."

Harry walked towards the Dark Lord, then suddenly pulled out something from his pocket. It was a muggle camera.

"But first, let me take a selfie."

9. Stan

Stan Order Member

Found this story a few weeks ago. Its decently written, even if it is nothing new and has the usual stuff of being rescued from the Dursleys, Diagon Alley, the train etc. The story is authored by a couple of real life twins - so they do know what they're doing on that front. Again, if you've read a lot of fanfiction, you won't find anything new in this story - but if you're bored and have nothing better to do, you can give it a read. It does have the novelty of being a twin story written by a pair of twins, so it has that going for it at least.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol what? I dunno, that is ofputting

11. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

I got like two chapters in, but I really can't stand the characterisation.

12. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

Matou Shinji and the Philosopher's Stone

Its a Fate/Harry Potter fusion.

I really shouldn't like it, there's so many red flags. Shinji getting a super special custom wand, the relation to the nasuverse meaning magical cores are a thing, Shinji using a super special Japanese magical tradition. ect.

But for some reason, despite hating all of these things I'm really enjoying it. It probably helps that the writings of a good quality.

EDIT: Because apparently I'm a numpty and added the wrong link.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

On a scale of one to ten, how horrifically painful is Shinjis brutal death?

I'm not entirely sure I can stomach a fic where he doesn't get at least a six.

Jokes aside though, I'm not sure how you managed it, but your link broken, it's just the dlp url with the fics title after it.

4/5 rating on the 404 page though, it's a classic.

(Edit: Because I'm awesome, I went and found what I'm pretty sure is it.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't see the joke.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

As you might have noticed we, the staff (actually some random Supermod / Admin), renamed the Recycling Bin into "Almost Recommended". The Recycling Bin once was the container for every story from one to three stars. Nowadays we use the Trash Bin for one and two star stories, and the Recycling Bin contains the same 'almost recommended' material as this thread.

Additional Rules for this thread:

"Almost Recommended" board and thread are supposed to work as a combination like "Story Searches":
    • Use this thread if you think a story doesn't deserve its own thread because it's too short to be judged, or if it is so bad it's likely to end in the Trash Bin.
    • If you consider the story you want to submit at least almost recommendable (rated about 3/5 or three stars), submit it for review and start a thread in the Review Board.
    • Don't hesitate to submit something for review, even if it already was mentioned in this thread. It's way easier to follow the progress and discussion of a story within its own review thread than in here.
    • Please don't use this thread just because it's more convenient to post something in here instead of starting your own thread.

If there are further questions, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly (albeit sometimes deadly) staffers.

Edit: I probably will repost this post every now and then if needed. Perhaps every two pages or so.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  16. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

So do we still use this thread for stuff that's not library worthy but almost recommendable? Or do they just get their own threads now? :S

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

- If the story is long enough to warrant its own thread, post it on the review board.

- If you think it's not really recommedable but rather bad, use this thread.

The point is, that these 'almost recommended' threads got bloated over the last years, while new submissions are steadily decreasing. Sometimes I think people rather use this thread instead of the Review Board because
    - it is easier to post in here than to start a new thread
    - people fear to get bashed submitting something not really up for the library

If you really are into a story you shouldn't hesitate to properly submit it for review and to argue your case. Even if it ends in 'Almost Recommendable' it's easier to follow the progress of the discussion and the story.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  18. esran

esran Professor

Where do stories that we like and think are high quality but assume most of DLP will rate one star on go due to traditionally hated on DLP pairings go?

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Dude. Read.

20. Stan

Stan Order Member

Other than slash, does DLP have hated pairings anymore? Sure some pairings (Honks, H/Fleur) are more popular than others (HG,HHr), but no pairing is draws automatic hate like Harry/Ginny did in the 2005-08 period.

Not open for further replies.