1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.9

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 10, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

There isn't one, but in the real world you have an option to lie.

Also, in case of the fifth amendment, your non-answer cannot be used to determine your guilt. Guilt has to be determined independently of your non-answer, which is not what you wanted. If you read your own post above, you wanted, I quote, "skilled judge or prosecutor will be able to interprete the answers", which is not an option in case of the fifth amendment.

EDIT: This brings us to my original point. Your idea of the vow did not have the option of preventing self incrimination, whereas I said that allowing for it dilutes the vow to the point where it becomes no more useful that not using it.

EDIT2: I guess we're stuck in another debate where neither of us are going to agree, so I'm going to stop at this point.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

So you're saying those who believed in the consequences of lying spoke the truth the others didn't. But that's not what I'm talking about. Making an unbreakable vow has real and 'visible' consequences.

3. esran

esran Professor

Here's the problem
    Starfox assumes that the reason an unbreakable vow is not used in canon is the currupt wizengamot.
    Starfox, tell me why the currupt wizengamot explains why the unbreakable vow was not used in canon? I'm curios. It doesn't seem to explain it at all. Even if most of the wizengamot was corrupt it seems to me eventually an honest member would suggest the unbreakable vow, and the others would have trouble refuting it if it was such a perfect solution.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, my point is that western society and others as well saw no moral problem with making oaths or vows that they thought were unbreakable on pain of death, and even today's court oaths have their historical foundation in such beliefs. By the way, those who believed it would also point to "real and visible" consequences for lying under oath. Hell, trial by combat and trial by ordeal are based on the same roots—that God will strike down the guilty.

But, this too is turning into a thread derail, so I'll give you last word.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Pet Peeve of the Day - The constant refusal of authors to write stories about Harry which do not feature Hermione or Ron in some way. Look, I know they're two of the main characters, but you're not chained to them like to a rock.

Even in stories where Harry goes to Slytherin he somehow ends up friends with Hermione and/or Ron. This is so infuriating and unoriginal, why can't people just develop other characters as Harry's friends? It's like people lack imagination or something.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Xandrel, you edited your post at just the right time, didn't you?

7. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

At the end of the day they are just that..... beliefs. Have you ever seen a witness being killed for lying? They might perjure themselves in which case they face a fine and imprisonment but something like an unbreakable vow kills people for breaking it.
    You seem okay with that. Well I'm not. So lets agree to disagree.

8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I posted it and then decided that I shouldn't have posted it so I edited almost immediately after that.

9. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

They outlawed it, with any excuse they could get, no matter how stupid. (They outlawed flying carpets too, for example, and it went through.)

"It's a slight against the honor of a wizard or witch, to suggest they would lie to the court without a vow."

"An unbreakable vow is a personal matter, not something to drag into court"

"If such was allowed, everyone would do it, and we would have people dieing in court."

"We did well enough without such lethal measures."

Canon shows that with enough money or power, any law can be passed, no matter how insane or stupid.

10. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Sirius' trial with a vow:

Crouch: "Are you responsible for the Potters' death?"

Sirius: "Yes."

Case closed.

11. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Because I think we should move this away from Unbreakable Vows...

Fics where Hermione is almost immediately BFFs with Hermione, while Ron is at best ignored and at worst relentlessly Bashed.

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I personally like and enjoy FtS explanation on this matter...but it's still irrelevant to this discussion. It's based on the concept that the Wizarding World has a intense problem with giving up their magic as a cultural issue, which isn't something of canon (even though it does fit with canon).

That said, this discussion has become irrelevant to this thread.

I agree Xandrel. I'd add, though, that it annoys me how if Harry's house does change, he still has to meet his future friends on the train ride.

13. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

Non-magic AU's. What's the point?

14. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Hermione being bffs with herself? :sherlock:

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

So business as usual then?

16. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Time-turners make for some interesting masturbation.:p

17. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

And self orgies, mustn't forget self-orgies

18. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Time-turner + Polyjuice. Who even needs a relationship?

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I think I once came across a smutfic like that, where Hermione was using Harry's hair for Polyjuice and a Time-Turner so that she could basically fuck herself, and even organize gangbangs. I believe the Time-Turner actually had a crack on it from overuse.

She knocked herself up and then manipulated Harry into having a relationship with her, slept with him once and did the whole "I'm pregnant and it's yours (except not really)!" thing.

Seriously, it's like they never invented a spell like Abortus Fetus.

20. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

How the hell did she knock herself up?

Not open for further replies.