1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Same here, I generally hate first person. It's why I only got half-way into the Hunger Games.

As for Ren, He's too tied to JNPR and Nora to be put on a bus, and killing him off would take the focus off the rest of the story.

2. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

You didn't like Kingkiller Chronicles?

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I feel the opposite because the first person is constricting. It puts down limits to what a character knows and sees*, but also allows you to explore that character thoroughly**. The Third Person can show you more, but that's not always a good thing, especially as it becomes hard to balance and you get into the Singular vs. Omniscient thing.

*Which works well for plotlines.

**Which is good for, well, getting into that character.

4. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I feel that first person is more for character building whereas the third person for world building really.

I did read Zodiac btw and had to stop mid-way. Could not stand the animal traits of his faunus. Granted it was good, I felt he took it to the extreme level.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I agree with this. Good characterization almost always hinges on playing with the tension between these three things:

- What the POV character knows
    - What the audience doesn't know about non-POV characters
    - What the audience knows about non-POV characters that the POV character doesn't know.

First person can work well for that, but like others have pointed out, it can be pretty limiting (though, like Ryuugi said, sometimes that's a good challenge.)

I prefer to read stories in third-limited, if it's done well. Except, too many writers use it as an excuse to explore characters lazily by head-hopping all over the place. It's a real pet peeve of mine, because it destroys conflict and tension (which are good things in a story) for no reason.

Anyway, Zeelthor - I'd say RWBY is well set up for third-limited, just always be aware of whose head you're in during a scene, and remember that that person doesn't have any access to other information than what they experience.

6. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

In terms of RWBY though, it doesn't work so well, and exploring one character thoroughly is often only giving a slice of the team dynamic. Also you have situations where you need to sometimes institute batty contrivances to let the audience know things the character doesn't, or else when things happen your readers are in the dark about, they will throw their hands up, declare it makes no sense and drop the fic.

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Mmm. I'm still thinking about it. I've gotten rather comfy with first person when writing Dresden and I do feel that it'd be easier to capture Ruby's voice in first person... We'll see.

8. OneirosTheWriter

It works well in that sort of hero(ine) focused urban fantasy, though. Dresden Files, the Hollows, Anita Blake, etc, because the character is someone who is either already knowledgeable or else the reader expects that bizarre things will be happening around them that they'll have to wait on the explanations for.

Also the way they handle allies versus RWBY teammates is quite different as well. Sometimes you have to consider the team itself as a "fifth" character, sort of like in some romance novels treat the relationship itself.

9. Download

High Score:
    Never read it.

---------- Post automerged at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

Wrong thread

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  10. Zeelthor

To continue my row of questioning. What things do you enjoy about the characters of the core four and their chemistry. What would you like to see explored further in fanfiction, both in a shippy sense and not?

11. Zeelthor

I generally stay away from the AU fics, but this one was pretty damn solid both at converting the characters into people in the real world and doing so in an interesting way that actually fit.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/2831618

12. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  13. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

I haven't been this happy since Ryuugi updated that one fic

14. OneirosTheWriter

It was always going to continue. Monty Oum was the original driving force but it was nowhere near a one-man band and they have his notes for the next several seasons to keep the creative vision the same.

15. Zeelthor

I'm really, really psyched to hear that. I hope they manage to improve the show further. SOOO PSYCHED, YOU GUYS!

16. Download

High Score:
    Pretty sure everyone knew it was continuing.

---------- Post automerged at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

At least no one on /co/ had any doubts

17. OneirosTheWriter

There will be some fun speculation on exactly who is getting the fist-based education from Yang. Raven, Neo, Cardin v2.

... Jaune to make him back off Weiss, even?

-

As an aside, Ch 12 of FDS almost ready for prime time, just been delayed with proof-reading (and 10k written for the next chapter already).

18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cardin and Jaune seem like pretty retarded suggestions, to be honest. Cardin's conflict was almost entirely with Jaune and, by extension, Pyrrha, and Jaune's attempted wooing of Weiss has taken a turn by the end of the dance as evidenced by him intervening with Neptune for her.

19. OneirosTheWriter

Suggestions clearly listed in descending order of likelihood.

Edit: I hope it won't be Neo, though, it would be ridiculous to go straight from being curb-stomped to victory...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I can see it being Neo, since the fact that Yang lost so hard was (at least, that is the implication) because Neo uses illusions via eye-contact. That is, Neo won because she has one trick that puts her above Yang. If Yang is able to negate that, not fall for the illusions or find a way to prevent from being drawn into whatever it is that Neo does, I can see her turning things around. (There is the theory that neo fled from Raven because the mask prevents direct eye contact, so,if her gimmick/semblance doesn't work...)

After all, in terms of skill and strength, Yang is among the strongest, if not the strongest of her age group. Neo being able to dominate Yang so thoroughly is unlikely to be the case simply because Neo is that much more skilled. If that is the case, can't see anyone except full-fledged hunters and huntresses being able to do anything against her.

I mean, we have seen in Bleach how the one character who could use illusions was able to utterly dominate the rest of the cast simply because they couldn't. It's kind off a broken ability.

So yeah, if that is the case, can see it being Neo.