1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.9

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jan 10, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Any AN except possibly a small one at the start and a slightly bigger one at the end is too much. I cannot stress enough how annoying it is to have to scroll past a bunch of replies to inane reviews or long excuses about why the chapter got delayed before I get to the story. I'm also not interested in the presentation you had to do in front of a really hot guy and how you were SO nervous. Even if it somehow tangentially has something to do with the story. Furthermore, if you really want to add something in the middle of the story, you could at least use footnotes of some kind.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You know what's a pet peeve? Getting a notification for a new chapter that's only 2-3k words, and half of it is the AN, blubbering about things I don't particularly care for.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Or when the entire chapter is an AN saying that they will post in a couple of hours.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    She did . . .

And gave it to Harry.

Of course, "Molly the Goblin Sorceress" would at least be a new twist on an old cliche.

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

As far as I remember Harry never had his key in hand except for book 2 I believe. I also think that's the only time ever took money out himself the rest was done for him by a Weasley.

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Or, because in real life, not every teenager jumps into bed with someone they're dating. From the way people expect fics to be written around here, you'd think we were all French.

7. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Solution, ship Harry/Fleur.

8. Stan

Stan Order Member

New Pet Peeve : Authors thinking that the Solution to Everything is to ship Harry/Fleur.

Harry and Fleur aren't exactly compatible in canon, not to mention many of Harry's friends/family dislike her. Shipping them together often screams wish fulfillment, and that is not something I particularly care to read about.

That's not to say Harry/Fleur cannot be done well -- both The Lie I've Lived and Wastelands have H/F (although I felt relationship in Wastelands wasn't particularly great), but both of them age Harry up in one way or another, and Harry is pretty much Harry in-name-only anyway.

Randomly making a story H/F does not make it better, something people cannot learn soon enough. And to think some people are advocating turning Forging the Sword into yet another Harry/Fleur story.

9. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Harry/Fleur is one of those strange things that sounds so much better in abstract. I list it as my favourite pairing and yet I'd be hard pushed to list 5 fics with Harry/Fleur that I can actually re-read. For the most part they are either teeth-rotting, boring, cliché to the max or just plain not well written.

It makes me sad. I'm pretty sure if I did a quantitative analysis of my favourites that I'd come up with Harry/Hermione as my favourite ship.

10. esran

esran Professor

Any story will be worse for having a pairing put in because fanfic authors don't know how to write romance*.

*Fanfic writers that do know how to write romance can sometimes get away with pairings, but these are few and far between. I have yet to see a story where romance is not the primary purpose of the story where I thought a paring significantly improved the story.

11. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I was thinking something similar when I saw the results of the recent DLP poll.
    How can Harry/Fleur be the favorite pairing? There's just nothing there.
    It seems so juvenile. Obvious male wish fulfillment. Who should the reader-stand-in-protagonist be paired with? Obviously the super-hot french girl!

I don't really think there's anything wrong with enjoying wish-fulfillment fanfiction. Many people want that in their recreational reading.
    What you can't do then though, is turn around and claim you only read sophisticated works with literary qualities. It's fanfiction junk-food and not a gourmet meal.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I think the answer is pretty simple. The total number of girls that we actually get to know in HP is one, and that is Hermionie. Ginny is barely explored and most of what we know about her makes her come off as unsuitable for any kind of pairing. Canon Hermionie is better, but still doesn't seem very suitable for a pairing with Harry.

The result is that no matter who you want to pair Harry with, you either have to change their character from that of canon, or you go with a relatively unknown character and build them up to make a pairing.

So, any good pairing in fanfics is wish fulfilment anyway. While you are at it, why not do that wish fulfilment with the only known canon hottie? I think that makes H/F a perfectly reasonable 'favourite pairing'.

13. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

I've always liked H/F because they have similar experiences (typical veela/Boy-Who-Lived reactions, has seen a lot of action etc.) through which they can have common ground. She is presumably good at magic (even if she did get last place in Tri-wizard Tournament) so she can be easily included in any action bits. Plus she's older so it adds a bit of maturity to the relationship which makes it easier to relate to than a couple of early teens. Those are all reasons why I enjoy Harry/Tonks and Harry/Hermione (who, if she isn't presented as a know-it-all is usually mature) and hate Harry/Ginny. Blank slate characters like Daphne are also great since you can basically do anything with it.

14. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

Whenever In a Naruto fic that he can outrun nine teams of ANBU or some shit, and that stealth is never used again

15. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

You talking about the fiction written by this guy Kishimoto?

16. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Harry/Fleur makes everything better. Don't lie to yourselves. Embrace she-who-is.

H/F 4lyfe.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  17. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Pfft, down with Fleur! Boo!

Now Parvati or Lavender, or maybe even Romilda Vane, these are the girls I'd like to see Harry with. Normal, regular girls.

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

The problem is many people, including myself, don't see any appeal in any of those three.

19. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

How is that different from pairing him with Ginny?

---------- Post automerged at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

That's because there is no appeal in it. If you want a such a pairing, you already have a fully fleshed out normal, regular girl in canon in Ginny. You could just use her instead of using someone else.

The appeal with other pairings, be it Daphne, or Fleur, or others, is that they are not indicative of a normal, regular girl in the HP world.

20. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey guys, I have the best solution: Pair ALL THE GIRLS with Harry. Pairing problem solved.

Tho, Harry/Fleur OTP

Not open for further replies.