1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"RWBY" fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

2. OneirosTheWriter

OneirosTheWriter Second Year

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Icecream faunus.

I lost it.

---------- Post automerged at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

I other news I've been playing plenty of GTV V and now I've had some inspiration I think I might get a chapter for RWBY: Liberty City Stories out tomorrow.

4. OneirosTheWriter

The misplaced aggression line nearly killed me. Very nearly...

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It was Ruby's reaction to that which was the best.

6. Zeelthor

Oh God this story is just pure gold. Story challenge for anyone inclined: After her successful use of the laser pointer, Yang decides to give catnip a go. Things obviously go crazy.

7. OneirosTheWriter

Getting a growing urge to go back to change Weiss' last line to Venus........... (sigh)

8. Zeelthor

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Felt too forced most of the times, though a few lines got me to a crack a smile.

Whoa. Absolutely loved this. Up with Four Deadly Secrets as my favourite RWBY fan works.

The plot is imaginative and intriguing. Don't let the front page with its Geocities style animations trick you into thinking this is some slice of life/romance doujinshi - it's a full blown, plot focused story. Really surprised to see something like this as a doujinshi when it hasn't even popped as a fanfic concept yet.

For instance, but the first chapter opens with:

Blake betraying an older Team RWBY at Weiss' SDC inheritance ceremony by stabbing Ruby through the chest.

The characters are fantastic. Older, more mature, more badass versions of the characters from the series that still retain their own canon quirks. Ruby and Weiss' interaction actually reminded me a bit of how @OneirosTheWriter depicts them. I even liked Yang, and I usually find her pretty dull.

I absolutely love the art and older character designs. The artist really manages to draw out their emotions - cute/playful, distraught/emotional or just plain badass. I usually don't enjoy manga depictions of action scenes all that much (part of the reason I generally prefer anime for action genres), but I really got into the fight scenes in this story.

So yeah, give it a go. Should also note chapter 20 is out but for some reason isn't linked on the main page.

10. OneirosTheWriter

Man, that guy can design a character. Looks gorgeous.

Oh god, Ruby, why do you have a hole through you? D:

... oh, uh, getting back in FDS Ch 14 properly. Took some time for some silly writing. 2.2k words of an opening chapter for a Paladin pilot preparing to fight some Grimm and getting the crap scared out of her by Winter Schnee.

Recharging creative juices kind of thing.

11. Zeelthor

I may have commented on that comic, but I honestly don't see its charm. The art is cluttered and you can barely tell who is what. The plot is confusing and the dialogue looks like the stuff that makes me usually avoid anime.

The references to the show lack all pretense of subtlety. Is Ruby dead, or am I confused? Cos fuck that :p

12. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I can agree that the first few chapters starts a bit cluttered and unpolished. The first prequel chapter actually has some text substituting for drawings for some reason. This improves significantly after the prequel chapters.

I'd also add the awkward dialogue can be because of poor English translation (I get the feeling the author doesn't speak it).

Also, just confirming, are you reading right to left?

And no, Ruby isn't dead. I don't know how far you read but, you see her wake up in Prequel-3.

She needs to stay alive to be badass enough to do epic eye glint poses like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  13. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

I think the author's first language is Taiwanese? based on the tumblr blog title.

And yeah Henceforward is very interesting especially in its world building/extrapolation.

I mean the latest chapter, Oh boy. Ooooooooh.

14. Download

High Score:
    I posted this in the Plot Bunny thread but I thought I should post this here too.

RWBY/Pokemon crossover.

The Huntsmen and Huntresses are Pokemon trainers trained to hunt down and destroy rouge Pokemon to dangerous to let live, and to hunt down criminal Pokemon trainer who use dangerous Pokemon in the commission of crimes. All of the potential Huntsmen and Huntress applicants are reasonably experienced Pokemon trainers in their own right who decided to attend a prep school like Signal Academy.

Basically a Pokemon/RWBY world merging. Grimm are replaced with dangerous Pokemon. Huntsmen and Huntresses would use RWBY weapons and fight alongside their own Pokemon. I would use quite a few anime concepts and a few anime characters. Pokemon aura would be replaced with RWBY aura - so Lucario and its evolutions would be the Pokemon that has human abilities. Dust would also exist.

The plot would initially follow a slightly modified RWBY plot; so Ruby at Beacon early, Team RWBY, etc but each of the main characters would have a Pokemon partner of some sort. Given normal animals don't really exist in Pokemon canon I would change Faunus to people with Pokemon features instead of animal.

Not sure what each character's main Pokemon companion would be though.

I have no idea where I would take this.

15. Download

High Score:
  16. OneirosTheWriter

Chapter 14 of Four Deadly Secrets updated. I also updated the end to Ch13 to slightly clean up Weiss' response to be a little less grade-school, but it wasn't anything major.
    Zeelthor - you may appreciate the Yang-throw-up callback :D

17. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

18. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

In for a Penny by Super Saiyan Cyndaquil is a decent Jaune/Penny two-shot.

19. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

College Fool is one of the best authors I've found in the RWBY fandom. He's a trio of pretty great fics:

A short fic focusing on Pyrrha and Jaune. Jaune doesn't become a Hunter while Pyrrha continues on her path--it does a good job of making things worse without Jaune without requiring Jaune to be an amazing badass or anything. A great character fic, in my opinion.

As the summary says, this fic is (barring four chapters) a series of related AUs. Given that Beacon believes in coed lockers, rooms, and etc. and is home to a bunch of older teenagers and young adults, this struck me as pretty possible--two kids fool around and what tends to happen happens. In this case, it's Jaune and one of the female characters, and Jaune drops out to be a stay at home dad while the girls in question continue their careers. It's fairly well done, though I occasionally skimmed.

Long story short, Jaune fails to even fake his way into Beacon--instead, he becomes a common criminal. Background is that his family died and he doesn't have any real ways to support himself, so he ends up as Juniors at first. Shit happens and he gets roped into Torchwick's--and later Cinder's and the White Fang's--plans and generally makes things worse. It's a pretty good story from a slow descent perspective, though the personality split thing is just weird. Occasional meetings with Ruby (which play into him making things worse) sort of act as the light balance the darkness here, but...

Honestly, my main complaint is that it doesn't go all the way. By about the midpoint of the story, Jaune's set for a future as criminal scum--an uncommon criminal, as the story says. He doesn't make any sudden jumps in power, even after his Aura awakens, but he makes progress and, more importantly, connections. Given everything, a few years would probably have him set up pretty nicely--and I kind of wish the story had gone that route instead of the more common second thoughts stuff, even if I knew it was pretty much inevitable.

20. Download

High Score:
    I honestly don't like Jaune that much as a character. I prefer him far in the background.