1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Apex is looking like the most promising Worm fic at the moment.

2. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

There's Intrepid (https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/intrepid-worm-au.337516/) by the same author as Atonement. Good writing, good update rate. After the Locker, Emma, Madison and Taylor all trigger and eventually start cape lifes. It's a great clusterfuck.

On the upside, this is the best and most realistic seeming big time fallout from the Locker event I've seen yet. The protagonists move organically. On the downside, I dislike some plottwists and characterizations. Like the unbeatable Lung, the Faultline charity, just some pet peeves of mine.

3. Brot3inShake

Brot3inShake Squib

Still early, but I agree that it holds a lot of promise.

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

The one thing I don't like about Intrepid is the numerous POVs. Sure, I end up sort of enjoying the Emma/Madison/Sophia chapters when I eventually get around to them, but I loathe reading them all the same. I get excited when there's a Taylor chapter. Not so much for the others.

Edit: I just happened to take a glance at the latest chapter of Banshee. I stopped reading it ages ago (it's pretty bad), but I have to ask, if there's even anyone here still reading: what the fuck is going on in the story? Their were zombies, and the E88 was all buddy buddy with the Protectorate

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  5. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It became Warframe. AKA the plot does not matter, just fight cool things.

NTD
  6. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I dunno, Banshee was kinda fun. I'm biased because it had my favorite take of Piggot. She isn't insane like she is in most fanon, but she's doing something clearly subtly shady (subtly pressuring Wards by showing them what happens to PRT troopers going up against parahumans) in a way that makes it clear that all is not well but not going too far into grabbing the Conflict Ball.

That said...I also lost interest around the same time as you, around the massive zombie thing. Then I came back and there was some strange new tension with the bosses over "answers" and mysterious Warframe people running around and I was out of interest to give.

But then, I enjoyed it more at its inception, when there was less of that stuff.

7. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I didn't actually make it that far. I stopped neae the beginning, right around when she joined the Wards. I just read chapter 80 because I was curious.

8. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

Wail of the Banshee

Crossover with Warframe. Not just a new power either. This is a full AU fusion with the Warframe factions acting in the background, just starting to really appear in recent chapters. In arc 5 the plot goes completely off the Worm rails. I would recommend this if you need a fix of something original, or are bored and need to kill several hours.

Quick summary of chapters 33-80 for Cxjenious:
    A new villainous tinker showed up and started causing all kinds of problems. During a raid on one of his bases Armsmaster accidentally set loose a zombie plague the guy was studying. The city was quarantined and everyone had to team up to destroy the creature/hive-mind that was the source, or the city was going to be bombed off the map. The truce is still in effect which is why the Protectorate is working with the E88. Oh yeah, and Taylor is a hairsbreadth from leaving the wards.

9. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

I'm really liking intrepid. Apex is kind of interesting but it grates on me.

10. fire

fire Order Member

Penultimate chapter of the first book of Journey of the Dragonfly is up.

That was both unexpected, and quite tragic.

Epilogue will be up within 2 days, apparently.

11. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

My issue with Journey of the Dragonfly was the gratuitous crossover elements. It's a time-travel fic where you have an opportunity to extend the cast with interesting canon characters or OCs, and instead the author shoehorned in DC and Disney characters. I just couldn't get into it.

A Cloudy Path is well written and well plotted out, but it's pacing is really freaking slow. I'm still enjoying it, but I wouldn't want to have just started reading it as it would be an epic slog. Having read it chapter by chapter I can appreciate it a bit more. It wins massive points from me for not handing Taylor an "I Win" button despite her having a potentially OP power - it does conflict (social and physical) pretty well from what I remember of the rest of it.

12. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I'm currently up to 10.4 in A Cloudy Path and I've stalled a bit.I suppose it's better than other fics where she re-invents the wheel before even joining the Wards.

13. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I wouldn't go this far, but I think there's a distinct lack of build-up and character interaction. Case in point, this whole climax and end to "book one". They only just killed Jack Slash and now they're fighting Eidolon... I would have preferred much more build up, espeically final interactions between the Dragonfly and the Protectorate. If they're really going to Japan, that's going to mean we won't be seeing the likes of Armsmaster or Mr. Incredible for a long while, if ever again.

Also, Lung's turn around and Eidolon's post cognition read to clean. A small gripe, but it feels too convenient for Worm.

Nevertheless, I still thoroughly enjoy it.

14. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Cloudy Path went downhill for me after the Butcher fight. I just lost the will to keep on reading.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, definitely agree with you there. I found A Cloudy Path was interesting up until around that point where a whole bunch of things started irritating/boring me.

There seemed to be no foreseeable goal for me to look forward to. Leviathan felt like a huge climax, but somehow the conclusion of the Butcher fight just didn't (Despite the rather major events that did happen in there). I felt like I was reading a collection of scenes than following a story.

Taylor as a character also seemed to suddenly stop developing too. With the people she kept around her, she seemed to have too strong a support base to never really go through the major character development we see in canon.

16. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

The best way I can sum up Cloudy path is, Stuff happened, and I can't remember any of it.

17. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

The shelter and Danny really sapped all the life out of that fic. He should've died to Leviathan.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

19. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Well Dragonfly ended, blergh and what a shitty ending.
    Removing Scion and Cauldron is great! But replacing them with... baaaaargh another faction of stupid heads? And more interstellar space flagellum? God dammit, I'm glad it's over. Any sequel to it just won't be satisfying, if those're the stakes.
    It left me pretty much not satisfied. But the rest of the story was great, so, oh well.

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I hate the whole pseudo-mysterious "guess the character" writing style. Some of those same sort of scenes in this last chapter, when coupled with Narco's clunky writing, made reading them, and attempting to understand them, too much of a chore.

Not open for further replies.