1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Naruto fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Inert, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

The only real chances were in the wars, and there I can't imagine they didn't use their summons when it was necessary (Hanzo). Outside of war, Manda is the only summon I can see going on a village flattening mission anyway.

Katsuyu and Bunta probably aren't up for mass slaughter and would, seeing only weak shinobi, tell their summoners to fuck off and take care of the small fries themselves if they want to get rid of them so badly.

Manda has a healthy amount of pride too, but it's been shown that his pride can be shut off when the sacrifices range in the hundreds. So he's your go-to snake for devastating villages.

2. Bramastra

Bramastra Groundskeeper

3rd Shinobi War

3. MarshallTito

MarshallTito Squib

Title: Firestorm
    Author: Carumati
    Rating: T
    Genre: Suspense/Adventure
    Pairing: None
    Fandom: Naruto
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4739269/1/FireStorm

AU. No one could have imagined the Kage position as a prison. As the Godaime, Naruto has a few choice words for the situation he found himself in. Tensions are high all around and danger is looming in the north. He has a village to protect- Konohakagure.

Firestorm is the only quality young hokage naruto fic that I have read. It paints an accurate picture of what would happen if a kid ended up in the position. When you first read it, you might think that it just your average oppressed naruto fic, but if you keep going it will all make sense in the end.

I think it's great. Let me know what y'all think.

4. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

You seem to be underestimating Shinobi. A good jutsu from a decently skilled shinobi is large enough to seriously harm them. If people could fight with bijuu then they could fight with summons.

I don't see Hinata as being all that less pathetic than Sakura(at least as kids). I think Naruto's doing the same thing as Sakura isn't seen as being as bad because he otherwise makes himself useful. Kid Sasuke didn't just meet Sakura and start being a dick. I think she's known and harassed him for about half of their lives. At that point it was clear that he wasn't interested so callously ignoring her attempts to ask him out is warrented. Even then he only really insulted her when she was going on about how lucky Naruto was to not have parents.

5. sonny_yalin

sonny_yalin Third Year

Haven't seen this one in a while, haha. I read it around 2011, so my memory of this fic is fuzzy. I do remember that it was an interesting take on Naruto hokage stories, at the very least.

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, the Hidan and Sakura story is amusing and entertaining, although I still find it to be a rather weak plot point that Orochimaru had to torture Sakura for anything, even if it was for breaking Sasuke. That said, it is not really a big factor and it is otherwise a fun story.

7. MarshallTito

MarshallTito Squib

A lot of good fics are from before 2011, specifically before the whole shinobi alliance business. Canon basically took a nosedive after the pain arc, which may have discouraged some writers from pursuing stories in the fandom.

It was an interesting take on hokage naruto and ninja politics in general. It also portrays Danzo, and by extension, the council as an institution that acts ruthlessly for the sake of Konoha -- at Naruto's expense, unfortunately.

Anyway, I just want to put another fic out there. I kind of want to post them here first and see what you guys think.

Title: The Price of Peace
    Author: Boranbolt
    Rating: T
    Genre: Suspense/Drama
    Pairing: Naruto/Hanabi
    Fandom: Naruto
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9309848/1/The-Price-of-Peace

Six years after the Fourth Ninja War the world still isn't peaceful. What will Konoha do against an unknown enemy with strange powers and a familiar enemy who is still after revenge when their overworked trump card is sick of being used, irritated by Konoha's hypocrisy, and tired of the endless fighting? Naruto X Hanabi with hints of Naruto X Sasame (mostly one-sided).

This is what would probably happen at the end of the 4th shinobi war (not naruto fighting some moon people in a movie, the title of which shall not be mentioned). It is also the only good Naruto x Hanabi story I have read so far, aside from a couple of oneshots.

I also changed the rating from M to T and changed the genre from Adventure/Romance to Suspense/Drama, since it is more accurate.

: Just found out that someone already posted a link to this story earlier. Problem is he just mentioned it off-offhandedly.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  8. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Hm... I remember this. Read it during a Naruto/Hanabi binge I went on a while back. It was... okay, I suppose. I vaguely remember being annoyed because the author randomly inserted a bunch of Digimon characters into the story because he couldn't be bothered to come up with OCs.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The Perfect Jutsu updated.

10. MarshallTito

MarshallTito Squib

I somewhat agree with you. But what bothered me more is that he came up with the three genin OCs, only to announce in an author's note that they wouldn't have any real roles to play as the story progresses. Probably the only reason for them being in the story is so that the author is able to show readers what ordinary folks think of naruto.

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Firestorm is bad. No, it's not just bad, it's shit. Think of every annoying thing one can meet in Naruto fanfiction, and Firestorm has it.

12. MarshallTito

MarshallTito Squib

Pray, elaborate.

13. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Arbitrary katanas with little to no actual impact on the plot/fights, ANBU acting as babysitters, Naruto basically doing all of Sarutobi's paperwork at 12 (and no, this isn't Shezza level work), Naruto being way stronger than canon but limiting his full abilities just so he can achieve the exact results as he did in canon, spamming of the phrase 'precious people', Naruto actually knowing a surprisingly larger amount of people than canon, yet still not diverting fro the canon plotline, new clothes, completely 'accidental' creation of a Rasengan knock-off, moderate character bashing, terrible angst, huge walls of text, awful writing, I could go on. On and on and on, but I won't.

Oh, and also. This fic has literally the worst case of 'Let's add random Japanese words for funsies' I have ever come across. Literally, I have never read a story more guilty of this retarded trope. Like, a fifth of the words are Japanese, and for exactly zero reason.

I made it to chapter 2.

1/5 Why would you even rec this.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  14. MarshallTito

MarshallTito Squib

Ah, the Japanese phrases and the precious people can get really annoying, I concede. A lot of the other things you said are also true, though those things aren't as annoying to me as they seem to be to you.

But once you get to chapter 3, things will start making sense. I was able to muscle through the first two chapters because I liked the interactions between Naruto and the Ebisu group, and the fact that naruto had people he cared for who are not Team 7.

The story portrays a Naruto that starts out mostly like is in canon, but he changes as reality sinks in. All i can say without giving everything away is that there are no good guys in this story. There are only the bad guys, and those whose interests aren't the same as Naruto's (whose interests change as time goes by).

So despite it's flaws, I still believe it deserves a read. If nothing else, it deserves some consideration for being one of the realistic Hokage naruto stories.

To each his own though.

15. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You're free to like shit if you wish. But don't pass it off as 'Quality'.

16. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

To be fair it was written in 2008. That makes it old. At best it is a fic which hasn't aged well, at worst it is just another bad fic.
    As for the story itself, I couldn't make it past the first chapter. It was just too dated for my tastes

17. MarshallTito

MarshallTito Squib

I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. And yes it is a bit dated.

18. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Yeah, I'm definitely enjoying it; probably worth putting up for review in the morning

19. Fudoutoku

Fudoutoku Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Ricochet is a feelsride I dont think I can take much more of.

20. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Only couple chapters in, cheers for the rec. Never seen this before, I don't exactly keep up to date with these side threads but it's not bad.

If I remember/feel like I it will comment later when finished.

:nyan: