1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Worm Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by NoxedSalvation, Nov 12, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Holy shit, you guys are actually making me feel young with all your talk of pre-FF.net fanfiction communities.

2. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

so slightly offtopic for *fanfiction* discussion purposes, but earlier it came up in the chatroom that wildbow may have to change Skitter's cape name for any eventual published version because of reasons.

worm itself was posted before the intro comic came out, but Skitter wasn't named as such until right around that time... possibly later.

thoughts? rants? shrugs?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  3. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There are many, many, different characters who share the same name.

http://whatculture.com/comics/10-pa...m-different-franchises-with-the-same-name.php
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NamesTheSame

This ain't no thing and there's no need to turn it into one.

4. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

*shrug*. wb is the one who brought it up in chat. i thought it merited further discussion

besides, most of these examples are between two established verses whose creators could prolly afford to hash it out.

between one of those and a relative newcomer... would they be as accepting? i think the general thought by the time i logged out was that DC would be jerks and try to slap it down

5. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd want to talk to someone familiar with IP law before saying "it's fine", but there doesn't appear to be a trademark for Skitter from DC Comics. If Wildbow wants to secure Skitter as his, then perhaps he should look at that. DC have plenty of trademarks to protect their more iconic characters. He may as well snag Skitter now and add to his defence of the character and name.

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

6. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

To move things away from the twin conversational pitfalls of Lionheart and copyright law, here are a couple recommendations:

Straight Edge [Nasu x Worm], by fallacies

The protagonist here is Shirou, but it isn't a simple cut and paste, with him transposed into the Earth Bet as a hero. The setting is more of a fusion than anything else, hypothesizing that magecraft and the various supernatural organisms of the Moonlit World are all Shard-based. If you've read anything by fallacies before, you'll know that he puts a tremendous amount of effort into the world-building. Here, it pays off.

Balance-wise, Shirou's been impressively creative with his abilities without having too easy a time of it. Straight-Edge showcases a lot of innovative uses for Projection and Tracing that don't involve blowing up gratuitous amounts of real-estate with a Wave-Motion Sword. As for the plot, Shirou comes to Brockton Bay, takes a construction job, and winds up fighting Nazis. I don't want to spoil anything beyond that. Read it, it's good.

Agent of Cauldron [Worm AU], by Zeitchen

The butterfly here is simple: someone assassinates Eidolon. This kicks up an unholy shitstorm, pushing Cauldron out of their canonical complacency, and forcing them to call in favors to deal with the fallout. The story follows the assassin for the most part, who is not Taylor, but makes frequent use of interludes to show not only who's doing what, but why they're doing it.

Unlike most stories involving Cauldron, Agent avoids flanderizing or whitewashing them. Despite doing monstrous things, they're working for the salvation of humanity as a species. There's less focus on Brockton Bay and the usual crew, since Cauldron's an interdimensional cabal. It's refreshing to read about something new and the worldbuilding is quite good.

7. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Agents of Cauldron is very good-- for what's there. I'm following with a lot of interest, but with wariness.

The power of the character is interesting-- it seems a less target-restricted PtV with a more limited time limit, which is an interesting way of doing things. Alexandria is awesome, as usual.

8. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Anyone following Fulcrum? It's an England-centric story with OCs as the protagonists but keeping the known groups like the King's Men and Suits. It doesn't seem very AU, merely a story about the same cape game (low level) set in a different place.

Hasn't really gotten rolling yet but what's been written is good, and it's set in a completely different and fresh location, for people who'd be interested in that.

It's following a young Tinker right now but there's indications that we'll get other characters.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  9. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

That Straight Edge story is exciting, but confusing. I'm not familiar with Nasuverse at all, so I'm kinda just taking things as they come. So far, so good.

10. Lavanya Six

Lavanya Six Squib

Very nice!

I like the global perspective. I'm also impressed by how author manages to convey an Original Flavor vibe. You don't see that a lot in the fandom.

11. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

Go gently updated again, hmmm I feel like the author could do a much better job of the crossover, feels kinda forced.

12. cash0maker

cash0maker Third Year

Centipedes Eat Worms

Its a crossover with some fandom I have never read, you don't need to either. It's slow to start when main character isn't that fleshed out, But once it gets going, It's hilarious!

Main plot is ' an SI gets lobotomized by the guy he is trying to take over '.

13. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

The title alone is a review for this story. Painfully edgy and 'cool' storytelling. Just like the name suggests.

14. Dn18

Dn18 Third Year

I have been keeping up with it and the story is okay. It's interesting enough to keep me reading and as a good time waster but so far there isn't anything to make me get excited over an update. I would give it a 3-3.5 out of 5. Could easily be upgraded if it develops more of a plot.

15. Biigoh

Biigoh First Year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy_JRGjc1To

A surprising update for Goblin Queen! where [CENSORED] happens in Goblin Queen! ALL THE [CENSORED]!
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9683187/135/ FFnet Archive
    https://forums.spacebattles.com/posts/18125625/ SB Archive
    https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/376597/ QQ Archive
    https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/posts/3899533/ SV Archive

16. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Since this thread is huge, I can't get through it, but I am looking for some recommendations for Worm stories.

Preferably an AU which has a character with some new original powers. Can be a major character or a minor one. And it should be quite long or even complete if possible. Thanks in advance mates.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    An easy way to find links is to use the Search This Thread option at the top to search for http://.

18. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Made this spreadsheet when I was still reading Worm fics. Create a filter (Temporary filter) to sort by rating or another category.

I also removed my comments since it was mostly what I didn't like about the story, nothing positive and Skitter is the general name I used for all stories instead of using whatever hero/villain name was used in the fic.

https://docs.google.com

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We'd need edit rights to be able to use the filters.

20. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

Create a temporary filter.

Not open for further replies.