1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

We do know that there will be Native Americans in the movie, so I fully expect to see some cool stuff from them.

2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Someone just watched National Treasure.

3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If I had to guess at the plot, I'd say Newt is a well-meaning, albeit eccentric, young magizoologist who is down on his luck and thinking about giving up. His dreams of being world-renowned in his field of study are fading right before his eyes, as all attempts to find and name unknown beasts are usurped by other, more financially-stable wizards or those with more experience. But, just as he's about to give up completely, he finds a book that leads him to America, where the natives have supposedly found the most wondrous animals, though none have yet classified or studied them. Teaming up with a reckless crew of adventurers, far wilder and braver than Newt, it takes a while until he believes in their efforts. The group begins to quarrel as hunger, greed and genuine distaste for each other start to tear them apart. Initially distraught with their lack of success, things change swiftly as Newt soon finds himself in a world of trains, natives and gold, trying desperately to hold on to his morals, his head, and, inevitably, his new love...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All of these proposed synopses sound a little too 'adventure novel' for something JKR is penning herself. Say what you will about her worldbuilding and literary choices, the woman doesn't do generic storytelling even when she's using tired tropes.

5. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

New stills from the movie: Here

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Heh. Magical Congress of the United States of America. Look at that giant gold seal... looks like the MACUSA certainly has a good amount of cash.

[​IMG]

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aww, they finally get to make a Harry Potter movie and use American actors. They must be thrilled. :3

8. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Is anyone reminded of the Eleventh Doctor when they look at his costume? I remember when Matt Smith was rumored to be casted. Still, Eddie Redmayne is an amazing actor, hope the movie turns out good.

Will this be considered canon?

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I imagine we can consider the worldbuilding involved to be like book canon. Movies will probably take some creative license with magic and stuff, like the original series did.

I predict a surge of USA based fics building on top things like this Magical Congress.

As for the pic, the coat is quite dashing. I can kind of see English Wizard Indiana Jones there.

10. Seratin

High Score:
    I never even considered the amount of fanon Americana sank that will pour from this. Alexandra Quick will probably get rewrites.

11. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

12. Seratin

High Score:
    That's it.

I'm out.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "No-Maj" looks pretty bad in written form, but actually it sounds fine. Rolls off the tongue quite easily. Luckily, the movie is audio-visual media not text.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Blergh. Didn't we read this back in '06? Or was it something else?

Okay, it's just one detail, but seriously. Someone, somewhere was actually paid because he said "I think americans have different slang for nonmagical people. We need something properly american-sounding. I propose nomaj. You know, from 'no magic'?"

Blergh.

15. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Uh... Compared Rowling wrote the script, it was probably her.

16. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

"Jes luk at those nomajs," Sabrina said, applying some Ever-Shiny Nail Polish to her toenails. "Totes basic."

17. Consumptus

Consumptus Groundskeeper

Is the etymology of Muggle ever explained? I would have been fine with some non-explanation about how muggle was from the 500s bc and the american settlers just never stopped using english slang.

18. Philemon

Philemon Second Year

The heavy nasals, the implied Midwestern twang, that massively sonorous affricate word-finally - this my friend is what a Brit from Edinburgh thinks American slang sounds like. For best results, hit that first stressed syllable with a white-girl falling tone, and you've got something no American would ever be caught dead saying. It's more American than America will ever be, which in itself is the most American thing imaginable.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds kind of dumb, but so did "Muggle" fifteen-ish years ago so maybe it'll catch on.

20. Philemon

Philemon Second Year

Here's one for you: following verbs of a similar paradigm (struggle, snuggle, juggle etc.), muggle was incorporated as a frequentative of the verb "to mug" in the 17th century. Probably this is due to the same political factors which lead to the statute of secrecy, as many Wizards were "muggled" in the streets at that time. Soon this was gerundized into "done a muggle", at which point it quickly went through morpho-syntactic reanalysis to become the pejorative noun "muggle"; the verb form died out.

^Proud of this one because all words of the *uggle paradigm appear to have descended from Old Norse, and all turned into frequentatives in the 17th century. Mug descends from Old Norse as well. There you go buddy, you wanted an etymology, there's your fucking etymology. BOOM.

But it won't stop the degenerate Americans and their flat, toneless "no-maj"