1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I played Destiny at launch up through and including the first raid (vault of glass I think?). Great game, but got tedious with upgrading gear and such (have heard this has since been rectified). I had it on the xbox 360 but since I'm now on the xbox1, I haven't bothered to get the new console version of the game though I hear it's possible to transfer characters.

CoD.... meh. I've lost track of them all. I found them enjoyable enough, but the constant new re-iterations have long lost their appeal. The last one I've actually played is Black Ops 2, though I have Ghosts (It's still wrapped in plastic.) It bothers me how they've slowly removed split-screen co-op modes up to the point where there's no point in having friends over to play.

Gears of War was pretty decent. The chainsaw bayonette was pretty sweet, but by the time the third one came out, I stopped caring - that one is still wrapped in plastic too. There just wasn't enough depth, but somehow they managed to turn what was planned to be a trilogy into a cash-grab.

I enjoy Halo. I still remember the days of Halo 1 lan parties... and when Halo 2 introduced mass online multiplayer, the whole world seemed to change. Releases are sporadic enough that I will pick them up - I've played them all except for ODST, and I've nearly maxed out on achievement points for them all.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TF came out March the year after launch.

3. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

my bad, I still think it was a rush job because there isn't enough content.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    Can't argue with that.

I'd have probably played it if there was a campaign. That world sounds super interesting, it just needs character and non-pvp content.

Still, had they sold it for 40 instead of 60, or even launched F2P with launch content, I feel it could have been big.

5. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

RE: Destiny and CoD I agree with you. I don't see any real reason to buy another CoD until they do something groundbreaking. I also had never played Gears of War until I just recently picked up the ultimate edition so I'm new to the franchise and I think it's awesome so far. The only thing that is a drawback for me regarding Halo 5 is that they are cutting splitscreen support for the title... which in my opinion really sucks!

Actually the games that are coming out this holiday season that interest me the most are Rise of the Tomb Raider and to a lesser extent Fallout 4. I am also looking forward to Uncharted 4 next year.

---------- Post automerged at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

well we can both look forward to titanfall 2!!! :)

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It seriously bothers me about how many games are cutting back on split screen coop, and it's not just shooters either. It isn't a new phenomena, as on the xbox 360 I sometimes struggled to find a decent 2 player rpg. On the xbox one, they're almost non-existent, even in arcade games. We've done dungeon siege 3 (decent timewaster with a friend), some D&D arcade game (barely playable, decent timewaster with a friend). LoTR - War in the North (decent timewaster, even if it seems the plot stops really suddenly). That's a lot of meh to decent-ish games. The only real jewels to come out in the last 5 years are borderlands and Diablo 3, the latter of which is interesting in that the gameplay is excellent, but is marred by the fact that there's 4 difficulty settings in which you play through the game that many times, which is hard to convince a friend to do. Outside of the rpgs, we do play a lot of the typical shooters. We've co-oped every single Halo release on legendary thus far, and we'll play some of the random shooters like Army of Two and Medal of Honor, and we'll usually find some time to play nazi zombies or the various wave survival modes.

7. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

Bad news... halo 5 isn't splitscreen. Which sucks because it's kinda their thing. Halo: CE splitscreen was my first love destroying my brother.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    They've obv done the metrics on games they're dropping it on.

9. Gengar

High Score:
  10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have everything crossed. EVERYTHING.

So much coming out in 2016, and after this multi-year dry-spell with only 2 or 3 RPG titles of note, I feel a bit like an alcoholic in the middle of withdrawal who's been invited to an all-you-can-drink happy hour.

Next year is going to be terrible for my wallet.

---------- Post automerged at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

Star Wars: Uprising on iOS/android/gplay just came out today. New canon, simple but still pretty damn fun, and totally free. Hooray for not-shitty mobile games!

Battery and data hog, so accomodate accordingly.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    You mean jrpgs, right? Been drowning in wrpgs lately, lol.

I think disgea5 is out imminently anyways.

12. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    October 6 in NA, 9 here in Europe.

I hear it has a shitload of DLC, though. Even Laharl and his crew aren't naturally in the game, apparently.
    On the other hand, I hear nothing but praise for the gameplay so far.

EDIT: Now that we're talking about JRPGs anyway, I've been playing through (the HD remake of) FFX for the first time. It's pretty good, though the character designs teeter on the edge of retardation sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  13. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm surprised, always felt like it wouldn't hold up well at all. Wasn't it one of the earlier fully voice acted games? Or at least JRPG.

I don't think I could handle my joyous memories of Blitzball being tarnished either, lol.

I've heard leaks regarding Kingdom Hearts 2.9 on ps4 too. Curious whether it's a collection (1, 2 and BBS pref) or something like Duscae. Totally down for either.

14. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, it's fully voice acted. It's even got some infamous bits of voice acting here and there (that laugh, Christ).

And Kingdom Hearts is getting another game? Damn. How many more games can they shove in before we finally get 3? The whole storyline is just an utter clusterfuck of Xenahort all over the place now.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Not a new game. You have to expect a hd remaster at the very least before 3 on the 4/one.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yes.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Lulu's push-up corset dress made from hundreds of leather belts was obviously designed with function and comfort in mind.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Sum um uprising for me and sell it. I started and it looks like an isometric adventure - not a perspective I want to play on my phone...

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Only at L20, but it seems mostly to be a standard upgrade based ARPG with different classes that unlock as you progress (I've only accessed three so far). Each class has about six to eight abilities and you can mix and match them all to suit your playstyle.

You put in time doing missions, upgrade your gear with the rewards, and that in turn boosts your gear rating, allowing you to access succesively harder levels that yield chances at better loot tiers (grey white green blue purple orange legendary). Hundreds of different gear sets to collect and upgrade. Each piece has a different look at each tier. Yes, there is stormtrooper armor.

The combat is simple and intuitive dungeon-crawler-esque action. I wish it were harder, but mobile and touchbased have obvious limitations.

All the supplementary features work well. Coop is nicely implemented. There's guild functionality too. Public chat. Timed resource helper missions while you're not active. Something akin to a raid event that unlocks new worlds for the server if the Uprising wins is supposed to happen every few days, but I have yet to see it happen.

Thus far there's not much story other than you're a smuggler whose interests are similarly alligned with a budding rebellion in this isolated sector where the Empire is clinging to power by pretending Palpatine is still alive. I'm dicking around on Hoth right now, killing shit and trying to farm credits and materials to upgrade my maxed greens to blues.

It's not ground breaking stuff, but it's a good timewaster if you're craving some Star Wars.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    How are other classes implemented? I'm lvl 12 now. Is it just buying their abilities and equipping the req gear? I see smuggler (which I assumed I already was) and Enforcer.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Exactly. I think they unlock as you complete certain story quests. Bodyguard and Rebel Guerilla (which I just found) should show up soonish.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
Not open for further replies.